When lifting free weights, no calories burned. Why?

I just started working out with light free weights. I typed in the number of sets, repetitions, and how heavy the weights were that I was working out with. My time spent was 28 minutes. After I entered my numbers, I noticed that no calculation of calories burned came up. Is there no credit given for strength training or did I do something wrong? Any comments or help would be really appreciated! Thank You.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I noticed that too. Don't have an answer for it. It must be the way MFP is set up. One thing you can do is use an HRM and add the calories burned to your cardio area.
  • NewBeginnings0148
    NewBeginnings0148 Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks for your reply. Hate to sound dumb, but what is an HRM?
  • You have to log it in the cardio section as strength training to get a calorie burn.
  • NewBeginnings0148
    Thank you so much I will do that. I appreciate your taking the time to help. Have a great day!
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    You have to log it in the cardio section as strength training to get a calorie burn.

^^^This. Search for "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" in the cardio section. If HRM's (Heart Rate Monitor) are not very good at being accurate for weight training. If you go to a site like this one http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc you can get in the ballpark. I tend to go lower than what they claim. It's really based on how intense you are as to how many cals you truly burn. Good luck.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Thanks for your reply. Hate to sound dumb, but what is an HRM?

HRM: Heart rate monitor - they track your heart rate and give you calories burned. good for exercises that are not tracked like cardio or with a pedometer.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    HRM is a Heart Rate Moniter. You don't sound dumb there are a lot of abbreviations used on the boards. You won't know what they are unless you ask:)

Btw, I love my HRM. Polar Ft7 is what I have.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    HRM = Heart Rate Monitor, but that's not going to give you an accurate calorie count for strength training unless you're doing a cardio circuit of some sort (low weight, high rep, no rest).

One way to estimate calories outside MFP and w/out an HRM is the Compendium of Physical Activities. I've created a Google Docs spreadsheet to help calculate calorie estimates based on gender, height, and weight

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al5RZKHzjd6wdG5pTWVVNXV6MnZMZVVlQUNSenFDWkE

If you want to use it, just save a copy for yourself (you'll need a Google account).

Then you can plug in your height & weight (by gender) on the third worksheet/tab (at the bottom), then the 2nd worksheet will calculate your BMR & BMI, and the 1st worksheet will give you calories burned / hour estimates for a variety of activities.
  • NewBeginnings0148
    Hey Everyone-thank you so much for all of your advice and support. This is exactly why I'm so grateful and appreciate that I have found MFP and am a part of it! By the way I do know what a heart rate monitor is, for some reason the abbreviation just didn't register with me this morning. I'll chalk it up to Monday morning.:flowerforyou:
  • brunagota
    brunagota Posts: 38
    wow thanks that is so usefull
    I love it!
    thanks for doing that!