Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HRM & Bootcamp

Hi all, I start bootcamp tomorrow morning. I'd like to wear my HRM to get calories for logging but I was wondering, do you have your HRM counting for the whole session (45mins) or do you start and stop it (pause feature) for each exercise? Some of it I guess will be strength training so would you still use the HRM for all of it or only the cardio stuff? Thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,293 Member
    Here, read this very helpful blog from a member here with decades in the fitness industry.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

If it were me, I'd leave it running. Your heartrate will be elevated throughout the workout, that's the idea of Bootcamp. Use the numbers, they're the best estimation you have. At the very least you will be able to see how fit you are becoming, because the more fit you become, the less calories will you burn for the same exercise. It's interesting to see, and you need some way to keep track. An HRM is the best you will do.

I would use it for a month and see how you do. If you aren't getting the results you want, reevaluate.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Here, read this very helpful blog from a member here with decades in the fitness industry.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

If it were me, I'd leave it running. Your heartrate will be elevated throughout the workout, that's the idea of Bootcamp. Use the numbers, they're the best estimation you have. At the very least you will be able to see how fit you are becoming, because the more fit you become, the less calories will you burn for the same exercise. It's interesting to see, and you need some way to keep track. An HRM is the best you will do.

I would use it for a month and see how you do. If you aren't getting the results you want, reevaluate.

Thanks for this reply! Very useful! I will leave it running and see how I go! I will post back with my findings :smile:
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    I leave mine running from start to finish of the class.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    First bootcamp done! 440 cals burned before 7am, nice! Will be interested to see if I can push those numbers and work harder.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    First bootcamp done! 440 cals burned before 7am, nice! Will be interested to see if I can push those numbers and work harder.

Well done.