A new lifestyle indeed!!

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I just had a realization. I have been doing this and keeping it up for TWO years now.

I started my journey on September 6, 2007 at 270 lbs. I got through the holidays of that year unscathed and kept it up. I also got through the holidays of last year and kept it up. Add to that Super Bowl Sundays, girls nights out, birthdays (including cake) and BBQ's. And still lost 135 lb in 16 months.

And to be quite frank, this year has been one of joy and hope but also one of stress, uncertainty and sadness as well. I hit my goal weight in January...the same week I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd child. And then in June, I asked for a separation from my husband. Things were at a bit of a standstill for a bit there due to the pregnancy...but divorce proceedings are now underway again.

My point in being so honest here..is that despite everything(what I call life getting in the way), I didn't return to my old habits. I have kept up my new lifestyle...as though I have been doing it forever. It's like the years of yo-yo dieting and being miserably overweight never existed, even though the photos exist to prove it!

I kept up my healthy living through pregnancy. Wow! I didn't use it as an excuse to eat more than I needed.

I guess we all have our "wow" moment from time to time. I was never confident that I could keep this up in the past. This time is different. While I am not PERFECT 100% of the time, my way of thinking is so different that being less than perfect is OK....and I have trust in the fact that I won't let myself down again.

I just want everyone to know that truly changing your lifestyle is VERY possible. No need to be afraid or doubt yourself. You know you can do this...and I know you can do this. Just keep on, keepin on!! You may not be perfect 100% of the time....but just trust yourself to do this..and you'll be OK. The bigger picture is the important thing. You may lose a battle here and there...but you will still come out victorious in this war!! :wink:

:heart:

Replies

• Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration. Not only because of the weight you've lost (although, wow! :noway: ) but also because you are a strong empowered woman! Congratulations and thank you for the motivation!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,005 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Tam,
    Thank you for sharing this. You are so right that it is possible to create a new lifestyle and stay in it no matter what. Too many people blame life's circumstances for returning to old destructive behaviors. i am so sorry to hear about the end of your marriage but I believe that there are better chapters still to come. Never, never, never give up.

You have inspired me since I started MFP and I am further inspired to know that you are continuing with healthy behavior. Thank you for all you have added to my life.
    Barbie
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I wish you well with your life changes Tam, hang in there, better things are coming!! :flowerforyou:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for uplifting us! :flowerforyou:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! It is so great to hear of such a success, you have done an amazing job through all the trials and stresses this year and a new baby to boot - WOW. So nice you can enjoy your healthy life with your two sons and be a great example to them of a strong, empowered woman.
  • ckholmes
    ckholmes Posts: 123
    Options
    Wow, You are Tamtastic! :) Your motivaton to keep so strong through all that has gone on is absolutely incredible. Staying on top of your lifestyle changes and not giving up is powerful and youve done it to goal. You have inspired me to push and not give up, you kind of gave me a different look at the journey
    I need to make, I need to lose 115 lbs after gaining it all in one year of intense nursing school , I just feel my energy is so in the dumps I have hard time to keep motivated .

You have done a great job! Congratulations
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Tam,
    Thank you for sharing this. You are so right that it is possible to create a new lifestyle and stay in it no matter what. Too many people blame life's circumstances for returning to old destructive behaviors. i am so sorry to hear about the end of your marriage but I believe that there are better chapters still to come. Never, never, never give up.

You have inspired me since I started MFP and I am further inspired to know that you are continuing with healthy behavior. Thank you for all you have added to my life.
    Barbie
    :flowerforyou:
    ditto!
    You have helped me so much. You & the others here who have changed to healthier lifestyles really are so inspirational to the rest of us.
    I wish you all the love & luck in the world as you continue to grow & be stronger.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thank you all for the great responses. I love hearing that my success has inspired you and I hope it continues to.

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Tami, my friend, you were my thinspiration. Tamtastic is the perfect handle for you!!

When I started here and ran my numbers they said I needed to lose 50 pounds:noway:
    I mean, I knew I was overweight, but that number slapped me in the face. I thought, "No way, no way I can lose that much weight"

Then I read your profile. At that time you had lost 98 or so pounds. I thought WOW if this girl can lose almost 100 pounds, without pills, gimmicks or surgery, I can certainly lose 30-40 pounds!!

