Training a Friend

Options
A good friend of mine has asked me to help her lose weight. She saw the results that I achieved through running and watching my diet, and has asked for my help.

I promised not to let her die (she has always joked that she doesn't run because she has a fear of dying LOL), if she promised that she wouldn't give up after the first week. She is coming over tonight and we're going to look at the app together and she has asked me to do measurements for her. I'm so excited to share what I've learned with her! Our first run is tomorrow.

I'm so honored that she wants my help, but also a little nervous. Any tips for me? I don't want her to get upset with me for trying to push her to hard, and I also don't want to not push her because I'm afraid of her getting upset with me.

Replies

• nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Just try to remember what it felt like when you first started. I'm sure she is probably nervous, intimidated, etc. Then, also remember depending on her fitness level she won't be able to do what you can do. So, if you are walking or running know that what you think is going slow or easy might be a major effort for her. Just take it easy and remember to encourage her, but not too much b/c that can be just as annoying:smile:
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - I remember just starting out. And I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone. I just did it on my own, and didn't have the luxury of a friend doing it with me (at least not a real friend in the flesh - I had lots of MFP peeps here for support). It will be great - I just don't want to fail her.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My trainer is my best friend as well. When he started training me I was 286 lbs hadn't ran in years, a smoker, and a heavy drinker. He saved my life! I don't drink or smoke now, I'm 208 lbs. working out is literally my favorite thing to do. And the biggest thing is that I no longer have hipertension. If I had kept going the way I was I would've been lucky to make it to 40. And I'm only 25. It has been a huge help to have someone to both kick my butt and encourage me. He taught me how to lift in march and I haven't looked back!!!! I still do cardio on my rest days from lifting, but I have found something I love!!! He lifts with me 3-4 times a week and I do cardio on my own, it starting to become more of gym buddies than trainer and trainee now that I am improving so well. Sometimes I even show him a new workout I saw.