Pizza!

DanaDark
DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you guys have made your own home made pizza in a healthy, low sodium way.

If so, mind sharing some recipes?

Replies

• Someone posted this the other day, I saved it. Enjoy.

1 head of cauliflower, washed, dried, de-stemmed and leafed.
    1 cup fat free mozzarella cheese
    1 large egg (sub 2 egg whites – I think?)
    Pizza spices of your choice (I used a ton of garlic, crushed red pepper, and oregano.)
    Grated Parmesan cheese (I use Publix brand, wedge cheese that I grate at home)
    Any toppings you might like. (If you are following the 17 DD then just use veggies that are approved on the Cycle 1 list.)

What you’ll need to do:
    Rice your cauliflower – which you can do by either pulsing in a food processor for a few seconds until the veggie looks like rice, or you can do by hand with a cheese grater. Beat the egg, add to 2 cups of the cauliflower (store the leftover to make as “rice” later!) and the cup of mozzarella cheese. Mix well. Preheat oven to 450, and line a baking pan or pizza stone with parchment paper. Dump the mixture onto the paper, form into a circle about 1/8 inch thick and pack together well – use your fingers to get the edges smooth and compact. Season liberally with your desired pizza seasonings. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until your crust is evenly browned and can easily be lifted with a spatula. Remove from the oven and top with your favorite toppings, return and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. I topped mine with spinach, thin sliced tomato, and thin sliced onions – and I was pretty heavy handed with the grated Parmesan… But, I love the cheese! After it was done, I let it sit on the stone for about 5 minutes, just to give it a chance to set a bit more. Then I sprinkled with MORE garlic and crushed red pepper – just like I would in the pizza parlor… And I enjoyed. :) Which I hope you do too.
    -Lindsy

All credit to Lindsy.
  • Angebartle
    Angebartle Posts: 10 Member
    I haven't tried this one yet but it looks yummy. For the main pizza "crust" they used sweet potatos! They just baked them (about an hour) cut them like potato skins and smashed down the filling and then topped it with pizza sauce and all the fixings they wanted. I'm trying it the weekend see how it goes.

If I want a quick pizza fix I use either low sodium naan bread or pita bread for my crust and use a low sodium pasta sauce (I can never seem to find a low sodium pizza sauce). Takes about 10 mins to make up and pop in the oven till golden brown.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will try out both sometime this week!

If I can squeeze in kitchen time!
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Not homemade but I like this one: Tombstone pepperoni pizza I think it is 16 in size. You get l/4 of the pizza and it is 360 calories, which is two slices. Not as good as a homemade one would be, but it is easy to pop into the oven. No cooking involved.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    My wife and I were on the hunt to find a low sodium frozen pizza last night and we ended up in the hippie (whole foods) section of the grocery store and she found a Wild Harvest Organic pizza that wasn't too bad. If you look in my diary you will see what half the pizza had in it. Plus I sauteed up a handfull of veggies for a side dish. It was delicious and not too bad on sodium..

My wife can't have much sodium at all. It trigers migrains so we scour the grocery stores looking for the lowest sodium items we can find.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    I found this one on allrecipes.com awhile back. I really like it, calls for tsp of salt but I dont' put it in.

Wheat Pizza crust with honey

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    2 cups whole wheat flour1/4 cup wheat germ
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon honey

Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
    3.In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for a few minutes.
    4.Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork.
    5.Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.
    Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Dough
    Servings Per Recipe: 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 83

Total Fat: 0.6g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 195mg
    Total Carbs: 17.4g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.9g
    Protein: 3.5g
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    I use a tortilla wrap as a base and top with whatever I fancy/that's in the fridge!!

I'll put the wrap on a baking tray and 'toast' it a little in the oven before adding the toppings...tomato puree with a little water and dried herbs makes a good sauce...then pop the topped pizza back in the oven until the cheese has melted.

eta - you'll only be able to add pre-cooked meats but so long as the veggies are small enough pieces they cook well enough :-))