Regular Ice Tea Question

I drink more Ice Tea than water, I use Sweet and low not sugar so it is a calorie free drink. Should I keep track of the tea, or should I count it as water intake? The tea flushes my system alot better than water does?

Replies

• Unless the iced tea is decaf, then you shouldn't count it as water intake.

Although some teas (especially green tea) have good nutrients, antioxidants, etc., water is still number one!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    I counted half of my weak, Stevia-sweetened iced tea as water. It didn't stop me from losing weight or staying hydrated.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,318 Member
    You can count all liquids toward you water goal according to WebMD and MayoClinic. Caffeine is slightly diuretic. I'd worry more about the Sweet N Low. Can you try to wean yourself off the sweetener?

While it isn't a proven fact that artificial sweeteners are unhealthy, I just don't like the word "artificial" to be used in conjunction with stuff I eat on a daily basis. It can't be a good thing.
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    I love tea and I was drinking tea instead of water. Until I did a little research and found that tea actually dehydrates you. Tea contains caffeine which will make you pee more often BUT it makes your kidneys work twice as hard and in return dehydrates you. Tea should not be replaced for water. Drink it on occasion but your body needs water.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Caffeinated tea is only a mild diuretic. I wouldn't do a 1:1 count of it as water. I don't track my water. I only track calories.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    I count it as water intake?
    Yes
    The tea flushes my system alot better than water does?
    No
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I love tea and I was drinking tea instead of water. Until I did a little research and found that tea actually dehydrates you. Tea contains caffeine which will make you pee more often BUT it makes your kidneys work twice as hard and in return dehydrates you. Tea should not be replaced for water. Drink it on occasion but your body needs water.
    What kind of research did you do?
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    From the id rather drink tea than water institute
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member

I had another bookmark but I'm having trouble finding it in hundreds since my FF bookmarks are not organized and chrome keeps crushing.

http://nobleharbor.com/tea/caffiene.html
  • lyttlewon

I had another bookmark but I'm having trouble finding it in hundreds since my FF bookmarks are not organized and chrome keeps crushing.

http://nobleharbor.com/tea/caffiene.html

This talks about caffeine levels. Not dehydration.
  • xarge

And it's the caffeine acting as a diuretic in human body.
  • lyttlewon

And it's the caffeine acting as a diuretic in human body.

Water acts as a diuretic. Just because something is a diuretic doesn't mean it is going to make you dehydrated.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Caffeine is only a mild diuretic, and only makes a difference in really high consumption. You can certainly count brewed iced tea as water. Tea is 98+% water. You can log the other 2% solids in solution as food if you like. :laugh:
  • xarge
    Water acts as a diuretic. Just because something is a diuretic doesn't mean it is going to make you dehydrated.

Feel free to drink beer and log as water then. In that sense alcohol won't make you dehydrated either and you won't need to drink water. Sorry, I'm too tired to discuss biochemistry at past 7 am but over 500-600 mg caffeine will leave your body less hydrated. Talk to the carbonyl and olefin.
  • lyttlewon

Feel free to drink beer and log as water then. In that sense alcohol won't make you dehydrated either and you won't need to drink water. Sorry, I'm too tired to discuss biochemistry at past 7 am but over 500-600 mg caffeine will leave your body less hydrated. Talk to the carbonyl and olefin.

We aren't talking about beer. Put your red herring away and post a link about caffeine content dehydrating you. It isn't that hard.