Running apps for Droid

Options
Hiya,

I'm looking for a free running app for my Droid. I'd like one that gives audible alerts for distance run. For example, if I wanna run a 5K (3.1 miles), I'd like it to give me an audible alert at 1.55 miles so I know it's time to turn around and go back to where I started.

I believe the Couch-to-5K app does that, but it's a paid app, and I'd prefer a free one. I'll pay for an app if it's just that good, but would prefer to try the free route first.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/21/nike-running-comes-to-android/

I'm a big fan of Nike+running for iphone. I tried 3 different ones and the GPS wasn't reliable. This one has been. The web interface is great too. It may not be free but it's more reliable than the others.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Deleted.
  • Chrissymmartin
    Chrissymmartin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I downloaded couch to 5k on my droid and it was free. They have one sponsored by breast cancer research foundation. it's called c25k free... I also use map my run when I run outside to see the route... It's also free for the droid. There is settings to give you voice feedback, but I've never used it so I'm not sure how well it works. I just look at the screen every once in a while, and it tells you your speed, pace, average pace for the whole run, and mileage, plus maps out the route you followed using GPS on your phone. I love it!!

Happy running!!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have3 heard of map my run. I havent used it yet because I cant run again until I recover from surgery, but check it out. It was free!
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun will give you alerts for every mile, if you choose, but only whole miles. I'm looking for something that will let me choose something like 1.55 miles (half of a 5K run) for the alert so I know when to turn and head back. MapMyRun won't do that.
  • pjcapps
    pjcapps Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Map my run is great it give distance and time cues. Also lets you know your pace. There are options that can change what cue and how often you hear them. Good luck with finding the right one for you.
  • pjcapps
    pjcapps Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sorry run keeper not map my run
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    MapMyRun will give you alerts for every mile, if you choose, but only whole miles. I'm looking for something that will let me choose something like 1.55 miles (half of a 5K run) for the alert so I know when to turn and head back. MapMyRun won't do that.

Nike+running let's you choose between .25,.5, 1 or 2 miles, or 1 min, 5 min, 10 min, 15 min. And does let you choose between announcing time, pace, and distance, or any combo.

ps: It's now FREE on iphone, so perhaps it is for Android too.
  • danimal5867
    danimal5867 Posts: 390
    Options
    I have used mapmyrun, runkeeper, and now endomondo. Mapmyrun will give voice prompts based upon time or distance but it won't do fractional mileage. I'd been using it to do run/walk intervals based on time. I've moved on to endomondo because it is the highest rated app of it's kind for the droid. Just one run with it and I'm already a believer enough to pay for the premium version.
  • Goldenwoof
    Options

I'm a big fan of Nike+running for iphone. I tried 3 different ones and the GPS wasn't reliable. This one has been. The web interface is great too. It may not be free but it's more reliable than the others.

Installed this. It doesn't do what I asked. You can selected a pre-set distance, but you can't enter whatever you want.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Installed this. It doesn't do what I asked. You can selected a pre-set distance, but you can't enter whatever you want.
    That's too bad. You sure can on the iphone (see my other post).
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have the one by RunDouble. It's free and I keeps running in the background so if you get a call during usage, it doesn't shut off like some of the others.

It also works with your own music playlist.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Why not just use MapMyRun or WalkJogRun.net to plan your route and figure out where the turnaround is going to be in advance? Or, if you use an app like Endomondo (I have WP7, not a droid so I can't say this is 100% true) and you set a target/goal of 5K, it will announce the halfway point. OR, for any of the ones that announce per mile/km, after it announces 2km, it will be approximately 1 song to 2.5km at my pace. Just a few ideas.
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    I LOVE runkeeper
  • Goldenwoof
    Options
    Why not just use MapMyRun or WalkJogRun.net to plan your route and figure out where the turnaround is going to be in advance?

Because I don't always known where that turnaround point will be. If I run somewhere I've run before, I'll know that, but for my first time out in a new spot, I'd like the app to tell me when I get to that halfway point.
    Or, if you use an app like Endomondo (I have WP7, not a droid so I can't say this is 100% true) and you set a target/goal of 5K, it will announce the halfway point.

That'd be ideal. I'll give Endomondo a shot.

Thanks very much! :)
  • helen0616
    helen0616 Posts: 97
    Options
    I used RunDouble for the first time today and really liked it. You can set it to distance or time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Both runkeeper and google tracks will let you customize the distance and time alert interval settings. Strava will let you race against other people on certain sections of your run.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I have used mapmyrun, runkeeper, and now endomondo. Mapmyrun will give voice prompts based upon time or distance but it won't do fractional mileage. I'd been using it to do run/walk intervals based on time. I've moved on to endomondo because it is the highest rated app of it's kind for the droid. Just one run with it and I'm already a believer enough to pay for the premium version.

I'd have a go with all three. Each has advantages and disadvantages - depends what you're after.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just looked at Endomondo Settings and I don't think it lets you choose.. but I know runkeeper did.

My issue with runkeeper is it was hard to get a GPS lock.. but with Endomondo it's a lot easier.

Edited to add: you need to go to the basic workout settings and it will say choose a distance goal.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I just looked at Endomondo Settings and I don't think it lets you choose.. but I know runkeeper did.

My issue with runkeeper is it was hard to get a GPS lock.. but with Endomondo it's a lot easier.

Edited to add: you need to go to the basic workout settings and it will say choose a distance goal.

In Endomondo (the WP7 version) In the bottom left-hand corner, I click where you choose the sport- Running-Basicis the default for mine, and tab over to the "goal" tab, click "Set a target" and choose your mileage target. I suppose to get it to a 5K you would have to change the default unit to km. I realize that the setup might be different for the different platforms but I would think the functionality would be the same- there must be some way to do it! :)