Best podcasts/audiobooks to listen to when exercising?

Options
I find it easier to keep running when i zone out a bit and stop thinking about how much time i have left of my run etc. So I'm thinking listening to a podcast or audio-book would be good but have no idea what to get! Can anyone recommend something?
Thanks!

Replies

• sassyhobbsy
    sassyhobbsy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This totally depends on your taste and preferences. However, if you have an iPhone, one app I strongly recommend is called Instacast. It has hundreds of free podcasts and audiobooks to listen to, I love it. I don't remember if it costs initially to buy the app, if so I can't see it being more than $5, and I know for sure that there is no monthly fee. Most audiobooks cost $20-$30 on iTunes. I am not sure if the app is on other smart phones, but if you have one, you should check. It's awesome.

If you don't have a smart phone, but you do have some type of mp3 player, check your library. My library here in Dallas has a digital library online where we can check out audiobooks digitally. We just load it on our mp3 player (iPhone for me) and go!

I hate spending money on audiobooks because I know I'm only going to listen to them once, so freebies are the way to go for me! Hope this helps!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    my library partners with overdrive and therefore has a large stock of online titles available. what you listen to is largely your preference - I've gone through things from Harry Potter, Anita Blake, to Jane Eyre, and nonfiction such as Dog Sense or cesar millan.
    As long as you're not ready to pull out your earphones and chuck them to the side of the road, it will work ;-)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have the overdrive app on my iphone, so I get my books from the libary.

I get my podcasts from itunes, but I hear podcastalley.com is good as well.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    my library partners with overdrive and therefore has a large stock of online titles available. what you listen to is largely your preference - I've gone through things from Harry Potter, Anita Blake, to Jane Eyre, and nonfiction such as Dog Sense or cesar millan.
    As long as you're not ready to pull out your earphones and chuck them to the side of the road, it will work ;-)

I second the library recommendation. Audiobooks are really expensive and I have found the library to be the best place to grab free books and load them onto my ipod. Right now I am listening to Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen on my runs and that is an excellent book so far.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Listen to Fat2Fit Radio (podcast), learn more about weightloss/fitness whilst actuall doing it!