How accurate are listings?

Options
Just noticed yesterday that the foods listed in the database are able to be "edited". Since anyone can edit them, how do we know how accurate the information is?

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    The accuracy of the listing varies quite a bit. There are many out of date and just plain wrong entries. Even scanning bar codes can be hit or miss. When in doubt, I try to do a little research; updating from the vendor web site, noting label changes, etc.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I scan alot of foods when at work - so i compare the item that poped up when scanned to the item i scanned if it is wrong then I change it. Just be aware that somtimes foods are put in wrong or not completly ex: only putting in calories no other info
  • BitteOrca
    BitteOrca Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i usually compare against calorieking.com if i'm feeling unsure about a food. or i'll look at a bunch of options (like a plum, for example) and choose something in the middle in terms of calories.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Short answer - not very.

Do not rely on the database to be accurate, but 90% of the time it's pretty close. My personal bug bear is foods that only list h=the calorie content, and not the other nutrients that I am tracking.