Thank goodness Quinoa tastes good

Options
After trying so many different foods that are "super" i found I didn't really like any i could incorperate within my simple meal plans but I made some quinoa today with chicken stock and put it in my salad cold and it adds so much making the salad very filling. So pleased.

Will definately be using it again and again.

Anyone use it for anything else. I thought the idea of a spicy cous cous sounds good but i don't like cous cous. Got a recipe for spicy quinoa? like chili or indian style yuuuum!!

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa. I used to live by a supermarket that made it in their deli section. They'd add diced red and green peppers along with crumbled feta cheese. :love:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Ooo the peppers and feta sounds wonderful!

I just use it wherever I'd use rice. I throw it in with stir fry, soup, whatever.

I just ordered some Chia seed - have you tried that? I'll let you know if that's any good.
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    I highly recommend getting a programable rice cooker (about $40 at Target, etc.). You can put your quinoa in in the morning, set the timer for what time you'd like it to be done, and return home to already cooked quinoa (or rice, or oatmeal overnight)! It comes with a veggie steamer basket that can be put in directly over top of the quinoa/rice too. Try throwing in some curry powder, crushed garlic, and a dash of cayenne if you like it spicy.....
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Ooo the peppers and feta sounds wonderful!

I just use it wherever I'd use rice. I throw it in with stir fry, soup, whatever.

I just ordered some Chia seed - have you tried that? I'll let you know if that's any good.

love to hear about new things. I thought quinoa would be another eww food but i really liked it. Just need to replace all the simple carbs with better ones. I used to love white rice but now i try to keep it down
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You can use it the same way that you use cous-cous. If you found a cous-cous recipie that you think sounds good, try it with the quinoa. Have you had the red quinoa? Made by Aztec foods. It adds a little color which is always nice. I toss it with shrimp, scallions, a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt and pepper.
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    Also wanted to mention that one of my FAVORITE lunches is leftover quinoa topped with frozen soybeans - microwaved till warm, then topped off with salt, pepper, and soy sauce.