Hair and Working Out

Options
Ok, this question is strictly for the women.....I am in desparate need of some hair maintenance ideas in terms of working out. Currently when I work out I sweat in my head really bad so the hair is hit by the time I am done, getting ready for work is a challenge and it discourages me from doing it. I want to be more fit and exercise regularly anyone out there with advice or hair ideas that worked for them would be great! (this is an embarrasing question I must say!) Hopefully the women understand.

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I'm a headband girl... it helps soak up some of the sweat and keeps the hair out of your face.... it looks like you have curly hair... I have wavy/curly hair so I never really have to do anything to it accept put leave in conditioner spray in, have you tried that? Even if you don't have time to wash your hair completely its ok not to, just try and rinse off the roots and such and wash it later after work... hope this helped!

~Leash :heart:
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This may sound not to appealing but I find it works. At Sally's beauty supply they sell something called dry shampoo. It comes in a can & you spray it on your hair wherever it is oily. You can spray it just on your roots & comb or brush your hair. This great if you are in a rush.

Gina
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound completely gross... more than likely... But I have really really thick hair. So, I sweat quite a bit, but it takes me way too long to shower and then dry my hair. I will sometimes pack a small blow drier in my bag when I go to the gym and then blow dry the sweat out of my hair. Disgusting, I know.. But I have actually found that my hair wasn't that greasy. In fact the moisture from my sweat helped from my scalp not drying out. I would usually shower at nights and then do that in the mornings. Sorry if it disgusts ya'll...but thats how I had to do it, and no one ever noticed!! And I promise I never smelled funky.
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    Ugh I totally know what you mean... After exercising my hair is soaked :grumble:

I would agree with kicklikeaGIRL's suggestion... Maybe bring a small hair straightener too if blow-drying gives your hair frizz (it does to mine >.<).
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. :ohwell:
    My hair is short & I sweat so much it drips about 20 minutes into a workout. It's disgusting. I nearly have to put a towel under me to catch the dripping sweat so the carpet doesn't stink. :grumble:
    Nasty.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • mscocoa30
    mscocoa30 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It is ridiculous how much I sweat when I am working out. Sometimes my hair is dripping wet. LOL Anyway, I use a dry shampoo. I have natural thick, curly African-American hair, so working out and my hair getting wet is really challenging. Lately, I've been using the dry shampoo (can't think of the name of it) and something called Smooth Shine Polishing. The dry shampoo helps keep my hair fresh and clean between shampoos and the Smooth Shine stuff keeps it moisturized so that it doesn't get all dry and brittle. Works for me.
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    This is going to sound completely gross... more than likely... But I have really really thick hair. So, I sweat quite a bit, but it takes me way too long to shower and then dry my hair. I will sometimes pack a small blow drier in my bag when I go to the gym and then blow dry the sweat out of my hair. Disgusting, I know.. But I have actually found that my hair wasn't that greasy. In fact the moisture from my sweat helped from my scalp not drying out. I would usually shower at nights and then do that in the mornings. Sorry if it disgusts ya'll...but thats how I had to do it, and no one ever noticed!! And I promise I never smelled funky.

This isn't a bad idea. the thing is we don't have scent glands up there! So the sweat that comes out of our pores up there is just water, it's not the smelly stuff under our arms or worse... BOOB SWEAT.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I have fine hair. I try to save my workouts for nights. I put my hair in a top pony and use a headband - it soaks up all the sweat. I try not to put heat on my hair at all. I let my air dry and when it is dry I wrap it so it will be straight again or either I comb it out when wet so it will dry straight. I've had no breakage doing this. I wash my hair every 2 weeks. Tuesday when I got my touchup, she said my hair is extremely healthy and it was fine not to wash it often (she washes hers every two weeks) . Washing it daily and using heat can cause breakage.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I sweat soo much that I refuse to leave the gym w/out showering. My hair is thick & curly so showering w/out washing hair is not possible. And I can't blow dry my hair w/out also straightening it--at least an hour to do this b/c my hair is also long. So when I workout my hair goes in a bun. After showering I put on de-frizz stuff, make a side-part and then twist it up & hold it with a clip so the ends hang down. Not the most fashionable look but I work with kids so hair being out of my face is a plus. If you look at the pics on my profile you can see my hairstyle...or lack thereof.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym after work, so I shower when I get home at night. Thats it, I wash my hair. lol sorry! good luck
  • nfreeman08
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses, I think I will get the dry shampoo and try the hair up in top pony while I work out... we shall see...
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    Try to put your hair in a pony tail, preferably a bun and wear a cotton material bandana. Like a scarf on your head. Being it's cotton it will soak up "some" of the sweat. Hope that helps a bit.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm not a really big sweater. But, I do bring a sweat rag just in case. Perhaps you can just wipe off the excess sweat off your forhead and such?
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    While I'm not proud of this fact, I have actually not worked out if I was facing an important event or function and needed my hair to look nice. I hate working out after leaving the hairdresser's because I know the next time my hair will look that nice is when I see her in 4 weeks! Nornally when I work out I put my hair up in a clip. If there's a ridge when I'm done - and there usually is - I run over it with my flattening iron.
  • Snuffle_Wuffle
    Options

I do the same but will spray a good leave in conditioner on it before I dry it. It seems to make me feel a little fresher.