Disappointed in slow rate of weight loss...

Options
I started at 198 (I'm 5' 2.5"), and with dieting alone lost an average of 2.5 pounds a week. Now that I'm 134 and running and cycling, I'm losing about 0.8 a week. Intellectually, I know that my rate of loss has slowed because my BMR and TDEE hae decreased a lot, so my deficit can only shrink too, but every time I get on the scale I expect to see a big loss and then get disappointed :/

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Instead of being disappointed, maybe you should be proud of your weight loss, hard work and dedication.
  • FitformeNena
    Options
    Don't be discouraged...you've come along way...don't focus on the scale focus on healthy lifestyle & watch the change come...:flowerforyou:
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I feel you pain!
    I am still far from my goal, and dont see the results I would like to see. It's sooo slow.. Would love to lose at least 5 pounds per weeks!
    But unless you have a eating disorder, it wont happen.
    As I once read: As long as you are not gaining.... it's ok.
    Also, if you are this close to your goal and you are very active, your muscles will build up so take weight. But it's good weight! =)

Keep it up!
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Instead of being disappointed, maybe you should be proud of your weight loss, hard work and dedication.

I am proud, and I'm trying not to be disappointed. I need to change the way I think about it... I hadn't weighed for 2 weeks and got on the scale today hoping to see a two pound loss, which I thought was conservative, but I was down 1.3. I need to hope for smaller amounts so I can get excited it they're a bit bigger!
  • sarah2954
    Options
    Don't be discouraged...you've come along way...don't focus on the scale focus on healthy lifestyle & watch the change come...:flowerforyou:

I tried to not weight for a month but only made it 2 weeks :embarassed:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, at least you are still loosing. They say the closer you get to GW the harder it is to get those last few pounds to shed. I get disappointed too. I've been dieting and exercising for 6 1/2 months now, I've lost 29 pounds, only an average of 4-5 pounds a month, very depressing. Just keep at it, and I'll keep at it too, maybe we can slowly shed the rest of this off....sigh
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Be proud of your progress so far. I'm 5'4" and lose about a pound a week. It's hard when you're short especially when you get near your goal. I still have 22 pounds to go so I'm at the beginning, but I figure when I have about 10 pounds to lose it will be harder to maintain the speed.

You must look pretty good by now at 134.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Don't be disappointed! You've done a lot of work to lose what you have. Just remember, you didn't gain it fast and you're not going to lose it fast. Your body could be slowing down because it's getting to a comfortable place. Try changing up some things such as your workout.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

I am proud, and I'm trying not to be disappointed. I need to change the way I think about it... I hadn't weighed for 2 weeks and got on the scale today hoping to see a two pound loss, which I thought was conservative, but I was down 1.3. I need to hope for smaller amounts so I can get excited it they're a bit bigger!

Are you taking measurements or just doing the scale? I take measurements every week and even on weeks I maintain on the scale I always loose inches.
  • sarah2954
    Options
    I feel you pain!
    I am still far from my goal, and dont see the results I would like to see. It's sooo slow.. Would love to lose at least 5 pounds per weeks!
    But unless you have a eating disorder, it wont happen.
    As I once read: As long as you are not gaining.... it's ok.
    Also, if you are this close to your goal and you are very active, your muscles will build up so take weight. But it's good weight! =)

Keep it up!

Thanks :) My fiance still has a lot to lose, so although I'm sooooo proud of him and don't want him to slow down, it can be irritating when he's lost a bunch!
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ohmigawsh, I'm so jealous! I think you're doing great. It's natural to be a little disappointed when you don't do as well as you have been, but you're still doing pretty awesome!
  • sarah2954
    Options

Are you taking measurements or just doing the scale? I take measurements every week and even on weeks I maintain on the scale I always loose inches.

I take measurements too. I'm not changing much. but that's because I'm so close to goal. I just really need to reassess where I am and where I'm going.... I'm not at a point where I need to lose a lot anymore, but my thinking is still there.
  • sferguson65
    sferguson65 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You have done so good. I hope I can accomplish what u have.
  • sarah2954
    Options
    Thanks everyone :happy:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    OP you are losing 0.8lbs per week, I can't see what the problem is to be honest.

Everybody telling you not to worry, there is nothing to actually worry about, you are losing weight, end of.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    OP you are losing 0.8lbs per week, I can't see what the problem is to be honest.

Everybody telling you not to worry, there is nothing to actually worry about, you are losing weight, end of.

Im going to offer this view on top of this quoted post:

Why are you willingly allowing yourself to stress over something you are already doing? You are losing weight still. But yet you willingly get stressed over the number.

You are going to cause your body to create cortisol - a stress hormone that will contribute to weight stall and weight gain.... and if you do stall or gain weight back, it will be because you are allowing yourself to be stressed over a number.....thus making you, the individual responsible for stalling/gaining weight...... you just admitted about how you attempted to hold off weighing yourself for a month but gave-in and did a weight check within 2 weeks.

Seriously... you have to stop stressing over absolutely nothing. Youre ideal should be celebrating each and every loss. Stop using the scale and take measurements ....
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It seems there is a lot of information on hitting a "plateau". You are still losing, so you haven't hit a plateau, but maybe reading up on how to change what you are doing would help--just a thought.

I have read the advise of others telling people to eat more, to lose more, mix up the exercise, change things to make your body respond to more change.

Good luck and congratulations for losing as much as you have and staying positive!
  • sarah2954
    Options

Im going to offer this view on top of this quoted post:

Why are you willingly allowing yourself to stress over something you are already doing? You are losing weight still. But yet you willingly get stressed over the number.

You are going to cause your body to create cortisol - a stress hormone that will contribute to weight stall and weight gain.... and if you do stall or gain weight back, it will be because you are allowing yourself to be stressed over a number.....thus making you, the individual responsible for stalling/gaining weight...... you just admitted about how you attempted to hold off weighing yourself for a month but gave-in and did a weight check within 2 weeks.

Seriously... you have to stop stressing over absolutely nothing. Youre ideal should be celebrating each and every loss. Stop using the scale and take measurements ....

I totally agree with both of these statements. As I said, I was used to losing 2.5/week, so 0.8 is disappointing, but it shouldn't be. I need to change my outlook...

I don't think my body could possibly produce more cortisol, I'm a mom to 3 kids and a law student :tongue:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with both of these statements. As I said, I was used to losing 2.5/week, so 0.8 is disappointing, but it shouldn't be. I need to change my outlook...

I don't think my body could possibly produce more cortisol, I'm a mom to 3 kids and a law student :tongue:

Boy oh boy, you are so very wrong.... I have patients at work who could definitely prove you wrong 8-(
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I hear you - the closer I got to goal, the more my weight loss slowed down. I now average 0.5 - 1lbs. per week which was/is frustrating because ideally, I'd like to lose another 5-15lbs and I want it gone quickly! However, I started looking at it from a different perspective, I'm now (categorically) at a healthy weight, so anything I lose going forward is a bonus, not a requirement.