Eat less, exercise more............

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
I have been thinking about all the weight loss gadgets, pills, gimmicks and books.

No fat
No carbs
Your blood type
Cortisone

The one thing they have in common is you need to eat better foods and exercise more.

Not ONE of them tell you to eat more food and lay on the couch.

Someone asked the other day how they could lose weight. Which of the diets is best........nothing works for them.

I am here to tell you I was one of them 1 and a half yrs ago. I was tired, weak, had no confidence.........I actually thought my life was over and I was not even 50 yrs old yet. I can't do it,I said, nothing works me.

Then I loaded my information into MFP and decided to try it.............for ONE week........that is all. I figured it would not work, because I was post menepausal, had an injury, never ran in my life, had kids living home, my husband doesnt support me, food is the only comfort I have, I cannot lift weights, I have no time, I work too hard, I am on the road and need to eat carry out, I cant drink water because I am driving and will have to use the bathroom all the time.......on and on and on the list went. I knew this would be yet another disappointment in my life.

Then the week was over. I ate my calories1400 + my exercise cals. Down 2 pounds:noway: Why?........How?............Amazing.

I then decided I could do 1 more week. And so it went. A week, a pound, a mile at a time.

On my 1st week I could lift 1 lb weights and walk to the corner.......seriously 1 block.....every other day I added a bit more walking......bought 2 lb weights and so forth.

Now I feel like I could do anything. In just over a yrs time I have changed my life. I know that sounds corney, but if 1 person reads this and thinks..........."Dang, if she can do it so can I!" Then it will be worth the effort of writing.

I Thank God that this year I am not sitting here, crying about what could have been, but celebrating what its.

MFP has been an intrical part of this process. The support on the boards, the friends I have made, the info you all have shared...........this IS the difference!!

You can DO this!!

:heart: Jeannie

Replies

• LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good morning Jeanie, I too have been on that roller coaster ride. I joined MFP in June of this year and have lost 42 lbs. (a few of those pounds I have lost twice) I have tried many diets, the "Rotation Diet" "Weight Watchers" "1200 calories a day" "The Rice Diet" and just not eating take out or fried (which is extremely hard when you are married to a man who wants to eat out at least 3 or more times a week and has a passion for fried chicken and big breakfast). I too lost weight , anywhere from 25 lbs. to the 42 I have lost this time. Like you said the difference is MFP. I have found that life is not about dieting per-se. As you say you need to make a life change. My life change is logging in what I eat and staying within my calories. I'm not perfect and have those days when I want to eat everything that is not nailed down. MFP keeps me honest, so to say. When that happens, I just exercise more.
    You say your calorie intake is 1400? My calories are set at 1200. Did I put something in wrong? How do they calculate your calorie intake? Is it the less you weigh the more calories you can have? I started out at 221 yours says 168. Just curious.:smile: Hope you have a wonderful Sunday, Rosemary
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Fantastic stories!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :smile: Good morning Jeanie, I too have been on that roller coaster ride. I joined MFP in June of this year and have lost 42 lbs. (a few of those pounds I have lost twice) I have tried many diets, the "Rotation Diet" "Weight Watchers" "1200 calories a day" "The Rice Diet" and just not eating take out or fried (which is extremely hard when you are married to a man who wants to eat out at least 3 or more times a week and has a passion for fried chicken and big breakfast). I too lost weight , anywhere from 25 lbs. to the 42 I have lost this time. Like you said the difference is MFP. I have found that life is not about dieting per-se. As you say you need to make a life change. My life change is logging in what I eat and staying within my calories. I'm not perfect and have those days when I want to eat everything that is not nailed down. MFP keeps me honest, so to say. When that happens, I just exercise more.
    You say your calorie intake is 1400? My calories are set at 1200. Did I put something in wrong? How do they calculate your calorie intake? Is it the less you weigh the more calories you can have? I started out at 221 yours says 168. Just curious.:smile: Hope you have a wonderful Sunday, Rosemary

I was referring to when I first started. I was 168 and set my weight loss goal to 1 pound a week. In the beginning I lost much more because my body was so happy to have real food!!

The less you weigh, the less you need to eat for nourishment. I am surprised your calories were 1200 at 221. Of course 1200 is the lowest anyone is supposed to eat per the AMA

I lost all 33 pound very slowly........for me this was the only way to ensure it was a change, not just a quick fix like in the past.

Congratulations on your 42 lbs loss! That is amazing, keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    People are funny.

"How much have you lost now?"

<<About 60>

"How did you do it?"

<<2000 calories a day, and 1/2 hour every morning on an elliptical machine. Plain old diet and exercise>>

And you can just see the disappointment. There's no easy way? Nope , there's no easy way.

Great job gang. :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    People are funny.

"How much have you lost now?"

<<About 60>

"How did you do it?"

<<2000 calories a day, and 1/2 hour every morning on an elliptical machine. Plain old diet and exercise>>

And you can just see the disappointment. There's no easy way? Nope , there's no easy way.

Great job gang. :bigsmile:

LOL........after about 6 months I was tired of hearing this.

One day a girl asked me how........I said , "Well I take broccoli and steam it........'

"OOOOOOOOh" she said, " I love broccoli, I can do this diet!!"

