C25K-- how did you deal with pain?

Options
iana_cass
iana_cass Posts: 40 Member
I tried doing C25K almost 3 years ago and got up to week 5, I believe, before I just gave in to the pain and quit (didn't help that my dad laughed at me when I told him I was starting it). Now I can't even walk 40 min without my legs feeling like lead, but I have a goal to be able to run again by next summer, so very very slow progress. And of course now I'm about 20lb heavier than I was last time I tried!

So, how did you work through the pain? I used to run in Jr High/High school and I miss it!

Replies

• wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    what type of pain are you feeling?
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    i've wanted to try it, but i have BAD knees and ankles. i played soccer as a teenager and halfway through the season, my parents/doctor pulled me out because i was black and blue from the tops of my feet to my knees...so i'm scared to really get into running :(

is it just strained muscle pain you're feeling? i'd be worried about actual damage.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about 'oh noes my legs ache' pain or 'more execrise will snap something' pain?
  • iana_cass
    Options
    mostly in my lower legs, shin splints or outer shin area (sorry I don't know the proper names!).
  • iana_cass
    Options
    Are we talking about 'oh noes my legs ache' pain or 'more execrise will snap something' pain?

lol it's aches, and I know a major part of it for me is consistency. I'm more determined than ever!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to start C25K next month.... Idk about the pain, but when I asked almost EVERYONE said how important it is to have good shoes, and to go get fitted for proper running shoes... Maybe that will help?
  • crafterpaula
    crafterpaula Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    pay attention to your body because if you dont, you may be doing more damage than you know! take it slow every body can't do every exersize that others can! just be care full I know because i cant do alot of exersize that others can but it dont stop me i do what i can ,and i am doing just as good as others <I'll never have a six pack but i am heathy , thats ok!:flowerforyou:
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options

lol it's aches, and I know a major part of it for me is consistency. I'm more determined than ever!

Oh right that's fine then, extend the rest period if it gets too bad but otherwise push through. Easier said than done of course but if it was easy then everyone would be doing it :wink:
  • iana_cass
    Options
    I'm supposed to start C25K next month.... Idk about the pain, but when I asked almost EVERYONE said how important it is to have good shoes, and to go get fitted for proper running shoes... Maybe that will help?

I would think so, though not sure where to go for that? Any sports store have a better reputation than others for doing well in this?
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Try walking maybe slower for 30 to 35 min. Get in nice warm up stretches. When I started I had the same thing, had to stop for a week to recover but started back slower to get muscle prepared for jogging/running. For me going from couch to jogging was not a good move. Gotta walk before you can run.

I walked a full month before starting C25k again.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 5 Tuesday. I do a lot of stretching before and after and sometimes I take ibuprofen for I head out to the track. Maybe it's a mind thing for me but it seems to help. When I'm actually jogging and feel like I'm going to kill over I jog slower. Even if that means I'm only jogging as little faster than I actually walk. To me it's better than giving up completely or just walking. Other people might think I should just quit or walk but I don't really care what others think when I'm working out (or many other times for that matter :laugh: )

I also have actual running shoes so maybe you need better shoes? I'm going to go to a specialty store and get fitted properly once I can afford it but at this point I was lucky that I bought running shoes a long time ago and never wore them. I'm still not sure why.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I would think so, though not sure where to go for that? Any sports store have a better reputation than others for doing well in this?

I don't know where you are but we have a place called Fleet Feet here and they have you walk and I guess jog on some little computer type thing. I know some people who have gone there and they have recommended it to me. But it's also expensive which is why I will be waiting for a while.

Some sports stores might be better than others but it seems when I go most the people working there don't really know much about the shoes or they just point to the wall that says running shoes. Or they show me the most expensive shoes.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! How did I deal with the pain? After week 1 day 2 I went to the doctor and found out I had stress fractures in both of my tibia. I don't believe it was just from running. Probably a combination of 25 years of smoking, doing too much too soon as I had already been power walking for a month which included ridiculous amounts of stairs, and cheap shoes.

The doc said I can start running again in 2 weeks. Now I am about 40 lbs lighter and have been biking like crazy so I have more wind. I will not give up; my aching old body be damned.

