Food scales...

Options
I'm about to order one because I'm afraid that I'm kidding myself about what I *think* is 4 ounces or 6 ounces.

What do you think about them? And can anyone recommend one they like?

Replies

• cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The scale I use is actually meant for medical purposes, because my husband sells medical supplies and had one in the house, so I don't have a brand recommendation. But I think weighing is really important to keep from overestimating portion size.
  • deputydeb511
    deputydeb511 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale from weight watchers and it really helps .You are right most the time i think a piece of meat is 6 oz and when i weigh it i am susprised its 12 oz.
  • KateM_76
    KateM_76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think they are a great idea. I don't have alot of experience with them myself, but a friend of mine started using one. She wasn't one who ate alot of junk food, but her dinner portions were huge. It really helped her get her meals under control. She ended up losing about 25 lbs with portion control and moderate exercise.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at one made by the people from "The Biggest Loser." It's not because I'm enamored with the show but because of it's cost and the number of high ratings it's gotten. I was just wondering what folks here thought.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Here's the one I bought from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=sr_1_15?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1343581698&sr=1-15

I love it, mostly for the offset/zero out function so I don't have to worry about subtracting the weight of the plate I have the food on.
    And the pull out display is nice too.
  • Piperella
    Piperella Posts: 5
    Options
    The one I have is by 'Salter' and I think, from the bumph on the box, its a 1036 model. It's small, weighs portions up to 5 kg, and like the above post, it has a zeroing function so you can add portions and know what each one's individual weight is. it also has a function for measuring liquids, but I'm assuming it goes on the density of water, so no good for oils which are much lighter. I bought it in Argos (England) and I'm sure it was only about £15
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have a simple digital scale by 'starfrit'. It was inexpensive, and it was worth every penny. It has made measuring my food so much easier. Sooooo much easier! I highly recommend getting a digital food scale of some sort.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I just have a cheap Taylor digital food scale that I bought at Walmart. I've had it about 4 years and it works.

I really recommend getting a food scale. Everything is every to underestimate even if you're using measuring cups and spoons you may be eating more than you think.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I just a digital one from Walmart. I think it's the Mainstays brand. It works great for my purposes and is really easy to use.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I got a Sharper Image digital one from Bed Bath & Beyond ($25).

I am so glad I bought a food scale. I find it extremely helpful.
    Even in such things as properly measuring out peanut butter. What I thought was 2 tbsp was actually over 3 tbsp.

When I'm adding ingredients (for such as a salad), I just toss in the new food til its at the right measurement. Zero it out, add in the next ingredient. Love it.
  • donnasjohnson
    donnasjohnson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just bought mine a week or two ago from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It's the XOX brand with the pull out reader and the zero function. I had a gift card and a discount coupon so I wasn't as worried about cost as much; it was $40 and I LOVE IT!! In past weight loss attempts, I have used cheap Walmart and WW ones, they worked fine, but now with my sleek, silver model I feel like Alton Brown, zeroing out my readings and being a precise chemist! I smile every time I use it, which was not the case in years past. I still over estimate portions sizes, but now I'm happy as I do my adjusting.
  • jeffwagstaff
    Options
    Heres the scale I use.. Its eye opening how poorly I was guessing at weights before I bought this thing.. It looks great on my kitchen counter too..

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Digital-Nutrition-Scale-Professional/dp/B0013IDHTO/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1343584937&sr=1-6&keywords=eatsmart+scale
  • Dress4Dolly
    Options
    Make the investment, you will not be sorry:) My food scale, and my blood sugar monitor are two "gadgets" that I cannot live without. I've really found MFP's food journal to be extremely helpful too. I call it a eat-by-the-numbers plan.

Oh, and something that really helped my husband....When you use your food scale you'll see much smaller portions on your plate...so....we bought square salad plates to use as dinner plates.

Hope that helps!
    Patti
  • lashawn0187
    lashawn0187 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had bought one from Bodybuilding.com its was about $5-6 and it helps so much because it shows you how it looks to eat 4oz and after awhile you will just know just be sight. I use them and measuring cups to keep my portions in check!
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I got mine at walmart, though I was at my grandparents and they have a digital scale from Target that I was very jealous of. I like it especially in the morning for cereal. Instead of measuring with measuring cups I can just put the bowl on the scale and pour until it's enough. I hear it's more accurate too. It's also great when you find recipes online from UK or some other countries that measure in grams.
  • vegasmari
    vegasmari Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mines in my online shopping cart as of today :) I'm always guessing ounces and know I'm wrong. I don't want to cheat myself and pretend like I'm doing this right, so I'll be buying. Just worried I'll become obsessed like I am on this site
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wow, wow, wow!!! Some amazing advice! Thank you to everyone!