not open to telling anyone about wanting to lose weight?

Options
i don't know why, but i feel that losing weight implies that you want to look better... which is something vain people do. obviously everyone cares about their appearance to an extent and as a girl i AM more likely to be considered a failure if i'm not sufficiently thin, and yet i'm still hesitant to admit to anyone that i'm trying to lose weight. in the past, when i started running and lost about 20 lbs over the summer, i was careful to present the weight loss as an accidental side effect of another goal (it wasn't). sometimes when i was complimented on my weight loss i would even respond with, "i lost weight? my, i didn't notice i was so busy with [insert an important-sounding project here]." (yeah, right.)

anyone else feel the same way, or is it just me?

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Personally, no.. it doesn't bother me. Unless people are blind they can see that I have weight that I need to lose to be healthy. If anything just say that you're focusing on being healthier and the weight loss is an added bonus. :P
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    You're not alone.... lol almost everyone I know thats trying to lose weight and succeeding feels the same way to an extent.

its even harder for a guy.. atleast as a girl people generally recognize that women try to lose weight.. most people think its odd for a guy to think about his weight at all.

its even worse if you're a guy thats in better shape then the person you're talking to. after all, if you think you're out of shape, what does that say about what you think about them?

unless they're already fit, making other people weight conscious, tends to bring them out of their comfort zone... and when you bring people out of their comfort zone, you never know how they will react.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I really don't care if people don't like the fact that I want to look better and be healthier, and I don't consider it vanity. I don't go around advertising the fact that I'm losing weight to anybody who'll listen, but I don't hide it or deflect it if people comment or ask about it. IMO, most people who make snide or derogatory comments about it are jealous.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Well, there's no law that says you HAVE to tell anyone ......

Three years ago I decided to lose weight ....... never told a soul, not even my husband ...... if anyone questioned my food choices, I'd just say I was tired of eating ________ and wanted something different. Lost 25 lbs before anyone noticed, and even then I sidestepped the issue. At 30 lbs lost, I told my husband I needed some new clothes & let my shorts fall down to the ground to prove it :laugh:

Now he & I are both on board with losing weight, and have a friendly little competition going on :drinker:

Do what works for you .... and best of luck !
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I really don't care if people don't like the fact that I want to look better and be healthier, and I don't consider it vanity. I don't go around advertising the fact that I'm losing weight to anybody who'll listen, but I don't hide it or deflect it if people comment or ask about it. IMO, most people who make snide or derogatory comments about it are jealous.

this ^^

I used to feel the way you do in that I didn't want people to know. For me it was an ego thing that I didn't want to admit to people that I was trying to improve myself. Once I got past my ego and admitted that I needed to change and don't care who knows, I successfully lost weight. Like was said, I don't broadcast it, but if people ask, I'm not ashamed to tell them.