What's your favorite dinner when you're out of cals?

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
I came across this by accident when I was adding in my calories for last night. It's a recipe from Jamie Oliver for eggplant salad. We always eat it as a whole dinner.

Cut an eggplant in quarters and steam it until soft. Shred it with your fingers and put it in a bowl.
While it is hot, add a dressing of 4 T balsamic vinegar, 2 T low sodium soy sauce, a T sugar or agave or other sweetener. Toss.

Add other vegetables - Last night I add chopped celery, 1 cup cherry tomatoes, mung beans, watercress, a few cups bok choy.

ANY other veggies that you like and are good. If they need to cook, you can add them to the eggplant steamer. Serve warm or cold.

It makes 4 servings at 85 calories each. I tossed cashews on top and it was VERY filling.

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Mmmm sounds good :)
  • ohnogogo
    ohnogogo Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Baked Zucchini Boats are my favorite; they just also happen to be very low calorie as well.

2 small or 1 large zucchini
    1 tomato
    2 -3 leaves of fresh Basil
    1 tsp chopped garlic (I use the Christopher Ranch chopped garlic in water)
    4tsp Parmesan

Cut the zucchini in half long ways. With a small spoon scrap out the seeds from each zucchini half.

Dice the tomato, slice up the basil, put in a bowl and mix well with the garlic and parmesan.

Fill the zucchini halves with the tomato mixture and bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Depending on the weight of your veggies (I weigh everything) the calories will be around 120 - 140. This is very tasty and quite filling.
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    this is a great thread. awesome ideas!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    yum!(bump for later)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made grilled cod for the first time - using a spice rub and no-stick spray. Added fresh veggies and a salad, and was deliciously just over 200....
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    Bump!!

Yummy ideas!
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tebcolorado
    Options
    If I'm completely out of calories I sometimes will make a salad with raw veggies and use homemade salsa as the dressing. Very very low cals and delicious!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Exercise then eat what ever I want.
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    Swamp Soup

Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 20 min. Total: 30 min.

INGREDIENTS COST
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    3 stalks celery
    4 med carrots
    1 med onion
    3 cloves garlic
    1 Tbsp dried basil
    1 Tbsp dried oregano
    1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
    45 oz. diced tomatoes
    1.5 tsp chicken or vegetable bouillon
    1.5 cups water
    1 (10 oz.) pkg frozen spinach

STEP 1: Clean and chop the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook in a large pot with olive oil over medium heat until the vegetables have softened (about 5 minutes). Stir in the basil and oregano and cook for one more minute.

STEP 2: Pour in the cans of diced tomatoes (do not drain) and tomato sauce. For the diced tomatoes you can either use 3 (15 oz.) cans or 1 (28 oz.) can plus 1 (15 oz.) can. The latter will probably be less expensive.

STEP 3: Add 1.5 cups chicken broth or 1.5 cups water plus 1.5 tsp chicken bouillon. To make this a vegetarian dish, simply substitute the chicken broth or bouillon with a vegetable variety. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and the brick of frozen spinach. Allow the mixture to heat through, stirring occasionally to break up the spinach as it melts (about 10 minutes).

97 calories per 1 cup serving
  • laurajaneneal67
    Options
    I enjoy fresh sliced tomatoes from the garden and any other beautiful veggies that I may have. Small amount of dressing for dipping, leaving the romaine lettuce leaves whole is fun. The table is full and I feel good about all the nutrients !!!
  • ch00singlife
    ch00singlife Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yummy bumpy
  • CruzZ8
    CruzZ8 Posts: 71
    Options
    Bump
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a nice little salad but it's not dinner by any stretch of the imagination. Really, an 85-calorie dinner? I'd just go over and make up for it later.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Fried squash (with non-stick cooking spray) and 2 vegan boca burgers. Very filling and only 180 calories

OR if I'm in a hurry

McDonald's grilled chicken caesar salad with balsamic vinaigrette - around 220 cals
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a nice little salad but it's not dinner by any stretch of the imagination. Really, an 85-calorie dinner? I'd just go over and make up for it later.

It surprised me - I've been making it as a dinner for years for more family. I had no idea it had so few calories.
  • mjutan
    mjutan Posts: 23
    Options
    I've got a couple of favourites I keep swinging back to:

1. Fish and Veggies
    -1 fillet of Basil Pesto Tilapia from Costco, fantastic, 120 calories
    -huge bowl of stir-fried frozen veggies, no sauce, stir-fried in water (basically steamed), approx 80 calories.

Pesto is very tasty on fish and mixes with veggies a bit, doesn't need extra sauce. Tastes great and very filling, only 200 cals.
    Sometimes I add Quinoa to this to really make it filling, but that'll end up at about 350 cals.

2. Massive Salad
    -Veggies, veggies, veggies
    -For salad dressing, maybe balsamic vinegar ONLY, no Olive Oil
    -Dress it up a little with some light feta cheese
    -Can use lemon juice or muscat vinagrette from Trader Joe's as dressing, very low cal

3. Fat-Free Greek Yoghurt and Fruit
    -Fage Yoghurt is amazing, massive bowl is about 130 cals
    -Add honey (careful!!! high calories, only 1 tablespoon)
    -Or small amount of granola (careful, also high calorie, just use a bit)
    -Or even better, cut up some peaches, blueberries, or raspberries and add 'em in, tastes awesome and low cal.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Stir-fry vegetables in fry-light.

Steamed veg and Bisto gravy.

OR..ratatouille.

VERY low cal and can have a lot for little calories. x
  • jojoof4
    jojoof4 Posts: 120
    Options
    bump