Is this recipe gluten free?

Options
mehaffeymk
mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
I'm having a friend with Celiac over on Tuesday and I definitely wanna make sure the food I'm planning on cooking is gluten free. Can someone look this recipe over and tell me if I need to take something out or subsitute or anything? It's fajitas so instead of tortillas I'm gonna use iceberg lettuce leaves. The recipe is from 100daysofrealfood.com. Thanks y'all!

Slow Cooker Flank Steak Fajitas
YIELD: 5 – 6 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS

1 ½ lbs flank steak, preferably grass fed (we buy ours from Baucom’s Best at the Matthews Farmers’ Market)
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce, preferably the low-sodium variety
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 – 5 bell peppers, any color
1 onion
Other fajita fixings: Whole-wheat tortillas, grated cheese, fresh sliced avocado, cilantro, lime slices, fresh spinach leaves, sour cream, hot peppers, etc.
DIRECTIONS

Mix together the dry spices with a fork including the chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
Rub the spice mixture over all sides of the flank steak and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the soy sauce on top.
Top the flank steak with the diced jalapeno and minced garlic. Slice the bell peppers and onion and throw those on top of the steak as well.
Turn the slow cooker onto HIGH and cook for 5 – 6 hours or until the steak can easily be shredded with two forks.
Drain the meat and peppers well then serve with the recommended fajita “fixings” (listed above). Enjoy!

Replies

• Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Soy Sauce typically is not gluten free, unless it says it's gluten free.

God bless,
    Karen
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    You know wheat is a gluten, right? So the tortillas are out.
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The tortillas are not gluten free and the soy sauce isn't as well. You could find some rice flour tortillas at a health food store those are gluten free.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Get tamari instead of soy sauce-- it's usually made with 100% soy instead of including wheat. Also, corn tortillas are a great alternative. I like Ezekiel sprouted ones, but just check the ingredients and label to make sure it says "gluten free." I hope this helps! <3
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    soy sauce isn't gluten free.

Get Corn tortillas, then your friend can eat them!
  • triciamarie
    triciamarie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    you could use corn tortillas but they tend to not fold as easily and are smaller then wheat tortillas and look for a soy sauce alternative in health food section or store such as tamari. I am GF so let me know if u need other options!!!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I'm having a friend with Celiac over on Tuesday and I definitely wanna make sure the food I'm planning on cooking is gluten free. Can someone look this recipe over and tell me if I need to take something out or subsitute or anything? It's fajitas so instead of tortillas I'm gonna use iceberg lettuce leaves. The recipe is from 100daysofrealfood.com. Thanks y'all!

Slow Cooker Flank Steak Fajitas
    YIELD: 5 – 6 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS

1 ½ lbs flank steak, preferably grass fed (we buy ours from Baucom’s Best at the Matthews Farmers’ Market)
    1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon coriander
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons soy sauce, preferably the low-sodium variety
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 – 5 bell peppers, any color
    1 onion
    Other fajita fixings: Whole-wheat tortillas, grated cheese, fresh sliced avocado, cilantro, lime slices, fresh spinach leaves, sour cream, hot peppers, etc.
    DIRECTIONS

Mix together the dry spices with a fork including the chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
    Rub the spice mixture over all sides of the flank steak and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the soy sauce on top.
    Top the flank steak with the diced jalapeno and minced garlic. Slice the bell peppers and onion and throw those on top of the steak as well.
    Turn the slow cooker onto HIGH and cook for 5 – 6 hours or until the steak can easily be shredded with two forks.
    Drain the meat and peppers well then serve with the recommended fajita “fixings” (listed above). Enjoy!

The only thing that isn't is the soy sauce and the tortillas, you should look for GF low sodium Tamari. They sell it at most grocery stores.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Kikkoman makes a GF soy sauce. My regular grocery store carries it.
  • kristakh1
    kristakh1 Posts: 6
    Options
    La Choy soy sauce has no wheat in it.
    Hello- whole wheat tortillas - No! Try corn
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    One more thing - read the label on the sour cream. Lower fat versions can have fillers (food starch, etc.).

(My MIL has celiac)
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    thanks yall!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce in fajitas? I would just leave it out completely since it isn't a traditional fajita ingredient. I am not evens sure what it would taste like, but soy sauce and sour cream sounds yucky.

You can do corn tortillas.