And so it began.........our friendship and my new lifestyle.

Thank you for inspiring others to DO...........not just think but to DO!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Tami, my friend, you were my thinspiration. Tamtastic is the perfect handle for you!!

When I started here and ran my numbers they said I needed to lose 50 pounds:noway:
    I mean, I knew I was overweight, but that number slapped me in the face. I thought, "No way, no way I can lose that much weight"

Then I read your profile. At that time you had lost 98 or so pounds. I thought WOW if this girl can lose almost 100 pounds, without pills, gimmicks or surgery, I can certainly lose 30-40 pounds!!

And so it began.........our friendship and my new lifestyle.

Thank you for inspiring others to DO...........not just think but to DO!!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
    Thanks sweetie!

You have done such an amazing job. I am so proud of you!! :flowerforyou:

:heart:
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Tam,

I love to see you post! It always reminds me that no matter what has happened in the past year, month, week or even day, I can straighten my back and do what needs to be done to get back on track. You've done so much for so many here just by sharing.

Thank you. I hope you have everything you wish for and more. :)
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration to so many Tam!!! Thank you for being here!!! This last year has had its ups and downs for me...the sleep deprivation and hormone fluctuations have taken there tole on me, but I still come here to remind myself, that when I am ready I will again reach great success! I've set another goal for myself, by Christmas I will reach my goal weight and the baby will sleep through the night, right!!!:laugh: Keep being a strong and powerful inspiration!!!
  • mindi_lou
    mindi_lou Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tam~ You are a great inspiration and motivator for me. Congrats on being able to keep it up during trying times. Keep up the great work! You look great!
  • threeupthreedown
    Options
    I applaud YOU.
    YOU are totally awesome!!!
    What you have been through has made you the person you are today.
    Congratulations on your weight loss.
    YOU inspire ME!!!
    God bless.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Tam,

I love to see you post! It always reminds me that no matter what has happened in the past year, month, week or even day, I can straighten my back and do what needs to be done to get back on track. You've done so much for so many here just by sharing.

Thank you. I hope you have everything you wish for and more. :)
    Thanks for that! I hope I can help people to know that despite everything going on in their lives, that staying on track is very possible. It's just about making it as much of a priority and "habit" as anything else. :wink:

• TamTastic
    Options
    You are an inspiration to so many Tam!!! Thank you for being here!!! This last year has had its ups and downs for me...the sleep deprivation and hormone fluctuations have taken there tole on me, but I still come here to remind myself, that when I am ready I will again reach great success! I've set another goal for myself, by Christmas I will reach my goal weight and the baby will sleep through the night, right!!!:laugh: Keep being a strong and powerful inspiration!!!
    Hey you!

I hear you on the sleep deprivation!! haha...it's tough!

This site is great for keeping on track..and just give yourself mini goals. Thinking of the end result can be a bit daunting..so just focus on smaller, more reachable goals and before you know it..those smaller "losses" add up! :happy:

Take care! :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Tam~ You are a great inspiration and motivator for me. Congrats on being able to keep it up during trying times. Keep up the great work! You look great!
    Thank you! Best of luck in reaching your goals! :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I applaud YOU.
    YOU are totally awesome!!!
    What you have been through has made you the person you are today.
    Congratulations on your weight loss.
    YOU inspire ME!!!
    God bless.
    Wow! Thank you for that. :happy:

You are right..everything that happens to us is what makes us tick. I guess the important thing is to look at all of it (especially the bad) as a test and as a source of wisdom for the future.

Best of luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks for sharing your message! It's very inspiring to see you've been here for over two years... it truly is a lifestyle change. Congrats on your weight loss, but even more impressive is your courage and resolve. You are a very strong woman! You have very much to be proud of.
    Kathy
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Tam,

Thank you so much for sharing this great story. You are an inspiration to me. I have been struggling for over a week to eat healthy, my computer went down and I had to wait on the phone company to send me the Modem box that I needed to get it up and running again, I did horrible, but I know that I can do this and I am getting right back on it. Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you for always being so positive.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!