Artificial sweeteners hinder weight loss?

Options
I've been hearing that using artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, can mess with hormones making it harder to burn fat. I exercise a lot and eat right, and I'm seeing no progress. I'm wondering if there is any truth behind these Splenda rumors. Does anyone know?

Replies

• TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Options
    not that i've heard but man would that ever suck if it were true!

i use a no name brand, and put one package in my tea every night
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I just heard this on the today show today its very interesting. I personally don't use like splenda or anything i will use the reg. sugar if i use any.
  • mtweety33
    Options
    I have heard that they do. The way it was explained to me is that the taste tricks your body into thinking you're consuming sugar, but then when it actually gets digested your body realizes that there is no sugar. So you continue to crave that sugar and end up over eating/drinking because you're not truly satisfying your body's sugar craving!!! If you want to avoid that overly processed sugar try the natural Stevia substitute. I've heard that is a much better alternative to artificial sweeteners. Good luck :happy:

143295.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I use splenda quite often and I lost about 25 lbs in 3 months....then I fell of the bandwagon but i'm jumping back on so hopefully I can lose the rest:indifferent:
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have real problems with Splenda and so did my brother. But I also find I can't chew gum because it gives me intense cravings for candy.

I use sweet/low in my coffee and sometimes a few other things. It 's the only thing that doesn't mess with my blood sugar. I think it's okay and has been around a long time. I just wish I'd get off sodas, but if it helps me get this weight off, for a while I'm going to drink them occasionally. kc
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    That's the only solid proof they have right now of artificial sweeteners hindering weight loss. So if you can control your sugar cravings (I find fake sugar is my substitute for real sweets, not something I eat WITH real sweets) then I'm sure you are okay. The health side effects can be another story... but who knows...
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I always find that when I cut splenda out of my diet I lose weight better.... no science just my experience... but I feel ya, its tempting to use when you need something sweet!!
  • Questfor250
    Options
    Here is my take. Since I started the new me plan, my own Questfor250, I have been drinking over a gallon of water per day. Since my initial 7 days cleanse to kick off the campaign, I have noticed that I am not craving sugar at all. My taste buds have adapted and I actually and finding sweetness in the food that I eat instead. The natural sugars in everything seems to be enough for me.