Looking for a new scale, advice?

Options
I am embarrassed to say, I don't even own a scale right now. I just depend on my doctor's visits to see the changes. (which have all been up, up, up!). I see my doc every 3-5 months. But now that I am logging in here, I would like to start weighing myself to track progress. So, I have two things to address here:

1) I need a scale. I don't mind spending a little bit of money, but I am not wealthy by any means. So looking for the most economical scale that does the job accurately and precisely. I went to the store to test some out, and they all seemed to bounce around with outlandish and erratic results. I am at a loss. What should I look for?

2) What is the best way to track your progress? I am trying to lose about 20 pounds. I am 5'2 and last week at the doctor's office, he weighed me in at 152 pounds. In order to get out of the overweight bracket, he said I should shoot for 131 (max "normal" weight for my height) or less. I know weight can fluctuate between a few pounds on a daily basis. I have read that you should only weigh yourself once a week, and I have also read that you should weigh yourself daily and then take an average at the end of the week. Not sure which is the best strategy.

Any thoughts or advice on the two subjects? Thanks!

Replies

• LittleRedBird18
    LittleRedBird18 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hmm...Still haven't gotten any replies to this. And I am still very curious, lol. Is there a better board to post this question? If this is the wrong spot, let me know.
  • PacificSunsetXO
    Options
    Hi there! I don't have a reliable scale so I just purchased one on Amazon yesterday! What a coincidence! Anyway, it's called EatSmart. It was about $28. It has really good reviews. I guess I'll see for myself when it gets here! Good luck on your search. :-)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    As far as scales go, I'd get a digital one. I've had a couple of Tanitas that I would recommend and I recently got a fitbit aria that I also like. Both brands seem to be accurate (repeatable), but have different features.

As for the 2nd question - it is a very personal preference. I fall into the "weigh every day" category, which is one reason I like the Aria scale, since it logs it for me. I like a lot of data, but I also understand that my weight fluctuates so I don't get upset if I gain a pound or excited if I lose a pound. I only pay attention to what my weight does over about a month's time. As far as actually taking the measurement, the goal is to hold as many variables as possible constant. For most people, that means weighing early in the morning before you eat and drink and while naked, but you just have to use some common sense with how you fit it into your life.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    Is it digital? Let me know what you think when it arrives. Funny that we both need one at the same time.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    As far as scales go, I'd get a digital one. I've had a couple of Tanitas that I would recommend and I recently got a fitbit aria that I also like. Both brands seem to be accurate (repeatable), but have different features.

As for the 2nd question - it is a very personal preference. I fall into the "weigh every day" category, which is one reason I like the Aria scale, since it logs it for me. I like a lot of data, but I also understand that my weight fluctuates so I don't get upset if I gain a pound or excited if I lose a pound. I only pay attention to what my weight does over about a month's time. As far as actually taking the measurement, the goal is to hold as many variables as possible constant. For most people, that means weighing early in the morning before you eat and drink and while naked, but you just have to use some common sense with how you fit it into your life.

Thanks so much for the info, I will look into both of the scales. I never thought about one that logged the info. That would be a nice feature to have. Are these scales pretty pricey? I am on a budget right now. :(

Also, should I weigh myself daily but not log in the number on this site for at least a month?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    log it on mfp as often as you like, but just remember, its just another number. You probably don't freak out if you go over on sodium one day, so why people freak out if their weight goes up a little one day is beyond me!

What I was saying about a months time is that it is difficult to really tell what your weight does on a day to day basis. But, stick to your diet for a long period of time and then compare your weight and you will be able to see more accurate results.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    Thanks. I think it will be hard not to wait that long, argh. Although at most, I would probably only lose about five pounds in a month. So I guess I will have to wait to see results, lol.