Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• lmeslie
    lmeslie Posts: 46 Member
    Options

They liked it because Yoplait isn't really Greek yogurt. It's Yoplait yogurt that has been strained then thickened with milk protein concentrate and multiple other thickeners to resemble the texture of actual Greek yogurt.

ETA: Fage is the only authentic Greek yogurt on the American market, and it tastes the best to boot.

This is true. Fage is the best!
  • Belligerent_Wombat
    Belligerent_Wombat Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adore Greek Gods yogurt. You can't eat as much of it, but they are so freaking delicious. The honey and strawberry is my favorite go-to dessert, way better than ice cream. The plain nonfat is good, too.
  • michellematteson
    Options
    Stoneyfield Oikos is my personal favorite. I haven't tried any other brand because it was the first one I tried and I loved it, so why try any other. I grabbed it because I am trying to watch what I eat, and all the ingredients are natural (milk, sugar, fruit, honey). It has the added cultures too.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have found out the hard way that I am, apparently, very particular about my greek yogurt! :) I only eat plain, as I add in my own goodies at home. And, I ONLY like Greek Gods Traditional. I tried Oikos because it was cheaper, didn't like it. I tried Greek Gods Poseidon, because it was fat-free, YUCK! So, it's Greek Gods Traditional for me and I just keep my eyes open for coupons!! :) Also, a good benefit of this brand/style is that, at least amongst the brands carried at my store, it has the least amount of sugar!!
  • suzyb225
    suzyb225 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ive got to try this cocoa powder/ greek yogurt thing..sounds like a great idea. Ive been wondering if greek yogurt will freeze? Also, is there no calories in the cocoa powder?
  • jmp1031
    jmp1031 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani, Trader Joe's and Dannon Oikos brands- all flavors. Fage is good too just more expensive. I tried Yoplait's Strawberry Greek and it was the most fake tasting strawberry ever- gross! All the Chobani ones I have in the fridge now have 5 probiotic cultures. No matter which brand you buy it will have some probiotics just because it's yogurt.
  • whitty147
    whitty147 Posts: 12
    Options
    Fage - Cherry/Pomegranate is yummy!
  • Deej53
    Deej53 Posts: 12
    Options
    Love Fage plain, buy it in the large size so I can use it for "other stuff." But to be honest, I've begun making my own yogurt at home according to a recipe I found on eHow.com. I make it with skim or powdered milk. The more whey (the liquid) you drain off, the thicker the yogurt is, so some of it I drain very well and voila! My own version of cream cheese. By making it with skim milk, it's fat free. But if I MUST buy commercially made yogurt, it's Fage plain all the way.
  • FitBarbie2986
    FitBarbie2986 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've tried sOOo many and my favorite is FAGE-w/ Honey....O.M.G!! You gotta try it! Hands down THE best! :D
  • neffesther
    neffesther Posts: 55
    Options
    Ok, jes a personal opinion here. I have tried the Chibani and the Oikos. I prefer the oikos. the Chibani isnt thick, and tastes the same as regular yogurt. The Oikos is thick, and creamy, and delicious. I like the fruit better than the honey, but again, it is jes my taste preference.

I agree with this poster. The first greek yogurt I tried was Chobani and I didn't like it. I tried once more with Oikos and I loved it. It's on my regular shopping list. My favorite is the raspberry, but it's always gone at my local supermarket. :-(
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Greek Gods is not Greek yogurt. It is "Greek style" yogurt, which means regular yogurt + thickeners (in this case, pectin). It's fine for what it is, but you can get much cheaper regular yogurt.
  • Jenloma
    Jenloma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt is great with calories (80 for strawberry and 90 for blueberry). I love this yogurt!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt is great with calories (80 for strawberry and 90 for blueberry). I love this yogurt!

-sigh- Dannon Light & Fit is not Greek yogurt, and really, it is barely yogurt at all. It has three artificial sweeteners, which I've never seen in any other product, ever.
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Fage is the best. Hands down. Authentic and perfect texture. My friend is a professor of Greek Art and spends a lot of time in Greece and she swears it's the best that you get outside of Greece.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Oikos honey flavor is my all time favorite.
    I sometimes get Fage Lemon flavor, but most of the Fage yogis are too sour for me.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I just heard an article on NPR about how there are only a few brands that sell real Greek yogurt. Fage and Chobani are the only ones I know of. If the protein is really low and it has some sort of starch or thickener it is not real Greek yogurt.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Fage plain 0% is the best. I add blueberries and cinnamon to mine! Sam's Club sells a 4 cup container of it for under $5! That's an amazing price for such an amazing product IMO!
  • KembaKing
    KembaKing Posts: 3
    Options
    I've only tried Liberte and Presidents choice and I love the Liberte one. Lemon, cherry, strawberry, vanilla. they are all good.

I believe that Liberte has the least calories per serving that I have seen in Toronto (non-fat, plain). Plain is better to add fruit and maybe a bit of high protein granola or hemp hearts, chia seeds.:wink:
  • bedeeda
    bedeeda Posts: 21
    Options
    Any of them nonfat, plain are disgusting. Whichever brand I get, I always make sure its flavored or vanilla. When I first started eating greek yogurt, I thought it tasted like spoiled milk, but I'm slowly getting used to it. I don't know if you have a Krogers near you, but the brand I've discovered that I like the most is the generic Krogers brand of Vanilla.

My favorite thing to do with it is to mix Hershey's dark chocolate cocoa powder, Stevia, and vanilla flavoring. It reminds me of chocolate soft serve ice cream if you put it in the freezer 20 mins before you eat it :D

That's an awesome idea! Thanks for the tip! I usually use plain and add sugar free caramel sauce to it but don't like that it has splenda in it so thanks for the healthier version :-)
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have had Chobani and Oikois (sp?) and both seemed decent to me. I guess it's really up to personal preferences. You might want to try both and see which one you like better.