help gianed during first week

Options
finally went a whole week exersizing on a routine and i gained 5 pounds total is this because of fat turning to muscle or what either way it put me from healthy wieght range to overwieght i am so mad please someone tell me if this is what this means or what is going on

Replies

• kayrock
    Options
    I understand your frustration. The first thing I have to tell you is step away from the scale. The constant monitoring of your weight will drive you crazy. One day you're heavier, the next day your lighter and then of course there will be the days you see no change in your weight. It's enough to make you lose your mind. I look at it a different way. I don't go by the scale, I go by the way my clothes fit. When you begin to lose inches, your clothes become looser. Everyone loses weight in a different way. It takes women longer to lose weight than it does for men. It's not fair, but it is the truth.

The second I want to ask you is what kind of exercise are you doing. Are you lifting weights, doing cardio or a combination of both? How long are you working out each day?

And last but not least, the most important thing - did you change your eating habits? Are you eating enough? How many meals are you eating each day? Are you eating the right kinds of food? I know when I first started working out, I justified eating what I wanted by saying I worked out and I burned enough calories to eat it. Until I started really eating healthy and skipping some of my favorite things (coke) I only saw marginal results. Diet plays a hugh part.

DON'T GIVE UP! Sometimes it takes our bodies a little longer to adjust to working out before we start to see results. It's a work in progress.

Hope that helps

Karen
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    finally went a whole week exersizing on a routine and i gained 5 pounds total is this because of fat turning to muscle or what either way it put me from healthy wieght range to overwieght i am so mad please someone tell me if this is what this means or what is going on

Also remember that fat doesn't turn into muscle! Muscle per square inch weighs more then fat.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Anybody can be up 5 pounds on any given day due to normal fluctuations in your body. It takes more than a week to see if something is working- give it a month, and I'm sure you'll see some results. You didn't gain 5 pounds of fat in one week, and you didn't gain 5 pounds of muscle. It's more than likely fluid weight, which is temporary.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Could be water retention if you got a lot of sodium. Could be that time of the month. Did you input your meals before you ate them? That way you are more likely to eat the right calorie amount. Hard to think you gained 5 lb of muscle in 1 week.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    the couple of people that posted about staying away from the scale i just wanted to let you know that was the first time i wieghed myself in 2 weeks itsjust that the week before that i only did 3 days of cardio cause i missed a couple of workouts i thought 2 weeks was a pretty long wate