What do you do to distract yourself from eating?

Options
I recently was changed from celexa to zoloft and since the zoloft started kicking in all I can think about is food. I've tried drinking water when I think of food. I'm not even hungry when I think of food. I just FEEL like I should be eating. I've tried eating more protein and more fiber, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Instead of plain water try something with flavour. When the munchies hit me inthe evening, I like a cup of herbal tea. The one that really helps me is Tazo's Wild Sweet Orange. It has a ton of flavour
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self.... I know that sounds odd but every time i feel the urge to eat when im not really hungry i go and weigh myself as a reminder why i shouldn't eat...

A few other things i do :

* Drink Hot tea

* Brush Teeth

* Chew gum
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Do some crunches.
    Do "project" housework.
    Weigh yourself.
    Meditate.
    Go to the library.
    Journal.
    Bake a batch of muffins or a banana bread.
    Clean the refrigerator.
    Try clothes on.
    Play with your makeup and really VAMP it up.
    Go yard-saling.
  • courtneyweiss
    Options
    Log on to MFP!! :laugh:

I find that if I'm idle at night, I just log in here. I can spend hours on the message boards and not even think about food!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Hey Silver_Dream if you do all thee above you will not be over weight and you probably wouldn't need the zoloft either! I know a person who quit the zoloft because of the same thing! I sthe med for depression? Try more cardio, it TRULY relieves depression!!!
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I am on MFP ALL day long. I just sit here all day long, and it probably doesn't help that I look at my food diary most of the day as well. the zoloft seems to be working for the depression, but I've gained 2 to 3 lbs since starting it and I don't know if it's water weight or what.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self.... I know that sounds odd but every time i feel the urge to eat when im not really hungry i go and weigh myself as a reminder why i shouldn't eat...

That could backfire for me if I happened to up when I weighed myself.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I am on MFP ALL day long. I just sit here all day long, and it probably doesn't help that I look at my food diary most of the day as well. the zoloft seems to be working for the depression, but I've gained 2 to 3 lbs since starting it and I don't know if it's water weight or what.

It most likely is fluid weight- my doctor told me some of them can make you retain water, but they do have the unfortunate side effect of increasing appetite.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    cleaning house, get a hobby, work on something you put off for awhile.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    play on you iphone wooooo!!
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    *sad* I don't have an iphone and even if I did, it wouldn't work here! No cell service for 30 miles! I've been trying to think of a hobby, one that I can do with a 2 year old running around and being up my bum.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options

A few other things i do :

* Drink Hot tea

* Brush Teeth

* Chew gum
    good idea
  • kaja
    kaja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Put on some music and dance. It make me feel great.
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    How many calories is in a regular cup of tea?
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    0 calories in a cup of tea...yay! except I put sugar in mine. Or is honey better calorie-wise?
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Go to YouTube and search for Spark People - they have great free workouts, most of them are around 10 minutes long with a lot of variety. They're fun to do and may help you get your mind off food.
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    I have dial up though, will they still work with dial up?
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Log on to MFP!! :laugh:

I find that if I'm idle at night, I just log in here. I can spend hours on the message boards and not even think about food!
    :glasses:
    me too!
    I never eat with the computer in my lap.
    I come here & read the success stories from way back.
    I read all the motivational threads.
    I look at the profiles of people & see how much weight they've lost & it really helps me.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't know - can you get YouTube? If you can get it, you could also download Real Player (it's free) to download the video clips. Then you can access them even with out Internet.