Food Scales : Pro and Cons?

Options
I currently do not use or own a food scale . I have been using the mayo clinics recommendations on food portions. They have a handy slide show that relates portion sizes to household objects . I'm considering purchasing a scale to see if increased accuracy would improve my overall results in the long run...how many of you who have lost weight used or not used scales ? And how do you think the use or lack of use have affected your over all results ?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think they are useful but not essential - I lost weight very steadily last year and only very occasionally weighed things on my old (and inaccurate) scales.

I have since bought a good quality digital scale and I find that using cup or estimated measurements was pretty close for me - I was probably overestimating how much pasta I was eating and underestimating fruit but that wasn't significant enough to affect my weight loss progress.

I work on the theory that all the numbers we use are estimates anyway (food, exercise, BMR, calorie allowance) and that the overestimations probably cancel out the underestimations.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have no cons to report- I love mine. I use a digital scale that I purchased from amazon for a very reasonable price. Unlike Rubybelle, My eyeball measurements are not at all trustworthy- and some of them were off enough to make a difference. Peanut Butter, for example, I used to eyeball measure with a spoon, and have since found out that my eyeballed TBSP was really 2! with foods like PB, that can add up!

Since getting my scale, I am much better at eyeballing portions- I can come within a few grams of oats, fruit, veggies- most things really, but just tonight I had a little surprise- I had a sweet potato that I had estimated at around the same size as two others, and when I measured it it was 275 grams and not the 215 I had expected. The difference is about 50 calories- not a tragedy, but not insignificant either.

It's so quick to measure, I wouldn't go without it by choice anytime soon.
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back ...I think I've decided to purchase one it can't hurt only help. :)
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale.

I weigh mostly in grams.

It's whatever you prefer really
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    There are no cons when it comes to a food scale.
  • Andh_19
    Andh_19 Posts: 14
    Options
    I use my digital food scale all the time. They're super handy. I was overestimating serving sizes.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I bought a food scale a few months ago. I owe a lot of my success to learning what portion control is all about. My food scale taught me that I overeat a lot of things :laugh: I think it is a wise investment.
  • ArkansasHoney
    Options
    I love my food scale. It weighs in grams and ounces/pounds. I can also sit a container on it and hit a button marked "Tare" and it zeros out the scale so that I can tell exactly how much food I am measuring.

My digital scale is a ChefMate but I noticed that Kitrics has one just like it on Amazon.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Kitrics-Digital-Nutrition-Scale-Silver/dp/B000U67EI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343687003&sr=8-2&keywords=chefmate+Digital+food+scale
  • Redtango76
    Options
    Yup I'm definitely sold ! Thanks !
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Pro: it helped me learn I had been eyeballing way too high.

Con: I didn't spend a whole lot, and mine turns itself off after too short of a period of time. I'llbe in the midst of adding more food to the scale, trying to hit a certain mark, and it will shut itself off. This is aggravating. When I replace it, I'll spend more. (It's the $20 Walmart brand scale)
  • Redtango76
    Options
    Pro: it helped me learn I had been eyeballing way too high.

Con: I didn't spend a whole lot, and mine turns itself off after too short of a period of time. I'llbe in the midst of adding more food to the scale, trying to hit a certain mark, and it will shut itself off. This is aggravating. When I replace it, I'll spend more. (It's the $20 Walmart brand scale)

Ok good to know ..looks like a few people have been happy with their scales from amazon . I'm going to check there and review ratings.
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a Biggest Loser digital scale and love it. It measures grams or ounces/pounds. I helps me stay on track.
  • mercedproperty1617
    mercedproperty1617 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Food scales are great and can find them very cheap. GNC has some models for about $10 on sale rite now. But really dont need it. The food scale just takes out the guess work and fine tunes your diet more.
  • RyanR0320
    RyanR0320 Posts: 44
    Options
    Scales are great. Not just for portion control, but cooking in general. As a professional chef I use scales every day, both for my own personal dietary reasons, and cooking in general.

Its amazing how easy it is to over/underestimate things!
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I already had a digital food scale because I am a baker and prefer to weigh my ingredients. For dieting, I have found it to be an extremely useful tool, at least initially. I pay close attention to my protein macro so I know how many grams I'm getting per day. After a period of time, I'm hoping to be able to eyeball things a bit better.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have a Biggest Loser digital scale and love it. It measures grams or ounces/pounds. I helps me stay on track.

This. Got it from Walmart for ahh $20-25. Love it. I also love that I can weigh some things in grams and others in lbs&ounces.