McDonald's -- Official Restaurant of the Olympic Games

Options
I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this while watching the Olympics last night.

Replies

• sky3z
    sky3z Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    mmm double quarter pounder with cheese. haha
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I know, right? It's crazy. What's even crazier is when you see Olympic athletes endorsing them for money... we all know they don't eat there, except for maybe a coffee here and there.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I know, right? It's crazy. What's even crazier is when you see Olympic athletes endorsing them for money... we all know they don't eat there, except for maybe a coffee here and there.

Exactly! The first thing I said after seeing that was, "I highly doubt Olympians eat there." I'm nowhere close to an Olympic athlete, and I don't even eat there! Granted, they do have some things that aren't as bad as others, but it's still a poor choice. If I'm going to eat fast food, I want actual food.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I worked at McDonald's last summer and the salads are actually very popular.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    heh.

They just pay the most money...
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

LOL.

you would be surprised.

once you're actually in shape, not trying to lose weight... with enough muscle that your daily calorie requirements are decently high.. a McDs meal every once in awhile doesnt mean much.
    I know some high level athletes that eat fast food 2 or 3 times a week... should they? thats debatable. can they? yeah.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    heh.

yup.

for enough money, I could pay to be "the coolest person of the 2012 Olympic Games"
  • human28
    human28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its crazy, I doubt coke is the best drink to rehydrate yourself either and they seem to sponsor sport
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    heh.

yup.

for enough money, I could pay to be "the coolest person of the 2012 Olympic Games"

That would be awesome, you should do that.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    It's a branding exercise they want to be seen as a healthy and fresh food supplier. The perfect couple!
  • BarbACona
    BarbACona Posts: 76
    Options
    Yeah I had a few laughs over this as well.. The idea that all those highly trained athelets are fueling their bodies for competition on Big Macs and Fires is just ludicrous!
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Funny part is we get to watch the Olympics here at my work on a big screen but there is no sound. If you watch the commercial with no sound the athlete always looks disgusted at the food. The few commercials I have watched I never see the athlete eat the food.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh that drinking a coke helps support the Olympic athletes. They could at least have some healthy sponsors.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    heh.

^^ Defo this! ^^
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    When I first heard this, I thought it HAD to be a joke. Saw a post on Facebook that I think summarized it nicely: "McDonalds as the official restaurant of the Olympics is like smoking being the official medicine of lung cancer..."

Not really a perfect analogy, but I think it makes the point.
  • KeepJoJoPushin
    Options
    I also found myself shakin my head at that. McDonald's an athletes.....I'm pretty sure big macs an coke didn't get them to the Olympics.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK and went to the Olympic Stadium last week...

If you want to buy Fries/Chips without anything else, you can only buy them at McD's - you can buy Fish and Chips together from other vendors, but you can't buy Fries seperatley unless you go to McD's.

If you want Chocolate you can only buy Cadbury's and when it come to paying for it all - you can only pay with VISA or Cash, no other cards accepted!

These Sponsors know how to make some money!! :laugh:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... it's been this way for as long as I can remember... same with coke... it's all about advertising money... something interesting that I have heard is the lowest performing franchise is the one in the Olympic Village.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this while watching the Olympics last night.
    Would you prefer the Official restaurant to be Five Guys?
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    mmm double quarter pounder with cheese. haha

No, no...it's a double "Royale" with cheese...they have the metric system, remember? LOL :)