When was the last time you were sick?

Options
alexbusnello
alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
I haven't been sick in years. I can be around someone who has a deadly flu virus or bad cold, and I won't catch it. My boyfriend gets sick a lot and easily. When he's sick, he's sick for weeks with a bad flu bug or horrible cold. I've been around him, kissing him, hugging him and sleeping in the same bed as him or share a drink and I haven't gotten sick. Mind you the cup thing was by accident but I still didn't get sick. I use to get sick with the flu when I was little on my birthday which is Christmas day! It sucked so bad.

How many times have you gotten sick before your healthy lifestyle change compared to now? And what do you do when you catch something? Example: how do you treat it, what foods do you eat, ect.

Weird post, but I'm only curious.

Replies

• 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Currently sick...blahhh
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Currently sick...blahhh

Aww sorry to hear... :(

I know chicken noodle soups are good for colds and virus's.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I got sick at the begining of April ( not long after joining MFP). Haven't been sick since :smile: I used to be sick all the time
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I haven't been sick in quite a while. I get a flu shot every fall so that is taken care of. I think that I have strong immunization genes ;-)
  • taralc1
    taralc1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So far this year (since I've started in Jan) I havent been sick. Before when I would go to my bestfriends house if one of her kids were sick, or anyone there, I would end up with the cold as well. (knocking on wood now)
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Before i started with my weight loss journey, I lived in my doctor's office. If it wasn't my asthma, it was my painful knees, to being hospitalized with tightness of my left side of the body. I was like a walking hospital. Now, I can't even remember when was the last time I saw my doctor. I used to see him every 2 weeks from October through January due to my uncontrolled asthma. I didn't see him not even once for that this winter. In fact, now that I can recall, I saw him 3 weeks ago for an ingrown toenail, and he was pleasantly surprised at my weight loss. He told me that he wanted to use me as the poster child for losing weight the right way, for his patients. My health has made a complete turn around since dieting and exercising.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I actually haven't been sick in a while, and i'm one of those who catches everything... or was
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Last time I had a cold was February 2010!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I only got over a cold in the last couple days...*taps wood*
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Before last year, I got sick a couple of times a year. I had the flu a few years ago and was so incredibly sick for two weeks that I probably should have been in the hospital. It was seriously that bad. The flu went through my workplace and most people were out for a few days. I was concerned at how sick I got and how slowly I healed.

Since completely changing my diet last year, I haven't gotten sick. Not even once. Even though I work closely with two people who have young kids in daycare, so they are constantly fighting off some respiratory infection.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm only just beginning, but I've already noticed a huge difference. I used to be sick all the time (literally, maybe 5 days out of the month I wasn't sick) Now I can't even remember the last time I was sick. Okay that's not true, I was sick yesterday, but that was my own stupid fault for eating something I'm allergic to, but no illness since before I started eating better.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Last time I got a very mild cold 2 months ago but I didn't miss work or was in bed because of it. It lasted 2 days. I haven't missed a day of work due to being sick in over 10 years.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I've generally noticed the same thing. I can only think of a few times in the past decade that I've been really sick, and one of those was pneumonia during BMT and that totally doesn't count.

I haven't been throwing-up sick in so long that I can't remember the last time.

One of the really cool things I've noticed -- and my dad experienced this too -- is that since my sugar intake went down so drastically I haven't had any problems with nasal congestion, which used to be a chronic issue. Sugar makes me feel pretty ****ty in general, but that almost makes me think I might be allergic to it.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I use to get sick with the flu when I was little on my birthday which is Christmas day! It sucked so bad.
    My cousin would very rarely get sick, but every year like clockwork she would wake up sick Christmas morning. It wasn't her birthday too though.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I have 4 living, breathing and walking germ factories. Before I had kids, I hardly ever got sick. Now, I seem to get sick a lot courtesy of my kiddos! I had strep about 2 1/2 months ago. I've been good since then, but the kids have all been home from school. So I give it about 3 more moths till they bring home the next creepy crud.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I had a 3 day long migraine 3 weeks ago.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I don't want to jinx myself by answering how long it has been since I was sick but I do know that the best thing to prevent being sick besides eating healthier (which I am sure that we all pretty much are on here) but also taking Vit C supplements and drinking plenty of water, also, plenty of rest is good...These are also ways of getting rid of it too....Oh, and don't drink milk when you are congested especially in your chest b/c it sticks in your throat b/c of the mucus and makes it thicker and harder for it to be expelled....Hence the more water theory...That's all I got!! :)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Three weeks ago I had a nasty cold. It was the 1st one I had had in a while, and I have noticed that I am less prone to colds and other minor ailments since I started out on MFP. Any way, I didn't let the cold stop me, carried on working out including one very sweaty work out with my PT who thought I was mad. It worked, the cold didn't hang around for long.

I think my attitude to being sick has changed, now if I feel a bit ropey I ask myself if I am still capable of working out, and I normally answer yes. My boss loves it too, I think I have only had one day off of work sick in the last year.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Rule in my home: wash your hands upon entering the house and BEFORE touching stuff like refrigerator handles, etc. Depending on your line of work or setting, consider changing clothes before sitting on your home furniture, germs and viruses can be brought home and spread that way as well.

Last thing to help me be better able to fight stomach viruses, I mix one tablespoon of vinegar (apple cider) in one or two ounces of water and drink it down. If it works for keeping food in canning jars good to eat for months on end, it is good for keeping me healthy!
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    I haven't been sick in quite a while. I get a flu shot every fall so that is taken care of. I think that I have strong immunization genes ;-)

I haven't gotten the shot in years. My immune system must be super strength lol