Weeble Wobbling?!?!

Options
I am wondering if it is all in my head or if others who have been losing or have lost weight have encountered the same problem…

BALANCE.

My sense of balance seems to have taken a nose dive into the big porcelain crapper!

Despite being large…VERY large and round…I had some pretty good balance. As I am working out and my once solid fat slabs are now becoming gelatinous, jiggley mounds of uneven, lumpy goo, I am constantly teetering, wobbling, misstepping, etc.

Is this common?
What are some of the balance things one can do to help correct this issue?

I am tired of feeling like a Weeble and unlike a Weeble, I will likely fall down!

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've found that some of my shoes (high heels) no longer fit properly, and that impacted balance. Alternatively, hormones in the last months of pregnancy loosen the joints (the body releases relaxin to loosen up the pelvic girdle for childbirth, but it's not target specific)....
  • Colleen_G
    Colleen_G Posts: 57
    Options
    I only wear sneakers and I am definitely NOT pregnant, nor have I been. lol

The wobblies are getting pretty annoying though! :ohwell:

I thought about some yoga, but I am far too large to do most of the positions that I have seen and I am too broke to go a studio. :frown:
  • Colleen_G
    Options
    ANYONE?!?!?!?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you essentially have a different body now that you've lost weight. it makes sense that there would be balance issues.

try doing stuff like standing on 1 leg or standing with your eyes closed.

yoga is good, you can look for modifications to allow for larger body or use things like blocks and straps to help you hold positions

it could also be your shoes. the more support a shoe offers, the more cushion you are walking on.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be an alarmist but if I were you I would go see your doctor there are all sorts of reasons for bad balance and I think some of them are pretty bad so please get a check up
  • Colleen_G
    Options
    I do have an appt. with the Dr. already scheduled for something else, I will ask.

This just sucks. It makes doing exercises much more difficult! :angry:
  • AV1978az
    AV1978az Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if it is all in my head or if others who have been losing or have lost weight have encountered the same problem…

BALANCE.

My sense of balance seems to have taken a nose dive into the big porcelain crapper!

Despite being large…VERY large and round…I had some pretty good balance. As I am working out and my once solid fat slabs are now becoming gelatinous, jiggley mounds of uneven, lumpy goo, I am constantly teetering, wobbling, misstepping, etc.

Is this common?
    What are some of the balance things one can do to help correct this issue?

I am tired of feeling like a Weeble and unlike a Weeble, I will likely fall down!

Shoes were the cultprit for me. I went to Road Runner Sports, Switched from my Reebok Zigtek's to Asics Kayano 18's... After a shoe fitting its been much much better. I still get fatigued but my balance has been better.
  • Colleen_G
    Options
    I LOVE Road Runner! I have two pairs from them! :bigsmile:
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    My yoga abilities really changed, but it wasn't severe and it leveled off in a reasonable amount of time. Ask your doc but it may just be that your body is carrying weight in a different way.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I don't think there is anything you can do that will immediately improve your balance. As you get in better shape, it should improve, and I also agree with the above poster about asking your doctor.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    you can also get a piece of equipment (forgot what it's called) flat circle on one side (you stand on), half a ball on the other (the part that's on the floor). Increases balance. Walmart and Target sell them (also sport stores).
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    The best improvement I've seen in balance comes from tree pose in yoga. Practice, even if you need to put one arm on the wall or something stable like a kitchen counter. Once you're good on both legs, do it with your eyes closed.

1286473762g18Td9.jpg
  • Colleen_G
    Options
    OOOHHHHHH even my monster belly can do that pose! I will give it a go!

Thanks everyone for all of your feedback on my wobbliness!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to do it! There's probably instructions on youtube for beginners, and a few tips you might find useful - http://www.myyogaonline.com/about-yoga/yoga-anatomy/tree-pose-more-than-just-balancing