My advice: good shoes, lots of stretching before and after and on off days, more stretching, good hydration, work your way up gradually, run on grass if possible, stretch some more, set goals, and don't give up.
  • RoastyToasty
    RoastyToasty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Definitely make sure you get fitted with good shoes. If the sales person you are working with can't tell you whether you pronate or supinate then do not buy shoes from them! Different shoes are better for different people. I do have to say I miss the days of picking out shoes by color and cuteness and not worrying about function :wink:
  • iana_cass
    Options

Some sports stores might be better than others but it seems when I go most the people working there don't really know much about the shoes or they just point to the wall that says running shoes. Or they show me the most expensive shoes.

THIS is what I'm afraid of. No Fleet Feet around here. MCSports, Champ's and Dunham's... I think that's it. There may be a FootLocker in the next city over. Our town is dying, sadly.
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    When I started running I was 25, 60 lbs over the top end of my recommended weight range, and a smoker. It's hard, but it should NEVER really "hurt." Yes, uncomfortable and sometimes borderline unbearable... but nothing should physically hurt. You might just need to ramp your body up to prepare for this new adventure!

There are three things that helped me:

1.) Foam roller ($10-20 at any sporting goods place) - Great for self-massage and quick recovery.
    2.) An elliptical trainer - Simulates running without the impact. Starting out I did 30 minute sessions 3x/week and did a walk/run 2x/week. It will help shed those extra pounds faster than running alone because chances are you'll keep a faster pace on the elliptical than you can maintain on the pavement.
    3.) Squats, lunges, and side lunges to strengthen those legs. You don't need any weights starting out, just using your own body weight is fantastic! I just find after 30 days or so it's helpful to up the ante and add some weight just to challenge the body a bit more. If you are riddled with shin splints, take a seat and spell out the alphabet with your toes bending at the ankle. 3 times through your ABC's on each foot will help strengthen the delicate musculature that support your lower leg.

Start small, get big results. Running does not happen over night. It's not shameful to take a month or two to get to "week one" of C25K especially if you need to really work at it. The fact is that you CAN do this.
  • iana_cass
    Options
    LOL!!! How did I deal with the pain? After week 1 day 2 I went to the doctor and found out I had stress fractures in both of my tibia. I don't believe it was just from running. Probably a combination of 25 years of smoking, doing too much too soon as I had already been power walking for a month which included ridiculous amounts of stairs, and cheap shoes.

The doc said I can start running again in 2 weeks. Now I am about 40 lbs lighter and have been biking like crazy so I have more wind. I will not give up; my aching old body be damned.

My advice: good shoes, lots of stretching before and after and on off days, more stretching, good hydration, work your way up gradually, run on grass if possible, stretch some more, set goals, and don't give up.

Thanks!
  • iana_cass
    Options
    When I started running I was 25, 60 lbs over the top end of my recommended weight range, and a smoker. It's hard, but it should NEVER really "hurt." Yes, uncomfortable and sometimes borderline unbearable... but nothing should physically hurt. You might just need to ramp your body up to prepare for this new adventure!

There are three things that helped me:

1.) Foam roller ($10-20 at any sporting goods place) - Great for self-massage and quick recovery.
    2.) An elliptical trainer - Simulates running without the impact. Starting out I did 30 minute sessions 3x/week and did a walk/run 2x/week. It will help shed those extra pounds faster than running alone because chances are you'll keep a faster pace on the elliptical than you can maintain on the pavement.
    3.) Squats, lunges, and side lunges to strengthen those legs. You don't need any weights starting out, just using your own body weight is fantastic! I just find after 30 days or so it's helpful to up the ante and add some weight just to challenge the body a bit more. If you are riddled with shin splints, take a seat and spell out the alphabet with your toes bending at the ankle. 3 times through your ABC's on each foot will help strengthen the delicate musculature that support your lower leg.

Start small, get big results. Running does not happen over night. It's not shameful to take a month or two to get to "week one" of C25K especially if you need to really work at it. The fact is that you CAN do this.

Lots of great tips, thank you! I don't expect anything overnight, I know I didn't gain the weight that way.
  • canyonsurfer
    Options
    Please take the time and expense (what price is your health?) to get fitted correctly. Our Fleet Feet lets you bring your shoes back within a month if they don't feel right and they do know their stuff.
  • iana_cass
    Options
    Please take the time and expense (what price is your health?) to get fitted correctly. Our Fleet Feet lets you bring your shoes back within a month if they don't feel right and they do know their stuff.

That's awesome, wonder if one is close enough that I could drive? I'll have to look!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!