a question for the ladies (so embarrassing)

Options
my friend TOM is waaay late... like over a week. i have never ever been late before, and pregnancy is definitely not the cause in this case. is it normal to become irregular when you are very active? at what point do you contact your ob?
:blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :embarassed:

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    not on birth control i take it?

but yea exercise can make it late.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    also, not sure why you're embarrassed! i love my lady parts =D

unless you miss a period for 3 straight months, i wouldn't worry!
  • brendddda
    brendddda Posts: 33
    Options
    You're definitely eating enough so it's not that, and yes exercise can cause it. Mine is actually very irregular, sometimes its every other month or so..
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yes! Lots of things can mess with your TOM. Stress, Diet, Exercise. If you know 100% you can not be pregnant, then don't worry, it will come.
  • Selma10001984
    Selma10001984 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    New (girl) friends. Womens menstruationcycle tend to synchronize. I thought it was a myth until I exchanged some old friends for new ones.
  • caseyjade88
    caseyjade88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Exercise can make it late. I wouldn't worry if you're just a week late, if there's no chance of pregnancy. You could skip an entire month. It happens to everyone. I wouldn't worry unless it stays away too long.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    yea. exercise can totally make your period irregular and late, even if you have always had regular cycles. my whole life i have always had regular cycles. then when i went into the army when i was 18. at basic training, i didn't get a period for like 4 months, because of how much more active i was constantly. after, my fitness slowed down a little, my periods went back to normal. dieting and exercise can mess them up.
  • jwolff7
    jwolff7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I got back into working out, my period did not start until 2 weeks after. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It happens when you change your exercise habits, food that you eat, etc. :)
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my period late, but I have had it early, multiple times in the month, or much lighter than normal since I started exercising every day. Remember that stress or excitement can also change body chemistry! Maybe phone your OB-GYN and ask if you should be worried, but don't get too agitated yet. If it goes onto a second invisible cycle, then I'd make an appointment to make sure everything's physically okay. Do what your doctor says, and it should straighten itself out!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Any change in exercise level can affect it. Unless your cycle starts being unpredictable for more than a month or two, I wouldn't worry about it at all!
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    i wouldn't worry too much unless it doesn't turn up for a while. i've never had regular periods, they would come every few months sometimes, when i got to 18 it was every 6 months! i've been on birth control since then because I was sick of it, I now dn't get any thanks to the depo injection, love it, i get very little pms with it :) if it bothers you too much maybe think about it but its up to you if it's really inconvenient for you :)
  • brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do not fret. I am VERY regular and when I started working out harder, I missed one of mine. And I am on birth control and haven't been sexually active in awhile, so I knew I wasn't pregnant. I just accredited it to the extreme increase in physical activity and didn't worry a bit. Came back the next month.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    wow! thank you so muh for the quick and informative responses!! soo appreciated!!:heart:
  • MommyFancypants
    MommyFancypants Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was a lot younger I started exercising and it would only come every other month. If you don't get it by the time the next one is due I would follow up with your OB/GYN. : )
  • lkalpowsky
    Options
    If you've recently (like the last month) become more active that's most likely the case, but if you're nomally pretty regular it should go back to normal in the future as your body gets used to a new level of activity. If it's still irregular next month, or if you miss a month altogether it's probably worth consulting a doctor to let them know about your new health plan and to make sure nothing else is going on.
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For me, my TOM would always come every 4 weeks. Since I've started eating healthy and getting more active, it now comes every 6 weeks. I think it's a good thing, though. My healthy lifestyle is making me less of a b**** XD
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Why is that embarrassing for you? It's part of you. There is nothing to be embarrassed about.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I ft you are too low a body weight your periods will cease, so make sure you are not TOO thin. If this is not the case, it might just be a change in your cycle, but if it continues, then seek medical advice
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Most of us have periods...why is it "so embarrassing"? Lol. Change in activity levels can definitely kinda throw stuff outta whack. Don't worry about it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    you seem to be quite slender to me, is it possible your body fat has gone low enough to prevent ovulation?