ZUMBA

Options

Replies

• joholloway
    Options
    Yeah Zumba is definitely not a low tier Exercise I use the zumba calorie counter and so far it seems to be pretty accurate, it bases it on your weight and teh intensity of the workout :):)

www.caloriesburnedhq.com/
  • mylesmami
    mylesmami Posts: 2
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor and you can burn 500-1000 calories per hour, depending on your intensity level and how much you weigh. I wore a HRM during one of my classes and I burned 644 calories. It is FAR from a low tier exercise.
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There are Zumba classes at the Lifetime Fitness club I attend. I wear the Polar watch to track calories burned. One lady works our butts off and I burn around 650 in an hour. Switch instructors on Friday and I only burn around 450.

The difference is huge and quit noticeable. Zumba is usually the best part of my day. I highly recommend it as a rigorous aerobic exercise providing you get a good class.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    My *kitten* is 127lbs lighter than it used to be. Zumba is my cardio....

Anyhow, I just went to the zumba website to see what kind of calories I'm burning, and then add them as "my exercises" under cardio. I easily reach 800 calories and hour doing Zumba at the gym. I've never done it on the Wii or anything, but I'm sure I wouldn't work as hard in the privacy of my home.

Though, naked zumba sounds like a lot of fun.

YOU are awesome. yep, Zumba is my cardio too. when i weighed 252, i burned 1000 calories in a 45 min. class. now at 170, I burn about 450 in 45 min. (less weight to lift, shake and jump)

Wear an HRM to be sure, the zumba calories sites are just not accurate enough.
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Today is the last day of the 30 day shred and exactly 3 months since I started working out and eating right! I lost a total of 8 inches from my body this last 30 days on the shred but the results from the past 3 months are awesome. Start date April 30th until now: My neck went from 14 inches to 12 inches, My chest went from 45 inches to 38 inches, My waist went from 39 1/2 inches to 31 inches :), My hips went from 44 1/2 inches to 38 inches, my upper arms went from 13 inches to 11 inches, my thighs went from 27 inches to 23 inches and i went from a flabby 200.8 lbs to a toned 175 lbs. I also went from a size XL /12 almost 14 dress size to a size 8 (with spandex that is loose on me) :) I love these results! Tomorrow starts Ripped in 30 for the next 30 days along with some Hip Hop Abs and Zumba for fun :)
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    LOL at the guy that compared Zumba to walking. He doesn't have a clue, does he?
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love "my-exercise-is-so-superior-to-yours-I-can't-even-see-you-from-up-here" types, especially when they post on threads obviously about a different type of exercise. LMAO

Back to the topic at hand: I log Zumba as "dance", and I wear a HRM to input the calories burned. I would caution you about using the online calculators as sometimes they can overestimate. I burn anywhere from 400-550 calories in a 50 minute live class, according to my heart rate monitor.
  • gingers72
    gingers72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba Rush on Kinect. it gives calories burned at the end of each session, is that at all accurate?? Typically I burn (according to the program) about 780 to 860 calories. To be honest I hope it is accurate.
  • smilebab
    smilebab Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi what kind of HRM do you have?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Obviously not, but wouldn't it be fun to watch him try Zumba? :laugh: My daughter's ex-football player boyfriend used to be like that to ... until she dared him to try Zumba. He couldn't last 20 min, and said "No way your mom does that!". (yes, she does)
  • skimbrough28
    skimbrough28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Last year, my mom and I lost two pounds a week on Zumba alone, its a great way to be active.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Well, using my pedometer while running, walking and zumba, I get more steps in an hour doing zumba than walking or running.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi what kind of HRM do you have?

I have a 5-6 year old Polar one. If I was going to get one now, I would get the Polar FT4. :)
  • zumbaholic7
    Options
    ZUMBA ROCKS!
    I used to do it 5x a week last year on my Kinect for XBOX, and recently decided to start it back up again, mostly because I love it!
    It puts you in such a good mood when you are done that you dont even care about the sweat dripping down your body.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Its foolish to denounce Zumba as a cardio session just because it is dancing.

It certainly couldn't be considered anaerobic exercise. I would love to see someone try and dance without breathing. therefore it is aerobic aka cardio.

This is probably the stupidest comment I've ever read on a forum. Do you really believe that anaerobic exercise means you aren't breathing? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anaerobic exercise means YOUR BODY CELLS are creating energy without oxygen....not that you aren't breathing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options

Obviously not, but wouldn't it be fun to watch him try Zumba? :laugh: My daughter's ex-football player boyfriend used to be like that to ... until she dared him to try Zumba. He couldn't last 20 min, and said "No way your mom does that!". (yes, she does)

**like** you show'd him !!!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    since zumba is such a low tier exercise you could try inputting it as walking

Low tier my *kitten*.....I burn about 800 calories in 50 minutes of Zumba and that's the low end.....low tier, now that's funny
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

**like** you show'd him !!!

I have to agree. I've had guys flat out refuse to try it..."OH, hell NOOOO." And I've had guys that try it, and they are dying on the side of the room within 15 minutes. Also, I had a guy I liked try my kickboxing class. He couldn't keep up in that either. I find it so funny how men they are they superior since they lift weights. Strength has NOTHING to do with stamina and endurance. Women are way more in shape than men because of these cardio classes. Also, I lift weights too, so I just kick their *kitten* in all aspects. :laugh:

Men:grumble:
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    But I'd put a good Zumba class on par with HIIT.

lol, 10/10, made me laugh.

When in an entire zumba class do you sprint/dance for an entire minute. It is impossible to swivel your hips hard enough to equate to an all out minuet long sprint.

A normal HIIT is sprinting for a minute, and then walk minute, sprint another, rinse and repeat. Zumba doesn't offer that kind of work effort.

Oh Sweetie, youve never done Zumba, have you?

My thoughts EXACTLY! He clearly doesn't know anything about zumba!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Its foolish to denounce Zumba as a cardio session just because it is dancing.

It certainly couldn't be considered anaerobic exercise. I would love to see someone try and dance without breathing. therefore it is aerobic aka cardio.

bless his heart, he thinks that people exercise while holding their breath, that's precious.