Stalled on bench press

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    All this machine talk is saddening me, Is you goal general fitness or a body builder?

Machines are fine for a body builder since all they need to do is look HUGE and a fit body isn't necessary.

With machines they can easily put your body in a line of motion that isn't correct and takes all the balance work than any fitness athlete needs.

Finding a spotter is as easy as "hey will you spot me, don't touch the bar unless I call out 'help' ".

I've hard the hardest time trying to get the fitness coaches to help me with dumbbells. I want to do upper body exercises with light (5 - 8 lbs) with dumbells. Twice they put me on machines despite me protesting it. I quit trying to use the weight room but I went back today. Today was the third one that was insisting I use the machines and I had to keep saying No. Even when I was on the weight bench he was trying to tell me to use a machine. The problem is I need help with positioning so I need to ask them for help. I want to keep going to the weight room but this is difficult to deal with.

Then why use the coaches if you don't like their methods? And why do you want to use 5 lb weights! Your purse weighs more. A bag of groceries weighs 4x more. It's actually harder to teach form without weight.
  • lisa_swims
    lisa_swims Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I need help positioning is why I ask them for help.

I was hoping to do the BFL journal where you start out light and keep increasing it. Both times I've insisted on dumbbells they gave me such a hard time I was happy to finish 1 set with them. Twice they would not help me unless I used the machines. I refuse to use them again though.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ignore the fact that you're using machines instead of free weights and point out that you're doing too much work instead. If your dates are correct you're hitting it every other day, if not every day. Where is the time to rest, recover, and grow?

every other day with low volume is ok for a beginner who can't move a lot of weight. EVERY day isn't good for anyone.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Be sure to change up your routine every 8 to 12 weeks.
    Maybe try something like 5X5 workouts for a while....that routine is supposed to be very good for building max strength.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Bump...some good information here.

My bench hasn't stalled, but it's VERY slow...one of the things I'm currently researching :)
  • Determinednoob
    Options

My bench hasn't stalled, but it's VERY slow...one of the things I'm currently researching :)

perhaps you are strong enough that it is just going to be slow? what is the ratio of your 1rm to bodyweight?
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    BuMP
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ignore the fact that you're using machines instead of free weights and point out that you're doing too much work instead. If your dates are correct you're hitting it every other day, if not every day. Where is the time to rest, recover, and grow?

This^^^ With more rest you will progress in a better way.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So, would it be better to do
    Day 1 5 of 10 exercises
    Day 2 the other 5
    Day 3 rest
    Day 4 = day 1 etc?
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    So, would it be better to do
    Day 1 5 of 10 exercises
    Day 2 the other 5
    Day 3 rest
    Day 4 = day 1 etc?

Better to do day 1, 5 of the 10 (workout A).

Day 2 rest

Day 3 the other 5 (workout B)

Day 4 rest

Day 5 the first 5 (workout A)

Day 6 and 7 rest

Day 1 of the next week, workout B

Day 2 rest

Day 3 workout A...

You get the idea?
  • crisanderson27
    Options

perhaps you are strong enough that it is just going to be slow? what is the ratio of your 1rm to bodyweight?

I've never done a 1rm, and I'm not using a true bench at the moment due to a shoulder injury I got doing 95lbs/arm on a 5x5 format with dumbbell chest presses.

But to answer you, I'm 185lbs, and my 5rm on that stupid hammer strength machine that I hate, is 250lbs.
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Finding a spotter is as easy as "hey will you spot me, don't touch the bar unless I call out 'help' ".

Or you could sing it:

Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm doing bench press
    So spot me maybe?
  • Determinednoob
    Options

I've never done a 1rm, and I'm not using a true bench at the moment due to a shoulder injury I got doing 95lbs/arm on a 5x5 format with dumbbell chest presses.

But to answer you, I'm 185lbs, and my 5rm on that stupid hammer strength machine that I hate, is 250lbs.

Yeah dude, you're too strong (lol?) to increase very fast anymore (natty). You need to look into 5/3/1 or some other intermediate-advanced lifting routine\method
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Or you could sing it:

Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    So spot me maybe?

Dude, this effin rocks lol.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Yeah dude, you're too strong (lol?) to increase very fast anymore (natty). You need to look into 5/3/1 or some other intermediate-advanced lifting routine\method

I'm doing reverse pyramid now, and making gains slowly (like...half a rep/week on my main lift lol). Wednesdays sets looked like this:

Warmup: 90lbs*5, 120lbs*5, 140lbs*5
    Working: 250lbs*5 (dead locked, no attempt at 6), 200lbs*5, 180lbs*6
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I'm doing reverse pyramid now, and making gains slowly (like...half a rep/week on my main lift lol). Wednesdays sets looked like this:

I agree Chris, you're at the point where things taper a bit. Since I don't work out with you, it's hard to diagnose. Two suggestions. Put a small increase of weight on the bar. Put those cookies (2.5 lbs) on each end. Your body shouldn't notice the difference and you should get your same 5 reps. Then add more cookies the next week, and the next. The other suggestion is perhaps you need more power/explosion? The guy I'm working with now; this is his issue. So we added some plyo pushups to the end of the chest routine. Once again, without seeing how the weight is moving it's hard to say. Bonus option. Take a week or two off, come back and use lighter weights for higher reps (8-10 range) for three weeks, then resume 5x5.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

I havent done a terrible amount of research into what to do when that strong cause i'm just not there yet, but I am pretty sure people doing 5/3/1, one example of an intermediate to advanced routine, increase the weight they user monthly
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options

Or you could sing it:

Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    So spot me maybe?

LMFAO!!! That's so awesome!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately if you really want to take a run at increasing your bench you're gonna have to ditch the machines and get on the bench with a barbell and get some DB work in there too. Just work in sets of 3's or 5's and work to a max, don't really need a spotter for that. Throw-in 2 or 3 sets of max rep DB bench presses and you'll be good. Rotate the bench press with the floor press, close-grip press, incline-press, and even low-pin rack press if you can and go from there. Get some sets of heavy tricep work and sets of moderate tricep work, Lat work, and even some shoulder to work to strengthen and protect your delts.

5/3/1 would be excellent for you.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I havent done a terrible amount of research into what to do when that strong cause i'm just not there yet, but I am pretty sure people doing 5/3/1, one example of an intermediate to advanced routine, increase the weight they user monthly

Every four weeks basically they increment the weight, if they can of course.

Honestly, if you want to try and get your bench moving I'd take a look at Westside for Skinny *kitten* 3 or maybe even the full Westside Method. I know people see Westside and think chains, bands, and that it's confusing, difficult, and for advanced lifters, but it's really not. Joe DeFranco's version (Westside for Skinny *kitten*) is super simple to follow and doesn't require chains or anything and can easily be adopted by even beginners, hence the name "Skinny *kitten*" (aka, no muscle mass).