Need help with alcohol :/

Options
Im just new to MFP and erythings going splendid so far, but being a univeristy student i do tend to have a few drinks with my friends in the weekend and i find that im bloated for days afterwards. I do know that alcohol makes you gain weight but does anyone know a drink or a way that makes you not gain as much weight? Im a bourbon girl to :)

Cheers

Replies

• EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My favorite drinks are Vodka w/juice and Long Island Teas......I have switched to Vodka/sparkling water.....not as good as juice....but easier to keep the cals down!
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I need help with alcohol too, I ran out. :(
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Wild Turkey!!!! Yummmmmmm!!!!
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Umm... no tricks. Just moderation. Try drinking water in between drinks. Yes, it will make you pee, but you will not retain as much water and it keeps you hydrated so the hang overs will be tolerable if not non existent the next day.

Oh... by the way, my husband is a beer man and he actually logs in his planned beer consumption in the morning so he can be sure to have the calories available for it in the evening!! Hahaha!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Dang you beat me!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

LOL you're funny.

And for alcohol. Stick with shots or zero calorie mixers. My go to drink is a vodka soda (64 calories) with a splash of cranberry and a lime! Or just straight shots lol 64 calories on vodka....
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    i think alternating is a great idea - I usually have plain soda water between drinks so I only drink half as much over the evening - and it is fizzy and if you have it in a glass with ice and lemon and a straw it looks like a mixed drink so you may get less flack from your buddies about not drinking.. It has no cals, but does have sodium, so if you are concerned about sodium you should probably log it.

Alternatively you could offer to be the designated driver - then you are motivated to stay alcohol free for the evening.
  • _smile
    _smile Posts: 12
    Options
    My favorite drinks are Vodka w/juice and Long Island Teas......I have switched to Vodka/sparkling water.....not as good as juice....but easier to keep the cals down!

Thanks for that, il try it :)
  • _smile
    Options

hahaaha bro your crack up :) lets be friends!
  • _smile
    Options
    Umm... no tricks. Just moderation. Try drinking water in between drinks. Yes, it will make you pee, but you will not retain as much water and it keeps you hydrated so the hang overs will be tolerable if not non existent the next day.

Oh... by the way, my husband is a beer man and he actually logs in his planned beer consumption in the morning so he can be sure to have the calories available for it in the evening!! Hahaha!

Cool thanks for that i will definatly be trying that one :) and tell your husband hes a genius!
  • _smile
    Options
    i think alternating is a great idea - I usually have plain soda water between drinks so I only drink half as much over the evening - and it is fizzy and if you have it in a glass with ice and lemon and a straw it looks like a mixed drink so you may get less flack from your buddies about not drinking.. It has no cals, but does have sodium, so if you are concerned about sodium you should probably log it.

Alternatively you could offer to be the designated driver - then you are motivated to stay alcohol free for the evening.

Thats a great idea :) il try that one too, thanks.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do NEVER drink a sour amaretto...that used to be my favorite then I entered it in my food diary one night...never again lol.
  • _smile
    Options
  • dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options

this!!
  • _smile
    Options
    Whatever you do NEVER drink a sour amaretto...that used to be my favorite then I entered it in my food diary one night...never again lol.

A sour amaretto? sorry i have no idea what this is..
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options

this!!
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Strictly diet sodas as mixers with your bourbon :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I haven't built up an alcohol tolerance, which means I can get a buzz off a couple drinks if you're talking liquor. One if on an empty stomach. I may be a lightweight, but I save calories and $$$ haha
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the easiest low cal drink is diet mixers with spirits. I was drinking either vodka or malibu with diet coke on Saturday with each drink being around about 60 calories.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    check this out http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
    Basically you eat few carbs and fats, as much protein as you want and try to stick to alcohol that is low in carbs