How long do you wait after eating to workout?

Options
I don't necessarily like to work out first thing in the morning but sometimes that's all my schedule will allow for. I have to eat breakfast in the morning or I cannot function.

I've been waiting about an hour after breakfast to work out....wondering if that's enough time for my food to digest or should I be waiting a little longer?

I also drink hot water with lemon upon waking so I'm hoping that helps get the digestive process going a little sooner than later!

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I wait at least an hour, but I hate working out on a full stomach.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Depends what I ate and how much I ate but typically a good 1.5 - 2 hours is what I need. If I have any food still digesting when I start to work out I can feel it and it makes me sluggish which ruins the whole workout. Generally if I can get a full two hours after a meal I have a good energy peak and its usually a good workout for me.
  • shrednyc85
    shrednyc85 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something small like a granola bar or some light fruit, then you should be able to work out right away or within a few minutes.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I get up and exercise. I can't eat right after. I shower, make a cup of coffee and relax. About an hour or an hour and a half after I exercise I'm HUNGRY. :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    After eating, it is strongly recommended to wait at least 1 hour before you start working out. 2 hours would be much, much better.

However, if all you're eating is something small and light, you can start working out right away. After all, endurance athletes eat food during the race, and not just energy snacks. Things like sandwiches and the like!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    An hour at least. But I don't eat a huge breakfast and top up with a protein shake after my work out.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I get up and exercise. I can't eat right after. I shower, make a cup of coffee and relax. About an hour or an hour and a half after I exercise I'm HUNGRY. :)

You should at least have a glass of milk or something right after your workout. It will give your body something to use to speed up recovery and increase the benefits from the workout itself!
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    An hour is perfect, but sometimes I wait a little bit longer if I ate something really filling. Same goes with a lot of water intake, I'd wait an hour after that as well, you'll cramp up if you consume food and water shortly before a workout...
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think you have to listen to your own body -- I usually try to eat something small no sooner than half an hour before my workouts.

As an interesting aside, my husband just ran the SF marathon and trained with a coached team beforehand. They taught him that if you're working out for a long time (like running for a couple of hours or more), it's advised to drink every 20 minutes and ALSO to eat a little something about that often. Like a couple bites of a Power Bar or something -- again, whatever works for your body. The thinking is that this keeps your fuel level constant. He said it made a huge difference in his endurance when he followed this advise. He's 46 and finished the marathon in 4.5 hours!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    10 hours.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I ate. I usually wait about an hour. Or, maybe just eat a protein bar or something small first, and then eat a mid morning snack after the workout.
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    After eating, it is strongly recommended to wait at least 1 hour before you start working out. 2 hours would be much, much better.

However, if all you're eating is something small and light, you can start working out right away. After all, endurance athletes eat food during the race, and not just energy snacks. Things like sandwiches and the like!

Just curious why it is strongly reccommended. obviously if you dont like working out with a full stomach thats one thing. Is there a biological reason? Reason I ask is that my strength/cardio workouts are at night after dinner, can be anywhere from 30 min to 3 hrs after. I haven't noticed any difference either way.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Normally an hour...really depends on how my body feels.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters, as long as you have enough energy to get through the workout (like you don't feel faint) and you don't feel sick from having a full stomach. I eat 6 small meals during the day so I don't really have to wait a long time after eating to work out, but I like to give it at least an hour just to be safe. When I was eating 3 bigger meals a day, I would have to wait at least 3 hours or I'd feel sick.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If I am doing cardio (running) I like it to be close to 2 hours. For weight training I usually weight an hour. I also drink the hot lemon water first thing to "get things going!" Works like a charm, particularly helpful if you have a race scheduled that morning or traveling, etc!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    10 hours.

IDEA Fitness member

Really? You're just going to say something like "10 hours." and list your qualifications without giving any reasoning? You're really saying that if I eat breakfast at 9:00 a.m., I can't work out until 7:00 p.m.? I have to go hungry all day before I'm allowed to exercise? -- That's ludicrous.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    10 hours.

IDEA Fitness member

Really? You're just going to say something like "10 hours." and list your qualifications without giving any reasoning? You're really saying that if I eat breakfast at 9:00 a.m., I can't work out until 7:00 p.m.? I have to go hungry all day before I'm allowed to exercise? -- That's ludicrous.

Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever... perhaps they meant 1 hour???
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My response from a similar thread earlier today...

The way the question is worded makes it a trick question. Your pre/post workout dietary needs are night and day different if you are just doing cardio/aerobics or if you doing resistance training. Your body's primary energy source is fatty acids for cardio. If you are going to do resistance, your muscles needs glucose (from carbs) for energy and amino acids (from protein) for strength. The windows 2-3 hours before you workout, and up to 90 minutes after your workout is referred to as your recovery window. I wrote blog that discusses the differences.

RECOVERY WINDOW (Aerobic)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Nutrition1st/view/recovery-window-aerobic-294127

RECOVERY WINDOW (Resistance Training)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Nutrition1st/view/recovery-window-resistance-training-294124

HTH
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It depends on what the exercise is. Running--at least an hour. Biking--maybe 20 minutes.
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    have you tried boiled eggs? they are light on the belly, but protein dense for the Energy! for a carb, add 1/2 an apple or banana. I eat this before I teach aerobics on my early morning class. It's easy to grab as I scramble 2 sleepy kids out the door and it's something solid to use, but not so 'thick' as to make me to sluggish to get an effective workout.