blood sugar/mood swings

Options
Does anyone know if there is a connection between low blood sugar and mood swings? The reason I ask is that today I was called into a meeting and missed lunch. By the time I was able to get something I was a wreck emotionally. Not to mention just plain hungry. The last time I can remember this happening was when I skipped my normal breakfast to meet someone for a breakfast meeting and the meeting was cancelled.

It doesn't seem to just impact me physically. I seem to become very negatively emotional.

Is this just me?

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is a connection between low blood sugar and mood swings? The reason I ask is that today I was called into a meeting and missed lunch. By the time I was able to get something I was a wreck emotionally. Not to mention just plain hungry. The last time I can remember this happening was when I skipped my normal breakfast to meet someone for a breakfast meeting and the meeting was cancelled.

It doesn't seem to just impact me physically. I seem to become very negatively emotional.

Is this just me?
  • healthhero
    healthhero Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Signs & Symptoms of hypoglycemia
    Symptoms include weakness, shakiness, excess hunger, anxiety, outbursts, faintness, headaches, passing out, delirium, coma, hallucinations, excess sweating, the appearance of intoxication, marked personality changes, irritability, negativism, mood swings, depression, crying spells, and a panorama of similar mental symptoms.

Mood swings are a sign.

If I were you, I'd try eating six small meals a day...

Good luck!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! That's helpful. I also started dealing with a headache and nausea today. I guess I better start keeping some emergency provisions with me.

Good to know I'm not loosing my mind!
  • His_Kelly
    Options
    Both my mother and my fiance are diabetic.... and whenever they first start to go low the first sign is EXTREME irritability. That is my sign to give them something to eat. :wink:
  • akrahmer
    Options
    Yeah, I'm diabetic, too, and my family and friends all tell me I start to get very unpleasant when low--I'll cry, get angry for no reason--one time, I was so mean to my 35 year old older bro that he wouldn't speak to me until he realized that my blood sugar was low.

It totally affects your mood. Walnuts or peanuts--some sort of slightly fatty protein--is a really good preventer of hypoglycemia, and they fill you up quickly so you can eat fewer!

Good luck!
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar will impact your moods, yes. It's worse for some people than others but there's a definite connection. Personally, I've found that sleep deprivation aggravates this quite a lot.

Me + no sleep + low blood sugar = :explode:

Yeah. And no, I'm not diabetic. Or hypoglycemic.