Post HCG diet

Options
I lost almost 50 pounds with HCG in just a couple months...and gained it all back...and then some. I think the severe restrictions of that diet have made it so any other restrictive diet is just not something I can get behind. I'm going to MFP a go and see where I can get :). I've been doing it for a couple days and love how simple it is...love the barcode scanning!

I'm 28 years old, with 3 amazing little boys and a great husband. I worked night shift as an RN for 8 years now.

I have easily 100 pounds to lose. :(. Which is pathetic. I will say when I weighed 220s and was a 16, I felt good and thought I looked great! I'm 5'11".

Looking for support...add me! :)

Haley

Replies

• mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!

MFP is a really great resource to keep you focused and connect you with a wealth of fitness resources and like minded folks.

1. Log your foods every day - don't skip days, or parts of your day. log everything!
    2. Analyze each day - see where it went good and where it went bad - too much fat? maybe too many carbs? over the calorie limit? Identify and plan how to correct it for tomorrow.
    3. Reach out to the community with questions or advice needs.
    4. Build a network of friends here!
    5. Above all, do not believe everything you read here. There is a lot of great advice, but also some misleading and hype type advice. Part of getting fit is educating yourself in aspects of health and fitness. Make sure any questionable advice is looked at with a scientific eye and look for facts, evidence, and most importantly real world proof.
    6. You are more than a number. Sometimes the scale may not say what you hoped - thats fine. weight loss is not a straight line declination. Its a bumpy line that drops over time. Don't let single day numbers get your focus away from term based results.
    7. Vary your exercises. Your body forms memories and can slow down how it burns fat and builds muscles. Keep it confused! Hit it hard with cardio styles. Build lean muscle to burn even more fat.
    8. and above all - take your photo now! You will want to look back and have a starting BEFORE picture to proudly display along with your series of PRESENT or CURRENT photos during your transformation and continued lifestyle of fitness.

I welcome you, and anyone else out there to add me as a friend. I have made fitness and health my passion and love the idea of folks joining me in my new lifestyle of being fit, healthy, and most importantly - HAPPY!.

I'm here to support and motivate!!! I find my own success comes easier when I help and fuel other folks success.

and remember - most folks care more about the quality of fuel they put in their lawn mowers than the fuel they put in their bodies. Don't be one of those people. Whole foods. Natural foods. Intelligent choices.

Fit for life,
    Mark M. Reed
    aka Marc Mayhem - Fitness Blogger, and Motivator!

Add me as a friend and take part in my daily fitness discussions, tips, and commentary on MyFitnessPal!
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site, hope you find everything here helpful in your weight loss journey. :smile: I joined last week and am pretty impressed at how easy it is to track meals when compared to other sites.

Sent you a friend request.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am so gald to hear that you got away from the HCG diet. Unfortnately, some people keep doing that 500 calorie a day starvation diet over and over again, because every time they finish it, the weight comes right back!
  • TXCC
    TXCC Posts: 56
    Options
    Glad you are trying MFP. I too did the HCG diet not once but 3 times. I lost 60 pounds and gained back 40. Now I am at MFP and love it. However, unfortunately, I guess I really messed up my metabolism. It has been a slow go for me this time, but I know this is healthier and better for me. I am learning how to eat correctly and making a life style commitment not just losing weight. Friend me if you like. We all need support, encouragement and accountability on this journey! Good luck to you!
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    hey all! new here to MFP. i too am an HCG veteran. did the diet twice. first time, lost 12lbs but then gained a majority of it back over the holidays. second time, lost about 10lbs but then gained it back after two weeks in italy (gelato and pasta anyone?). anyway, here i am on MFP trying to do this the old fashioned way with clean eating and exercise. i spent a majority of july just trying to repair my metabolism, mostly eating anything and everything. i hit a set weight where i literally ate whatever i wanted (think doritos and funfetti cupcakes) and stopped gaining. but please realize that i spent over a year post HCG diet surviving on barely 800 calories a day. anything over that and i'd gain like 2lbs overnight.

anyway, i'm now trying MFP to hold myself accountable for whatever i put in my mouth. i'm trying out 1200 calories a day (low carb, high protein...i feel the best eating this way) and working out. my workouts are mostly walking (while pushing a 35lb 3 year old in a stroller uphill) and strength training 2-3 days a week. i'm on day 2 and hoping to see some sort of weight loss by friday.

so, here i am! giving myself 3 months to lose 10lbs. slow and steady but hopefully permanent! feel free to friend me!! thanks!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I wish the FDA would get to work in taking ALL the HCG diet junk off the market! before more people waste their money and mess up their metabolsim with it

They made all over-the-counter HCG diet products illegal in Dec 2011, but are very slow to act.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Here's a good article for anyone that's tempted to try the HCG diet

http://www.theskinnyschool.com/how-hcg-wrecked-my-metabolism/
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I did the HCG as well (I did it under the care of a Doctor the entire time) lost 30lbs, then lost 10 more after I left the program, so far have only gained back the 10 I lost on my own. I've been on here a while (where I gained part of it back) and haven't had any luck in losing, I stayed the same weight for 4 months! Then started gaining. I'm struggling with how many calories should I eat, what should they be made up of, and how much exercise should I be doing per week.

Like the OP I wouldn't do the HCG again, I can't bring myself to go back to that much of a restricted diet again, it's not just hard on the system, it's hard on the soul. I'm meeting with a personal trainer tomorrow to hopefully help me get back on track again, in a healthy way. Fingers crossed this works!

You're welcome to friend me and we can get through this together!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    The HCG diet is a HORRBILE thing to do to your body!

NO DOCTOR WORTH TRUSTING WOULD EVER RECOMMEND THAT DANGEROUS FRAUD!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss