popcorn!

Options
2»

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Movie theater popcorn is terrible. From the oil they use, butter topping, salt. That you should stay away from.

But 100 calorie popcorn bags, air popped popcorn, popcorn popped at home using small amount of "good" oil .. those are all fantastic. You get a lot of popcorn for a small amount of calories, plus the fiber is good and helps you feel full longer.

Popcorn has been my go-to afternoon snack. It keeps me full and gives me enough energy to exercise after work and then make dinner. I think if its done right, its fantastic.

What about microwave popcorn? It's a snack I take with me when I'm pet-sitting (simple to fix).
  • CurlyErin
    Options
    If I were you, I would put about 1/4 c of kernels in a plain brown paper lunch bag, and pop that instead of the chemical-laden stuff you can buy in bags. It's much cheaper for one, and so much healthier, plus you can actually make it taste really good. I like a little garlic salt and dill on mine, sometimes I'll splurge and use one of those shaker bottles of popcorn seasoning you can get at the store. But it's always way better tasting than the junk you get at the grocery store in the little special metallic-lined bag. Need a recipe? 1/4 c unpopped kernels in a brown paper lunch bag, fold it over and nuke it for 2-2.5 minutes (1100 watt). There - easy. :)

I have popcorn every night - I do account for a little bit of butter, which I know is bad, but since I'm essentially air popping, I allow myself that small indulgence. But I've lost 28 lbs so far and I've been having my satisfying snack every night for over a month now, and when I started having popcorn every night, that was when I broke my plateau and started losing more. I love it because not only is it full of fiber so you stay full longer, but it's versatile, and it satisfies the snacky/salty/chip craving so many of us get when trying to change our eating habits, which as many people know, can easily be the downfall of someone trying to lose weight.

Slighty OT - for dessert I usually have 2 dark chocolate Dove promises - only 82 cals and the antioxidants make it worth it, plus I get a little taste of sweetness without feeling like I need a bowl of ice cream or worse. Also very good, Ghiradhelli 60% cacao chips - just like half a dozen of them is less than half a serving, and the antioxidants are great. A little good-for-you sweet is enough to satisfy without overindulging.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love my air popper!
  • veronicaS376
    veronicaS376 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    it is a good substitute for like chips, cookies, and other snacks you might have. It has little sodium, sugar, so it is a healty snack. Just have like 2 cups at most.. it is a very healthy snack :)