I then said " And I eat the brocolli instead of the potato chips!"

She was actually angry with me.........she thought I had found "THE" diet.

I told her I DID find the diet.......eat better, exercise more, don't eat a number 4 supersized, and you WILL lose weight too. Not only that but you will feel better, both physically and mentally.

Thank God I have been on maint. so long ppl have stopped commenting and asking. I lose about 1/2 lb a month in the process.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing pals ! Hope your day is a peaceful one!!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Oh am I relieved. When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be on of those " I am going to eat 12 carrot sticks and exercise 5 hours a day" threads. :wink:
  • NWas2Fat2Fit
    NWas2Fat2Fit Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I'm not Jeanie but I joined Yesterday and they also have me a 1200 calories a day. My weight is 199 and I picked Iwanted to lose 1 1/2 a week and picked the lowest activity level (job sitting down) :laugh: Think that is one of the main reasons it is so low. The great thing is when you enter your exercise with how many calories you burned you can eat more. :drinker: They up your calories for that day. Makes me want to exercise every day so I can eat more. I picked 5x a week 30 minutes.

Norma
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Oh am I relieved. When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be on of those " I am going to eat 12 carrot sticks and exercise 5 hours a day" threads. :wink:

:angry: I ate thirTEEN carrots

:laugh:
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

I'm so proud of you! 1 extra carrot has to have at least 2 calories..:tongue:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

But then I ran another 10 miles.......does that count??:laugh:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I have a similar story - eat less, exercise more. When people who haven't seen me in ages see me, they ask what diet and I say "Weight Watchers" and mention MFP, as well.

The old fashioned way, just like my doctor said "eat less, exercise more." I started on MFP at about 183 pounds and am now down to 154. When I started to try to lose weight before MFP, I was at 196. As of today, I need to lose at least 10 more to be at the top of my weight range. It's not easy - feels like I'm staying the same forever!!

But I'm toned, at least! :wink:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options

:bigsmile:
    Oh dear, I really like celery better.
    :wink:
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    Thanks for the post Jeannie!
    :heart: :smooched:
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    But then I ran another 10 miles.......does that count??:laugh:

10 miles? You should have another carrot stick. 1 carrot stick for every 5 miles. It's the rule of thumb. For our celery stick friends, it's 2 celery sticks for every 5 miles. We have to be smart here people. :tongue: :wink:
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    I weigh myself "monthly" :happy:

10/15/2009 169.4
    09/16/2009 172.8
    08/13/2009 171.8
    07/15/2009 177.5
    06/11/2009 177.0
    05/14/2009 180.5
    04/15/2009 182.0
    02/02/2009 186.5
    01/03/2009 189.0 :noway:

I have LOST 20 pounds. Accoridng to my height/weight chart for 5'8" woman should be:
    146-167 pounds. So my 2nd goal is to weigh 159 pounds BEFORE my birthday March 2010.

Blessings! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Eva
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post. I think I'll go run!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about all the weight loss gadgets, pills, gimmicks and books.

No fat
    No carbs
    Your blood type
    Cortisone

The one thing they have in common is you need to eat better foods and exercise more.

Not ONE of them tell you to eat more food and lay on the couch.

Someone asked the other day how they could lose weight. Which of the diets is best........nothing works for them.

I am here to tell you I was one of them 1 and a half yrs ago. I was tired, weak, had no confidence.........I actually thought my life was over and I was not even 50 yrs old yet. I can't do it,I said, nothing works me.

Then I loaded my information into MFP and decided to try it.............for ONE week........that is all. I figured it would not work, because I was post menepausal, had an injury, never ran in my life, had kids living home, my husband doesnt support me, food is the only comfort I have, I cannot lift weights, I have no time, I work too hard, I am on the road and need to eat carry out, I cant drink water because I am driving and will have to use the bathroom all the time.......on and on and on the list went. I knew this would be yet another disappointment in my life.

Then the week was over. I ate my calories1400 + my exercise cals. Down 2 pounds:noway: Why?........How?............Amazing.

I then decided I could do 1 more week. And so it went. A week, a pound, a mile at a time.

On my 1st week I could lift 1 lb weights and walk to the corner.......seriously 1 block.....every other day I added a bit more walking......bought 2 lb weights and so forth.

Now I feel like I could do anything. In just over a yrs time I have changed my life. I know that sounds corney, but if 1 person reads this and thinks..........."Dang, if she can do it so can I!" Then it will be worth the effort of writing.

I Thank God that this year I am not sitting here, crying about what could have been, but celebrating what its.

MFP has been an intrical part of this process. The support on the boards, the friends I have made, the info you all have shared...........this IS the difference!!

You can DO this!!

:heart: Jeannie

Very inspirational, thnx so much for sharing. I am such a softie, it brought a tear to my eye. So many of us think its impossible and you are right, you just have to stop making excuses and just DO IT! Not Monday, not next month, but today!

Great job on all the loss, but more importantly great job on improving urself inside and out. I am so happy for you, and hope to one day look back and feel the same.

:smile:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    jeannie, thanks for the sharing your experience. i enjoy reading your posts. congratulations on your success (so far)--nice biceps!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!