retaining water and TOM

Options
I am retaining water weight bad with my TOM! And extra 8 pounds and I'm horribly uncomfortable! How can I shed this water weight fast!? I'm drinking lots of water and I exercised this morning and I'm eating foods with no sodium. What else?...

Replies

• mayakiss
    mayakiss Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it...nothing. Don't worry it will be gone a week later. Of then the regular over the counter stuff like Midol...etc.
    The week before I am always up 3 to 5 pounds. The follwing week I lose what I "gained" and a pound more. Something we have to go through every 28 days.
    Sorry!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hate to admit it, but it's just one of those pains of being a woman. I don't even bother stepping on the scale around that time of the month. It's been nothing but devastating. Instead, just keep fending off any cravings,drink plenty of water, and keep up the exercise.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Water with lemon and caffeinated green tea (also with lemon).
    Both are diuretics. I pushed a ton last month when I had mine and I gained not one ounce.
    Watch your sodium, too as that will just make bloating worse anyways.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    ok thanks
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling bloated, I'll drink a bunch of water and then drink a diet coke or really anything with caffeine in it. The caffeine is a diuretic and will help your body release the fluids. I don't drink much caffeine so maybe the effect is exaggerated for me, but it's worth a shot.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Midol is literally caffeine and Tylenol.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am retaining water weight bad with my TOM! And extra 8 pounds and I'm horribly uncomfortable! How can I shed this water weight fast!? I'm drinking lots of water and I exercised this morning and I'm eating foods with no sodium. What else?...

Midol that has a diuretic in it.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I hate my weight during TOM! I don't even lose after it's over, I only maintain whatever my weight was from the previous week. It's like I only have three weeks out of the month to lose weight instead of four. And I don't overeat during TOM...in fact I'm never hungry during it.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    during my TOM i don't even go near a scale. i don't want to have an emotional beotch fest because i gained 5 lbs haha. just do what you always do and don't weigh yourself that week.
  • MarieAnneN
    MarieAnneN Posts: 205
    Options
    Water with lemon and caffeinated green tea (also with lemon).
    Both are diuretics. I pushed a ton last month when I had mine and I gained not one ounce.
    Watch your sodium, too as that will just make bloating worse anyways.

Yep, I get a lot of water with lemon and green tea too. I feel better within a day or 2 normally when I do so.
    Otherwise, my belly looks like I am 3 months pregnant again, argh!
  • kristineclair
    kristineclair Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    asparagus is a strong diuretic
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    take water pills
  • dyn3428
    dyn3428 Posts: 14
    Options
    Add lemon juice to your water, fresh is best. It works like a diuretic!!! Really does work.

Quick fix, first thing in the am, squeeze the juice of half a lemon into about 4-6 oz of lukewarm water.
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    asparagus is a strong diuretic

Thank you! I'll have that with dinner tonight!:flowerforyou:
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    If I'm feeling bloated, I'll drink a bunch of water and then drink a diet coke or really anything with caffeine in it. The caffeine is a diuretic and will help your body release the fluids. I don't drink much caffeine so maybe the effect is exaggerated for me, but it's worth a shot.

I've had about 11 cups of water today and 3 of them were coffee so hopfully that'll release some....
  • TXHunny84
    Options

Midol that has a diuretic in it.

I took pamprin this morning because of the diuretic in it. :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

It's temporary!!! Don't get obsessed with the number on your scale....especially during that time of month. Are you going to freak out every 30 days. It's part of being a woman. Eat healthy, drink lot's of water and it will be over in a few days!
  • 40tmw
    40tmw Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So thankful for this thread. I have been so discouraged the last two weeks because of this. Was considering taking something to ease the water retention and now I know I am going to! My ankles are swollen and I look terrible, even though I know I am doing everything I am supposed to! Now I am going to relax and be patient and keep pushing on! Thanks!
  • HotelWife
    HotelWife Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat this week - it sucks! I keep feeling like I'm about to lose motivation and then I talk myself down off the ledge. But thanks for this thread, you've just reminded me to pour a giant glass of water. :)
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this topic, I know it's been discussed before but it's nice to have a forum for support. I was so discouraged this week, realistically I know I didn't gain 8 lbs in 48 hrs, I haven't done anything differently in terms of energy in energy out, but you look at the scale and it can be discouraging. It's nice to hear other people deal with the same thing, sometimes I just need to hear common sense encouragement from other people.