Face sweating....and running!!!

Options
tlnurse
tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
Sooooo.....I'm currently training for couch to 5 K....am on week # 4. I have NEVER been a runner. Am a regular exerciser though...have done crossfit, p90x, Chalean extreme, zumba, etc.

Am trying to become a runner! Problem is sweat. I do not "glisten" or "glow" or "perspire" ....when my HR goes up, I sweat!!! (mostly in the face/scalp). I cannot see. It makes my nose run. How are you supposed to deal with that? LOL When running outside, I don't have a sweatrag or tissues with me....suggestions?:blushing:

Replies

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Get a wrist sweatband and wipe as you run?

I wear a baseball hat when I run. Cuts down on face sweat (doesn't stop it all though) and protects a bit from the sun (I burn way easily and sweat off sunblock). Just don't use a hat you like, it'll get gross fast.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I wear a baseball hat when I run. Cuts down on face sweat (doesn't stop it all though) and protects a bit from the sun (I burn way easily and sweat off sunblock). Just don't use a hat you like, it'll get gross fast.

This! I sweat a ton too and these have been my solutions. You can get the mesh hats that will keep your head cooler, or even just a visor. I never understood wrist bands until one day during the summer running in a tank I wished I had a sleeve to wipe my face and had an ah-ha moment. I love the wrist band now.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Oh as for the nose running it is a known condition. I believe you can take come antihistamines or just tuck a tissue some where. Maybe two sweat bands. Just don't get them confused.

Edited to add this link
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/415955-runny-nose-during-exercise/
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    as the previous comments mention.. a hat is the best answer i have found to the face sweat question.. in regards to the runny nose.. it took me a few attempts, but i learned how to do a clean "farmer's blow" whilst on the run. you turn your head to the side, plug one nostril and quickly exhale through your open (snotty) nostril.. then repeat on the other side.. if you execute it properly.. you won't even need to use your tshirt for a pat down.. note: do not do this when you have runners following close behind....
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Headband(sweatband)...yes its Olivia Newton John circa 1982...but it works. They make ones that are kinda stylish now too. The nose running is common, I view it as a badge of honor.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

i never thought about the hat as a way to control sweat - i use it to control my hair - i hate it when loose strands get stuck to my face. and i appear to get fewer migraines if i wear a hat...
    i don't use sunscreen in my face either (because it can really sting the eyes. and i always get it in there). i know i should though - i'm starting to look my age :tongue:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Wear a headband or sweatband?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I actually just use a washcloth folded in quarters on my right wrist, held with a large hair elastic. I sweat so much I usually have to refold it once or twice to expose dry areas. I call it my running corsage.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I sometimes carry a smaller towel and tuck it in my shorts.
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with sweat when I go riding. I swear by my Halo: http://store.haloheadband.com/default.asp

Does a spectacular job of keeping the sweat out of my eyes and off of my face. As for the snot thing, like the others have said, shoot out 1 side at a time making sure no one is next, or right behind, you.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi All runners sweat!!!! I carry a wash cloth in the waist of my shorts and use that to wipe. If your sweating you are working!!! Keep up the great work!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    When running outside, I don't have a sweatrag or tissues with me....suggestions?:blushing:

Running outside is better (for me anyway) than running on the treadmill, since I'm creating a breeze that helps keep my face just a little bit less drippy. Until I stop running, anyway.

As far as sunscreen... the kind in a push-up tube, like a giant chapstick, doesn't seem to get in my eyes when I sweat like with lotions or sprays. I use it on my forehead, nose, cheeks... and use regular sunscreen everywhere else.
  • rrrainiii
    rrrainiii Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wear a bandanna Rambo-style when I run. I, too, get quite sweaty...yuck! But bandannas are so cheap - I have a bunch of cute ones I picked up at Walmart. I never get sweat in my eyes or dripping down my face anymore!
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    I sweat a disgusting amount, even when my heart rate isn't up far.

I have invested in a sweatband for my head. Its a cute little black one made by Addidas, I found it in the local sporting goods store. Keeps the sweat out of my eyes!

Next I bring a small hand towel with me everywhere I go. Tuck it in the waist of your pants, or stuff it in the water bottle holder on the treadmill etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wear a cap with a sweatband built into it - but I still get sweaty when I run so when I l,ow down for a drink I wipe my face on a tissue if I have one, or on my shirt if I don't - classy, I know!
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm in the TX heat and I have choosen to use a wrist band. It is great to use to wipe drips as you run....I used to use my sleeve, but the wrist band has helped a lot!!!

Good luck and keep moving!!!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I like these ideas! I usually just use my t shirt as I am going along...lol. Reallll ladylike and all!
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I wear a hat from these guys:

http://www.headsweats.com/products/AirLite-Hat.html

It's made of a nice wicking fabric, and there's a sweatband built in. Plus, they are machine washable! I have had the same two for ten years and they're still going strong.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I put bandana on like a sweat band I guess and wear another one on my right wrist too to wipe off the sweat. Bandannas are $1 at Walmart. I have a whole collection of different designs. Makes it fun to get ready before I go out.

And... I am also training with the C25k program!! :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i bought a bunch of wrist bands i use those to wipe my forehead.

i also tend to get runny nose as well when i run outdoors, so one band i use to wipe my nose and the pother i use to wipe forehead.

today i didnt have clean ones to wear and went without. i ended up having burning sweat get in my eyes. NOT fun when you're trying to run sprints.

i hear there's a pretty good head band that works but i havent tried that yet