I think I am addicted to weighing myself! Help!

Options
I have a problem! I cannot stop weighing myself. I managed to go 3 days without weighing in and today I literally weighed myself 5 times. I am setting myself for disappointment! Has anyone else experienced this issue?!

Replies

• epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself more than most people do. But it works for me.

As long as you realize that your weight fluctuates throughout the day and don't get hung up when you've "gained" three pounds since breakfast it can be a useful tool. With me it is tied to salt intake. If I know I have eaten a lot of salt one day and the scale says 2 more pounds than it did the day before I know to cool it with the salt for a day or so.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day in the morning. I don't let myself get upset with what i see, because i know that my weight fluctuates. I like seeing what the scale says. It helps me stay motivated. I am just very careful not to get upset if it looks like i'm not losing weight.:flowerforyou:
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Yes. I traded one addiction for another, which is common in addictive personalities. But it didnt really get bad until I hit the plateau....then I got obsessed....getting up in the middle of the night to weigh.

I have myself to the point that I keep myself to two weighs a day...one morning one night. If I find myself going overboard again, I dont weigh for several days.

Remember, this is a lifestyle...live you life, live it healthy and dont let the scale rule your life.
  • k92monica
    Options
    Thank yall so much for the advice! I will start taking note of my salt intake and try to limit the weighing to twice a day.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I have always HATED the scale and now I weigh once a month on the scale at weight watchers! I go by how my size 6 or 7 jeans feel, if they feel snug then I become very disciplined ! I always let that scale be the ruler of my day and that became a sickness to me!! Not good!!!
  • stephcheers
    Options
    I don't own a scale....but you don't want to know me when the scale at the gym is broken. Which seems to happen every few months. But I'ld rather have it out of my home because I know I would be obsessed. Case in point; I'm on MFP a LOT! LOL :tongue:
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I am totally obssessed with my scale. My husband says that he is going to hide it from me and only bring it out 1x a week...I usally get on several times a day , i know the only one that counts is 1 x a week, so most of the time i don't put to much weight , sometimes thouhgh when I have eaten bad i know it gets ugly. I do like those when i see it going down through the week. I have a digitial scale so seeing those little. .1 or .2 of a lb keeps me encourged.
  • PatB52
    PatB52 Posts: 65
    Options
    I have gone through times when I've been obsessive about weighing. Right now I don't weigh everyday, but usually several times a week. I use what I see on Friday mornings as what I record.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Me too! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I love to see the numbers go down, I know that my weight will be up 2-3 pounds in the evening after a bigger meal, & lower in the mornings.
    But I'm weighing in twice (at least) each day. :huh:
    I just need to see those smaller numbers!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    I love it!
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    lol yup...im an obsessive weigher.....i usually weigh myself 3-5 times a day :blushing: but i just like seeing how the body fluctuates between meals and everything else ...just dont get upset about the slight fluctuations and understand thats just how the body works :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's the reason I don't have scales at home. I weigh myself at Wal-Mart or at my doc's office. I would be on the scales all day if I had them.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My husband hid mine about 3 months ago now I weigh when my trainer weighs me which isnt often
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I love weighing myself but made a big mistake buying a $7.99 non-digital scale from Walmart. I have very bad vision and when I stand on the scale I can't see the tiny lines between the 5lb marks :laugh:
  • burbuja
    burbuja Posts: 32
    Options
    So am I...

I can't go a day without weighing myself and I have to weigh myself several times, I can get on the scale 10x to get the most accurate weight....is that crazy? I'll do it with my pj's on in the morning several times and then I'll do it with my pj bottoms and socks off LOL!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I gave my son my scale the other day and told him to hide it from me. I get too upset when I see I lose then end up gaining the weight back again. Maybe I'll wait until the last day of the month and then ask him for it back for just that one day.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    So am I...

I can't go a day without weighing myself and I have to weigh myself several times, I can get on the scale 10x to get the most accurate weight....is that crazy? I'll do it with my pj's on in the morning several times and then I'll do it with my pj bottoms and socks off LOL!

Ok this post has me cracking up!! :laugh: Thank you, I needed that laugh today
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight I would weigh myself daily. This time around I probably weigh myself ever two or three days. I never freak out if it's higher but am obviously happy when it's lower... the trend over time still shows a loss so that was the main goal. I'm a personal believer in only weighing first thing in the morning, no clothes, after you've used the bathroom. I don't weigh myself at any other time and can't imagine weighing myself multiple times a day (seems like that could be counterproductive since you'll probably weigh more after you've eaten, etc).
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that as long as you know how to mentally and emotionally handle what you read. As in, I weigh myself sometimes several times a day out of curiosity regarding the fluctuations. Do I freak out? No. Do I do it? Yes. Is it a problem then? I don't think so...!

Just make sure you're doing it for a carefree reason.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I'm a scale *kitten* and thats fine just log your weight once a week not as much as you weigh yourself or you won't be consistent weight fluctuates daily and even hourly- Don't let it stress you out.
  • binkyb00
    binkyb00 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning and when I get home from work, so I'm a scale *kitten* myself too. But you know what? WHO CARES! As long as we love ourselves that's all that matters. If it's working for you looking at it then I say you go girl!

For me it's a great way to stay motivated. If I see I lost 2 lbs more than I had thought I would I let myself eat something bad :P It's my little treat, and it's working for me so far.