Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What exercises for people over 200?

Where did you start and with what exercises? For people around the 200 range? What did you start with, I've done yoga, I like it but I know I need more variation and help and so, from experience, where did you start?

Also Gym or home equipment?

Your opinions please!

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    If you're 200 years old I'd just give up hun. Other than that, I have NO idea
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    All of them.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Sorry, that wasn't helpful.

I'm 100kg (about 220lbs) and I don't limit my exercise based on my weight. I can do anything. Running isn't my favorite thing to do but I *shrug* don't limit yourself because of a number.
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    I was about 200lbs when I started and I haven't limited my exercise at all. I, personally, prefer to exercise at home, but it's all down to whether or not you feel confident enough to exercise in public. :)
  • RF3377
    RF3377 Posts: 97
    I started off at 211 lbs and only started walking short distances for 20 to 30 mins every second night for the first few weeks
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Anything is the right answer. The only exercises which I do now but didn't at 200 lb+ were swimming and running, but this was more to do with feeling self conscious in public rather than ability.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    If you're 200 years old I'd just give up hun. Other than that, I have NO idea

Charming. Really.

Now... to the OP:

I run, I cycle, I swim and I lift weights. I've been doing this for quite some time. I've lost a lot of weight, but am still above 200. I started with walking, but quite quickly started factoring in other exercise.

I ran a half marathon last month (albeit slowly) and am training for my second half.

You can do whatever you want to, lovely. Just take it easy, build up slowly, and listen to your body as you do it. Don't feel your weight holds you back. It is a challenge you can overcome.

Walking away from my half I overheard two quite serious runners. One gestured to a very large girl, coming into the stadium, and made a disparaging comment about her weight. His friend turned to him and said 'you know what, carrying that weight with her, that girl's achievement is incredible - it's so much harder when you're big. She deserves your admiration.'. I wanted to kiss that second bloke.

Go do it. You know you can.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    At 250 lbs I was doing Weight training, C25K, Zumba, TaeBo, swimming....... give it a go - your body will love you for it!!
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Im over 200 and do zumba, tae bo, lots of walks, weights, rowing machine etc, I don't really let my size stop me at all! As someone else said, I find running a bit hard but am working up to it :)
  • ChantelZf
    ChantelZf Posts: 81 Member
    I agree, nothing is going to limit me but myself. I started with yoga at 275, when I really hurt my shoulders, before I decided I was going to do it as a life style change. And then I went harder at it just as away to get more conditioned for the activity I neglected and working some aerobics I guess into it.

I was just wondering how others were going at increasing and what they were doing. if anyone else had a way to do it that they truly enjoyed. just like yourself running is not what i consider enjoyable, although something i promised myself i will learn to love.
  • Midnight1210
    Midnight1210 Posts: 134 Member
    A walk for about 30-60 minutes is a good way to start getting your metabolism going and if you can manage a slow paced jog for short periods - that's good too. But don't push yourslef too hard at first. Focus on a goal (either a certain distance or a specific time) and build slowly from each successful goal reached.

Start slow, build your stamina and endurance, and you will see results. They don't come overnight, but I promise if you never quit, you will succeed.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish.

Good luck!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    I started off about 251lbs - I am 223-ish now (weigh in tomorrow)

I:
    Lift handweights 1kg to 4kg about 3/4 times a week
    Cycle 60-90 mins a day about 6 times a week
    Walk for up to an hour every day
    Do 90 mins yoga once a week.
    Hoover 4 flights of stairs and landings twice a week (300 cals a go - don't scoff! :)
    (My dairy is open - feel free to look)

I started off walking an hour or cycling an hour a day and built up from there bar last week as we were on holiday where I ate some junk but managed about 2 hours walking a day. (No dreaded holiday weight gain!)

The trick at 200lbs+ is to START.WITH.ANYTHING. Does not matter what.
    Start, get fitter and keep challenging yourself.

Walking
    Cycling
    Lifting
    Yoga

These are all things heavier girls can go that burn lots of cals. Buy some wrist/ankle weights and put them on when you walk. I have a 4kg hand-weight that I put in my rucksack when I go walking in the evening. (God help the first sap who tries to mug me!! :) If you don't want to buy hand-weights, two 2kg bags of flour will do just as well.

>Feel free to add me as a friend if you like<

Best of luck!
    xx
  • ChantelZf
    Well, It seems I've started the same way everyone else has, I forgot to mention I've been working on C25K for a few weeks. One thing that I've found holding me back is personal equipment or gym. I cant decide; I should make a pro and cons list.

Also I fond it encouraging that start the same ways you've had and know all of you's have had such great success so far.
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    I think the best exercise for me is walking, honestly. I used to walk everywhere, to the shops, the bank, the enjoyable bit was that I wasn't just walking to be fit, but walking for a reason. It makes it less.. 'boring' shall we say, if you're doing it for a reason.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Walking and Leslie Sansone videos. Both make a great start and aren't too difficult or hard on your joints.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    I didn't limit myself at all. If I wanted to do the exercise I did. C25K was a great driver for me because I had friends who were doing it, too. The majority of my workouts were at home, both inside & out.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Well, It seems I've started the same way everyone else has, I forgot to mention I've been working on C25K for a few weeks. One thing that I've found holding me back is personal equipment or gym. I cant decide; I should make a pro and cons list.

Also I fond it encouraging that start the same ways you've had and know all of you's have had such great success so far.

C25 is *great*. When you are able to get to a gym, I'd strongly suggest adding some lifting (with good heavy weights, not the girly pastel ones).

For the running, do just make sure you have the right shoes. Your knees will thank you! :-)
  • ChantelZf
    Those two things you mentioned are exactly the issues im working on right now, shoes that are good but would take a whole paycheck and a gym membership later today I'm going to go the gym and see if I like it, and then see it I actually have time/will make time for it. And seeing as this also cost money which takes my of my time to make, it's something important to me to look into before committing
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    yup i started at 232. Things were much much harder.. and I could do a whole lot less of them than I can do now.. but just get started. Start with some of the biggest loser videos. I think you will surprise yourself. :)
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Wife and I both started in the mid 200's with c25k, 30 Day shred, Exercise bike, walking, what can't you do being that weight?

I saw the comment about "Your body will love it", I think mine is more likely plotting ways to kill me :smile: