personal trainer...?

Options
This question is more for the new(er) to exercise/weight training and/or those with lots to lose who are trying to increase their workout frequency and make the love for it stick... not so much those who are already in tip top shape and pro at working their stuff! :) lol unless of course they started where I am.... unfit, flubby and shy in the weight room... I have no problem with cardio... spinning, zumba, elliptical, attempting to run etc.... but I want more and I want to enjoy it.. oh and I want sexy muscles... I am also starting to read NROWL4W. I know I do better (with cardio stuff) when I attend a class like spin or zumba that push and encourage me to work harder where as on my own I don't push as hard, and I get bored spinning after 10 min...just to give a bit of insight on my mind set.

So back to my question....

if I had unlimited funds I would love to get a PT for at least 3 times a week for at least a couple of months, someone to kick my butt into gear ALL the time or at least until it's engrained into my routine & I've made it a habit and am comfortable with the regime! Alas, sadly I do not have said unlimited funds, so what I would like to know is the benefits to having a PT on a smaller scale... I know you can do a one time thing and have them set you up with a plan and regime... however I need a bit more motivation than that... is having one even once a week beneficial? What I mean by that is... do you stay motivated in your sessions between PT sessions? Have you found it more beneficial then working on your own?
also hubby were thinking about setting up a bit of a home gym...kijiji is my friend for second hand equipment... he loves to work out, not so much at the gym.. but he's experienced in all that himself lol.... would you then recommend the PT at home or at gym and then from there build home gym once I've got a routine?

I know everything is "to each their own" ... I guess I am just looking for some personal experiences and feedback :)

I hope this is clear as mud lol I know I am a bit all over the place with my questions :)

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I started out, out of shape and weak.

I got myself a personal trainer, and one thing I stress to all thrainees is that YOU ARE IN CHARGE. so:

1. Figure out what your goals are
    2. Figure out what you don't know how to do squat,deadlift, bench, clean, plank, what ever
    3. Find a competent trainer
    4. Start the training session like this: I want to learn how to squat today
    5. Start your next training session like this: I want to learn how to deadlift today
    6. keep doing this till you have perfect form on all the major compound lifts.

Don't let the trainer do what ever HE/SHE wants, make him/her train you the way YOU want. Too many trainers put people on machines or have them do mid/bottom tier exercises because they don't want to take the time to teach you proper top tier exercises.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing a trainer once a week for the past year and half.. Between the trainer, doing cardio/strength on my own, and MFP, I lost 30 pounds and 6 sizes.. so yes, a trainer once a week can be very beneficial!

Most important thing is to find a trainer who trains you how you want to be trained.. Mine is constantly asking me what do I want to work on, how do I want to train.. and it works out wonderfully. We do primarily free weights with a few machines thrown in for good measure. Then I take home the program that we did that day and repeat it on my own.

I find a PT more beneficial then working out on my own because I'm lazy.. I don't want to take time to research my own programs or set one up. I also have no interest in setting personal records when it comes to strength training, so things like strong lifts, starting strength, etc do not appeal to me. With the PT, he does all I work and I just follow along.. and get great results doing it!

There are PT's that come into the home, but I'm not sure how to get started with that as my PT is through my gym.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    great thanks! just what i need to hear! I guess I should figure what it is that I want and go from there! :)