Backpacking

Options
I am going backpacking for 3 weeks this summer, and am worried it will throw my healthy eating off track. I don't want to waste lots of time cooking meals while I'm travelling, and I don't know if I'll even have the facilities to cook everywhere I go.

On previous trips I have ended up eating a lot of bread cheese and cherry tomatoes, because it's super easy and cheap. But I don't really want to do this again... The problem is as well, as I will be moving around, I pretty much have to eat what I buy, so buying vegetables like squash, aubergine, or tins of pulses is wasteful, because I can't eat the whole thing, and its impractical to take it with me from city to city. I also really don't like waste.

Does anyone have any good ideas for how to stay healthy while backpacking? Has anyone else had this experience?

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fit exercise in as well, but hopefully lugging round my 65l backpack and lots of walking to do sight seeing should keep me fairly fit. I'll be staying in hostels, so things in my room will be near impossible, with the limited space. And I'll be travelling in summer, so most of the cities will be around 30 degrees C, so running isn't very practical either.

I really want to make this work, I'm just stumped for ideas and would be incredibly grateful for any advice/suggestions!

Thanks guys x

Replies

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hey! I went backpacking for three weeks in England. My diet was probably the last thing on my mind, and I think I lived off of one box of cereal for the first three days. The cool thing is that for the most part you are very very active. I was always moving around, going to different places, etc. My recommendation would be to try the local cuisine. I was able to have a ton of home cooked meals (British food is very heavy though!), but it was definitely worth it, and I will probably never have the same opportunity again. It also depends on how much money you have on your trip, I was on a super low budget, so that affected my meal choices. Have an AWESOME time, and try small portions of everything, let it become part of the experience. If you look at it that way, then you won't want to gorge on one of the American fast food chains that have popped up everywhere.
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was on such a tiny budget the first time I went back-packing in Europe that my friend and I ate very unhealthily--chocolate bars, packets of crisps, and things from the bakery. We still lost weight somehow because we were walking everywhere up and down a ton of stairs, and also sometimes elected to skip a meal so we could afford an entrance fee to some castle or other. Not recommended.

But last time I went back-packing it was for my mom's sixtieth birthday and we ate much more healthily. A favorite was soup and bread at the local pub in England. I don't usually eat a lot of bread but it was inexpensive and filling and we were so active, we still lost weight walking everywhere. Thanks Mom!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Where are you travelling?
  • roguestates
    roguestates Posts: 223
    Options
    Depends on where you are backpacking. I went through SE Asia and sought out veggie-laden dishes and healthy proteins like chicken satay or other skewered meats, eggs, etc.

Honestly, don't even worry about your calorie intake as long as you are getting adequate nutrition to maintain energy levels. You'll be walking A LOT. I walked average 6-8 hours per day going place to place or light walking for hours at museums and stuff.

The main caveat is drinking. That can be a lot of calories in one night. I'm a lightweight so I end up nursing my drinks anyway, but if you have a high tolerance, alcohol intake would be worth watching.

Enjoy!!!
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    I just wouldn't worry about it. The amount of activity you will be doing will probably compensate for any extra calories you consume.

The other thing is, it should be an amazing experience, you should allow yourself to experience it without worrying. You should be able to immerse yourself in the local culture, and that includes the cuisine.
  • icklecyberfairy
    icklecyberfairy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I went backpacking in India in December last year and China before that. In India I lost 3lbs (3 weeks) and in China I lost 6lbs (2 weeks). Indian food is a little richer than the food I ate in China.

I recommend carrying around some nuts. In most Asian countries you can usually pick up single servings of fruit from street traders.

I'm going backpacking soon, heading to Vietnam. I am seriously not worried about what I am going to eat. You're on holiday and the food is as much of the experience as anything else. So relax and just make sensible choices whenever possible.

EDIT: I got sick on both these trips. In fact i was sick 3 times in India and what I found is that you don't want to be eating at a deficit incase you do get sick. You'll feel weaker quicker. But I suppose this depends where you are going.
  • FlatWet
    FlatWet Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am backpacking currently. I have a bag of lentils (dry) which I can easily turn into lentil soup with just some water and some easy to find veggies. I also have been eating LOTS of fruit and nuts.

Think about dry goods that can be portioned out easily.
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the tip on a bag of lentils. I will definitely be packing this now. :) I'm going to be in Europe, so tummy shouldn't be a problem, but reading food labels and trying to figure out what's what can be a bit difficult sometimes!

Thanks
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    One of the plus points about the European Union is that info on packaging has to be in more than one language - so you will find it pretty easy to read the packaging. And fresh fruit is always a good option!