I need a good way to spice up plain brown rice

I really like eating Grilled Chicken Breast, Veggies, and Brown Rice, but its soooo plain. Is there a really easy way to spice up the rice. I haven't really tried anything. I'm not very creative in the kitchen. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'd really appreciate it.

Replies

• I really like eating Grilled Chicken Breast, Veggies, and Brown Rice, but its soooo plain. Is there a really easy way to spice up the rice. I haven't really tried anything. I'm not very creative in the kitchen. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'd really appreciate it.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Take a large skillet with lid
    add 2 tbls olive oil
    1 whole bell pepper diced (any color)
    1/2 yellow onion diced
    2 cloved garlic minced
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 cup brown rice

Heat the oil up in the skillet over med heat add all the above.
    Stir stir stir for about 3 minutes
    add 2 cups of water or broth bring to boil and cover.
    Reduce heat and cook until tender
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    I add salsa to my rice, works great with chicken!
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Add a tablespoon of salsa on top of the rice. I used to eat it like this all the time!
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    I add Italian Seasoning to EVERYTHING!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    There is lots of things that you can add to rice to make it tastier. Diced tomatoes, eggplant, squash, peppers, onions, corn, ect. Also I like to layer fat free refried beans, chicken and brown rice on a low cal tortilla wrap it and then grill it up on a flat grill or george foreman type of thing. Either that or may need to check out your spice cabinet. Good luck
  • My son likes to add teriyaki glaze sauce or sometimes soy sauce.
    You might like cream of chicken soup undeluted, with your chicken and rice.
    We've even used broccolli and cheese soups with chicken and rice. I'm sure the stores must sell reduced or FF soups.
    Just a Quick idea to try. Hope it helps.
  • Thank you all so much. I'll try them out. Thanks.
  • Try adding cinnamon or cumin/coriander. Both are good paired with brown rice.
  • kbglazier
    kbglazier Posts: 39 Member
    I use the boil in bag brown rice, but I always use fat free/low sodium chicken broth when I boil it instead of water. That gives it a nice flavor. Also, the pre-minced garlic (about a tsp) added helps too.
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    add a can of stewed tomatoes
  • Two words:

HOT SAUCE. I put it on everything. Even sandwiches. :love: Mmm.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Instead of using water, use low sodium beef, chicken or veggie broth when you cook it.
    Makes a difference!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Instead of using water, use low sodium beef, chicken or veggie broth when you cook it.
    Makes a difference!

This is what I do, too. You can also use Mrs Dash in one of the many flavors. It's a quick and simple boost. :smile:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Instead of using water, use low sodium beef, chicken or veggie broth when you cook it.
    Makes a difference!

This is what I do, too. You can also use Mrs Dash in one of the many flavors. It's a quick and simple boost. :smile:
    Ooohhh.. I never thought of using Mrs. D.
    Thanks!