Abilify and Weight Gain anyone?

Options
My doc recently put me on Abilify and I think it's affecting my weight loss.......She said this could be a side effect. Anyone else?

Replies

• Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I personally, don't like abilify. I couldn't sleep on it. Are you on it for Bi-Polar? I take Geodon and Lamictil/lamictal (sp) for Bi-polar and Zoloft for depression .The Zoloft has me feeling like I should be eating all the time.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    all mood stabilizers can affect your metabolism. they also can affect your hunger "turn off button." i'd say the best course of axn is to put yourself on a scheduled eating program with clear portion controls and calorie limits for your day. that way you eat when you're supposed to, stop when you're supposed to rather than listening to your body's signals which the medicine could be messing up. make sense?

plus, as with all psych meds, you really need 3-4 weeks to give your body time to adjust and react and determine if it's an effective medication for you.

hang in there. your mental health is supremely important and your physical goals will come into line. this is a marathon not a sprint...:heart:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    silver--the zoloft shouldn't have that side effect. the lamictal, however, can cause that feeling--like you can't get enuf--espec carbs. try to resist those messages and keep to measured portions and set eating times. try--and it's really hard to do--to reach for veges or fruits when the need to just eat strikes. i mean really, who ever got fat on plain carrots??? :laugh:
    be well, friend. :flowerforyou:
  • LadyV
    LadyV Posts: 21
    Options
    One of my sons was on that and he gained a lot of weight in a very short period of time. Don't like that med!
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    I didn't start feeling like I should eat all the time until I started the Zoloft. Which is supposed to cause DECREASED appetite. Today is day 4 of the Lamictal. It didn't say anything about having an affect on hunger in the side effects portion of the leaflet.
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    I hate it...I think I'm going to ask my doc to switch me. Plus it costs $90 with my co-pay! I'm not willing to pay that for a med that will make me gain weight & doesn't work anyway.
    Thanks ladies! :heart:
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    Seoid, that sounds like a good idea. 1. because it makes you gain weight 2. if it's not working it's not working, you can't make it work just because you want it to work.
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    thanks silver! :heart:
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    Seoid, I just found out that my geodon isn't working for my bi-polar, because apparently I can't be depressed and have the geodon work at the same time. I just found this out wednesday. Today I feel pretty good. I took my Limactil and zoloft this morning and I"ll take my geodon tonight and see if it helps me sleep. I'm not sure I'm gonna work out today, I think I'll save that for tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll do it every other day, like I was before when I was losing 2 lbs a week. If I can just get over my craving for carbs, the tea is really helping. I'm hoping the dehydrating capabilities of tea will help get rid of some of my water weight...Probably won't. But owell. I've gained 2 lbs in fluid weight in the last 1 1/2. I wish you luck on finding a medication to work for you. I know how hard it is to find medication that works for you with the least amount of side effects.
  • ♥seoid♥
    Options
    thanks. it's very difficult. i'm on lamictal and effexor. also ativan when needed & sleeping pill at night. i feel like a druggie sometimes! :bigsmile: