Protein Shake Help!

Options
kmard81
kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
I have never done protein shakes but want to start mainly for a post-workout snack. I am thinking of getting the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey in chocolate (duh!). How do you make them? Do you add milk, is soy or almond milk better? Do you add fruit?? Help!

Replies

• LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    No idea flower but I'll be watching the replies as I want to start having one after my weights to, to help with mucsle repair.

Lisa x
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I get a blender bottle, throw in a scoop of double rich chocolate, two cups of silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk and shake it up. Quick, easy and tastes good. REALLY filling, too.

I know a lot of people have really awesome recipes for their shakes though.. but post-workout I'm too tired to consider anything complex! :tongue:
  • lauralprince
    lauralprince Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about Shakeology? It is a great after workout shake!
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I make my protein powder with milk and ice and it tastes more like a milkshake :) i use Bio-Synergy skinny vanilla powder which tastes delicious and i also use PHD vanilla creme powder which tastes so so so yummy and creamy!!
  • kmard81
    Options
    Have you thought about Shakeology? It is a great after workout shake!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Whey Protein powder. I like the chocolate and vanilla. I usually just mix it with water. But I used to use Almond milk and berries. For a treat I would add Peanut butter, nutella, or instant cofee YUMMMMM
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I use the Gold Standard Whey in Chocolate, I just mix it with water and it is really good and it keeps the calories down that way.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I use Optimum Whey Protein powder. I like the chocolate and vanilla. I usually just mix it with water. But I used to use Almond milk and berries. For a treat I would add Peanut butter, nutella, or instant cofee YUMMMMM

^^ this girl knows what she's talking about :)
  • leenie96
    leenie96 Posts: 65
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk all the way, I prefer the Almond Breeze brand, only 40 cals(soy milk has tons of sugar)

One of my favorite recipes:

1 scoop of protein powder
    banana
    one cup almond milk
    1 tbsp of almond butter
    a bit of local honey
    cinnamon

soooo delicious, sometimes I drink it as a dessert!
  • TheLittleKittie
    Options
    I use maximuscle strawberry promax shake. I make it using semi skimmed milk (250ml) with spoon peanut butte and cup of ice. Whizzed up .

Sometimes I use banana to replace the milk and use 250ml water.

Sometimes I throw in cup of oats and fruit, making up the fluid with water and ice.

Mmmmm
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Whey Protein powder with water or 8oz milk if you have the calories and fat available in your diet
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just fill my personal bender with some ice - add some water - add one scoop chocolate and blend. Its like a chocolate shake. If you have calories to add you can add milk, almond milk, or whatever you like, it will give it more body.

I also do fruit ones with vanilla -- just add some frozen fruit instead of ice and water and one scoop of vanilla and blend. One of my favorites in the morning is OJ - I only add 6 to 8 oz of OJ, ice, fill the rest with water and one scoop of vanilla and blend. Yum!

If you like coffee, buy a small jar of regular old instant coffee - make your chocolate one and add a teaspoon of instant coffee - beter than starbucks.

I accidently got non-flavored Isolate Whey protein which I realized had no sugar in it -- but it was lower in calories and higher in protein so I just added a few drops of stevia to sweeten and it was just as good!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I made my first attempt at a protein shake this morning and it was pretty awesome. My diary is open so you should be able to see the recipe, but it was - 1.5 cups organic 2% milk, 1 scoop Six Star Whey Protein Vanilla Creme, 2 TBS peanut butter, 1 serving of Chobani Honey Greek Yogurt, 1 medium banana.

I'll drop down to 1 cup of milk for the next attempt and maybe add some oats or a fiber mix.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    On my weight days I actually have shakes as breakfast and post workout recovery. I like the added protein but not the bulk of a standard meal.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Honestly it took me a while to find a protein shake that i could "tolerate". Here's my mix:

3 oz V8 Fusion - Strawberry Banana
    I like thick shakes so i use 1 cup of frozen sliced strawberries
    1 scoop of protein powder.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If you like coffee, buy a small jar of regular old instant coffee - make your chocolate one and add a teaspoon of instant coffee - beter than starbucks.

This is genius!
  • kmard81
    Options

This is genius!

agreed :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Do anything. Whatever you like. I actually tend to mix my protein powder with an egg, slice up some avocado rings, and poor the mixture in the frying pan and top with peanut butter. Flip. Tastes like pancakes
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have never done protein shakes but want to start mainly for a post-workout snack. I am thinking of getting the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey in chocolate (duh!). How do you make them? Do you add milk, is soy or almond milk better? Do you add fruit?? Help!

you can use water or milk (milk is nicer) or almond milk or whatever and just stir or shake :D
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I usually do my protein powder with almond milk, a little bit of plain Greek yogurt, and some chia seeds. Depending on how many calories I have that day, and the kind of protein powder, I would add other, complimentary things.

Additions to chocolate protein powder would be things like raspberries and oranges, or peppermint extract (or schnapps), or coffee. Additions to vanilla would be any strongly flavored fruit (banana, mango, pineapple), because vanilla protein powder is GROSS.