minnesota anyone?

Options
klinkow
klinkow Posts: 26 Member
i see alot of people on here from other states especially cali. but never minnesota. im from the northern part wondering what you do in winter for exercise

Replies

• klinkow
    Options
    two days and no one from minnesota wow
  • SBlost
    SBlost Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi, Im from MN.
    I dont have a gym membership but I am thinking I will get one during the winter months. Right now all I do is walk my dogs around the neighborhood or lakes and some light stretching or aerobics. During the winter I wont be able to, so I feel the gym will be best for me, keep me motivated.
    Feel free to add me.
    Good luck on your journey to a healthier you!!
  • klinkow
    Options
    i was thinking the same thing for winter. hopefully we still have 2 months or so.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm from Minneapolis. When winter comes I become a totally lazy fat@ss, laying on my couch eating tons of carbs and whining about how cold it is. I gain 5-10 lbs each winter; I need that extra layer of fat to stay warm. It comes off again each spring so I don't stress.
  • MandaKayMakesIt
    Options
    I'm from MN--MSP area. I do have a gym membership for the winter months, but I also have a mini-home gym and do dvd's at home. I also try to get outside running/walking as much as possible during the winter (esp. when we have a snowless winter like last year!)
  • Lindaspencer
    Lindaspencer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lol! :) Im from MN - Your post didnt show up on the right hand side until today for me - i go to the gym in the winter - but if you can handle the cold - i would suggest cross country sking and of course shoveling :) lol - but i am not the winter kind of gal so i go to the gym
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    I'm in MN!! :) just south of St. Paul - I get more active in the fall and spring than in summer and winter I hit the gym...
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Minnesota also! I workout all year long, not much of a sit still kind of person anymore. Add me if u want!
  • khaleesinoodlebelly
    khaleesinoodlebelly Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am in Minneapolis. There is actually a group for people from Minnesota.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/163-minnesota
  • michluth
    michluth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I actually find I do my best weight loss work in the winter months. Too many social occasions in the summer get me off track with eating and drinking!

It's definitely more of a challenge to exercise outside in the winter, but here are some of the things I do:
    In the cities we are blessed with many regional parks that groom hiking and skiing trails in the winter. So I put on my winter boots and can get a good hike in that way. It also burns more calories to trudge through the snow. This winter I'd love to cross country ski or snow shoe.

Indoors I have several exercise dvd's I use - I must rotate them for variety otherwise I get bored. Last winter I climbed the stairs in my house 100 times a few nights a week. You have to get creative, but you can do it! I also use my Wii Fit for variety. I have a Biggest Loser wii game that is a pretty good workout, and Wii Fit Plus is fun, but if you do the step or run activities, you can really work up a sweat.

Those are my ideas. I'd love to see some more ideas from other cold weather people.
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    MN native born and raised! I hibernate in the winter ; ) not much exercise.
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    Northern Wisconsin, does that count? Yeah, winters are tough especially when you live in the sticks and the nearest gym is 50 miles away. I have a weight set and treadmill in the basement. They don't get used as often as they should, but they do get used.
  • Lakeswoman
    Lakeswoman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Minnesota here, MSP metro area. Have a neighborhood clubhouse with a pretty decent set of exercise stuff..treadmills, ellipticals and weights plus resistance machines that all come in handy during the super muggy times as well as the colder winter days. I walk my dog a lot, so we're outdoors often. Add me if you'd like.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I should add that I do have a gym membership, but my usage takes a serious nosedive during winter (despite the fact that the gym is less than a mile from my apartment--yes I am THAT lazy). I have a bunch of workout DVDs, weights and resistance bands at home, so I at least try to utilize those every so often. Otherwise, it's hibernation time, lots of eating and sleeping, like a bear. :tongue:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm from Illinois but my son's barber gave us the keys to his cabin up there! We love Itasca state park, love to fish, hike and bike.

Here in IL, I mainly use my treadmill and a bowflex (that I rarely use) in winter. I also bundle up and go outside when possible (yes, it does get cold in IL but it's tolerable if you're dressed for it), and I go to the local YWCA to swim. This winter, I also plan on using the weight machines there.
  • Jessies_journey
    Jessies_journey Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! MN here!!!! I do alot of DVD's and still try to run outside a couple times a week. Especially last winter was awesome! Just bundle up!
  • ahelland21
    ahelland21 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I live in the Twin Cities. I have a gym membership that I definitely don't use much in the summer, but it is nice to have in the winter. I also have a treadmill at home, and have started using a variety of workout DVD's at home too (yoga, pilates, 30 Day Shred, etc). I also have Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus, so I throw those into the mix too -- anything I can do to change it up and keep it interesting... :)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    mini-home gym
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Southern MN here. Workout DVDs and Zumba classes work well for me in the winter! :)
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I live in the St. Paul burbs. I just got a Y membership and do DVDs and Wii zumba. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need some "local" support. Best of luck!!