127 to go - more than just the number - I need an overhaul

Options
lk5144a
lk5144a Posts: 10 Member
Hi Everyone,

At my highest I was 305 last year. When I hit 305 I vowed to do something about it and I joined weight watchers. That worked for me for about a month and then I got lazy with it. I also have realized over the last year I have developed a pattern for binge drinking, which, once I start drinking I continue a cycle that includes eating and often, smoking.

What is different about this weight loss attempt compared to the hundreds that have come before, is I've lived in a way where I act like it doesn't matter what I do today because I will get up tomorrow and change everything (eat really clean, work out, don't smoke, don't drink, etc.) and once the day does not start off "perfect" I throw in the towel.

This time - I am not promising that. I have setting little short term goals that are part of a bigger picture. This past week I have tracked my calories 7 out of 8 days, I have stayed under my calorie limit 6 out of 8 days. That is a big accomplishment because consistency is hard for me.

My only goals right now are:
No drinking on work nights
Track calories daily
stay under 2,000 calories until weight is 280 (re-think goals at that point).

That's it - plain and simple. Even if I go over my calories I still track daily.

I'm trying to not expect perfection, but start with simple behavior modification.

I am looking for people who are on a similar long-term journey (or have succeeded on one) who can support and hold each other accountable. I am currently at 292lbs (5'10") and my goal is 165.

Good luck to all of you!

Replies

• blue3dragon
    Options
    I have 111 lbs to lose , well now like 104 as I've lost 7.5 lbs this month. The number is daunting but just taking it 1day or even 1 hour at a time. I try to track every day but some days I have issues (I work 13+ hour days & sometimes I have no time to track before bed & am too exhausted to put off sleep). So far so good. I try to stay under my calories but track even if I don't. It's a struggle & one that is not new. I've done Atkins & Weight Watchers. I like that I can just scan a barcode & all the info gets entered. You can add me as a friend if you like - more support for both of us!!!!

Michele
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!

MFP is a really great resource to keep you focused and connect you with a wealth of fitness resources and like minded folks.

1. Log your foods every day - don't skip days, or parts of your day. log everything!
    2. Analyze each day - see where it went good and where it went bad - too much fat? maybe too many carbs? over the calorie limit? Identify and plan how to correct it for tomorrow.
    3. Reach out to the community with questions or advice needs.
    4. Build a network of friends here!
    5. Above all, do not believe everything you read here. There is a lot of great advice, but also some misleading and hype type advice. Part of getting fit is educating yourself in aspects of health and fitness. Make sure any questionable advice is looked at with a scientific eye and look for facts, evidence, and most importantly real world proof.
    6. You are more than a number. Sometimes the scale may not say what you hoped - thats fine. weight loss is not a straight line declination. Its a bumpy line that drops over time. Don't let single day numbers get your focus away from term based results.
    7. Vary your exercises. Your body forms memories and can slow down how it burns fat and builds muscles. Keep it confused! Hit it hard with cardio styles. Build lean muscle to burn even more fat.
    8. and above all - take your photo now! You will want to look back and have a starting BEFORE picture to proudly display along with your series of PRESENT or CURRENT photos during your transformation and continued lifestyle of fitness.

I welcome you, and anyone else out there to add me as a friend. I have made fitness and health my passion and love the idea of folks joining me in my new lifestyle of being fit, healthy, and most importantly - HAPPY!.

I'm here to support and motivate!!! I find my own success comes easier when I help and fuel other folks success.

and remember - most folks care more about the quality of fuel they put in their lawn mowers than the fuel they put in their bodies. Don't be one of those people. Whole foods. Natural foods. Intelligent choices.

Fit for life,
    Mark M. Reed
    aka Marc Mayhem - Fitness Blogger, and Motivator!

Add me as a friend and take part in my daily fitness discussions, tips, and commentary on MyFitnessPal!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I think the key is to persevere, even when you don't feel like it. Even if you have a plateau for a few days, weeks, or months. You'll get there. Best wishes!
  • WarningBell
    Options
    You sound just like me, we're even currently the same weight! Mind if I add you? :)

Stephy
  • TrinaTW
    TrinaTW Posts: 88
    Options
    Wow, we are very similar! Your current approach is the one that is going to get you to your goals!! I still have about 50 lbs to go and it's taken me over 2 years to get to where I'm at, but , I have made so many lasting changes in my life with baby steps and I am truly a different person, in all good ways!! I still stumble and quite literally actually as I've had several injuries that have set me back as well. But that attitude of making small changes and building on that, knowing some days are going to be harder than others and not giving up is key. Feel free to add me if you want more support. :)
  • lk5144a
    lk5144a Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I understand being to tired at the end of the day. I try to track in advance (when I packed lunch the night before I went ahead and entered it) or track on my phone while I'm eating. But it's not always possible and at the end of the day I just want to pass out. I totally feel you!
  • MrJamsieboi
    Options
    Hey,

You have pretty much described my life in your first post I am trying to think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet.

My long term goal is to lose about 150lbs but I know if I focus on this I will lose heart when I don't see immediate results. I plan to try and take it one step at a time and see where it gets me.