colder weather and food.

Options
There has been a cold snap in Arkansas and I can't stop eating. Do lower temps mean bigger appetites?::grumble:

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Cold weather + PMS = chowhound.
  • number7
    number7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've heard that cold weather doesn't necessarily cause you to be hungry, but that if it affects your mood, that will be what makes you want eat. Definately true for me sometimes..
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The change of season has affected my mood making me want to eat more.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I believe this is true. 50% of Montanans are overweight and I blame it on the bitter weather. When it's below zero no one wants to be outside in it and people aren't as active. We hunker down and stay inside.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Cold weather + PMS = chowhound.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I actually just heard on the radio earlier that yes people tend to eat more this time of year. People say it's the holidays... it's not the holidays its the fall weather. Just like every animal we tend to pack it on during the "bountiful fall harvest season" in preparation for winter.
  • Grate
    Grate Posts: 71
    Options
    Grrrrrr!! It's true........
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    This past week has been HORRIBLE for me as far as eating. Good food, bad food...too much food. The weather changed way too fast. 80 one day, 45 the next. Yesterday, I did great. My secret? HOT GREEN TEA with a little bit of honey. I must have drank like 10 cups yesterday, but it greatly helped to control my urges. Even bypassed the ice cream sundaes my daughter and her friends were having for their sleepover. Going to try it again today.

Keep warm!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    We, like most animals, have a natural tendency to eat more in the colder month's. This is because our body wants to store more fat to keep us warmer. Same reason when it is really hot out, you are not in the mood for a hearty meal. Your body is trying to shed fat to stay cooler. :wink:
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This past week has been HORRIBLE for me as far as eating. Good food, bad food...too much food. The weather changed way too fast. 80 one day, 45 the next. Yesterday, I did great. My secret? HOT GREEN TEA with a little bit of honey. I must have drank like 10 cups yesterday, but it greatly helped to control my urges. Even bypassed the ice cream sundaes my daughter and her friends were having for their sleepover. Going to try it again today.

Keep warm!

I've been doing the same, really helping in the evening now that its dark and cold!!! :grumble:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    So it would stand to reason that if you do your best to avoid overdoing it during these cold months, your body will burn (hopefully) a few extra calories in it's efforts to stay warm? I know that shivering burns calories!
    Hey, I can dream, right?

P.S. I'm eyeballing the crispy cremes behind me on the counter here at work. GAWD I want one so bad - 'ts been a year since I had a donut! garrrr!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    We, like most animals, have a natural tendency to eat more in the colder month's. This is because our body wants to store more fat to keep us warmer. Same reason when it is really hot out, you are not in the mood for a hearty meal. Your body is trying to shed fat to stay cooler. :wink:

Correct, think about way back in the day, when humans were hunter/gatherers. A few extra lbs over the winter was difference between surviving, and your tribe splitting up your stuff.

Evolution wise that was only a 'few' thousand years ago, and virtually being assured a warm place to live, and not having to go and hunt and gather in that weather is a relativly new thing to humans. So we have not adjusted yet.

i've been running outsite in this crap all week, and I'm in really good mood.

Go commune with nature. It will make you feel better.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    So it would stand to reason that if you do your best to avoid overdoing it during these cold months, your body will burn (hopefully) a few extra calories in it's efforts to stay warm? I know that shivering burns calories!
    Hey, I can dream, right?

P.S. I'm eyeballing the crispy cremes behind me on the counter here at work. GAWD I want one so bad - 'ts been a year since I had a donut! garrrr!

I've heard that when you drink you water you should try to make sure it's ice cold.. it doesn't make a HUGE difference but your body does have to expend that much more energy to warm your body back up from the cold water.. or so I've heard lol.