No Inches Lost, But Clothes Looser. Very Confused.

Options
I started Supreme 90 last month and decided to weigh and measure myself every 30 days to check my progress. For those who don't know, Supreme 90 is the poor (or cheap) man's version of P90X. The schedule is pretty much 4 days weight training/2 days cardio.

Over the past few weeks, I've gotten stronger, particularly in my upper body. My outer thighs, upper back, and arms all have non flex definiton now. My abs are also more defined. I just visibly look better.

My skirts and tops are fitting more comfortably. My jeans are looser around my thighs and I'm going to have to start wearing a belt with them in short order because I kept having to pull them up when I wore them on Saturday.

So why, oh why, did I show no inches lost when I measured myself on Saturday? It defies logic. I am honestly too perplexed to be disappointed.

I did lose three pounds, which is good considering that I have my weight loss on pace for 1/2 pound per week. I don't log food here, but I do keep a food journal and I'm not going over calories.

I thought muscle definition was the result of losing fat and exposing the muscle underneath. I have new definition, yet my measurements are the same. I've read a zillion times on this board that one can't gain muscle on a deficit, so what the heck is going on? I know about "newbie" gains, but I'm not new to resistance training and I'm not lifting all that heavy.

I'm not going to quit or anything, because I can see and feel progress, even if the measuring tape doesn't agree. I'm just trying to figure out how this is possible.

Replies

• AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Oh god me too me too! Bizarre isnt it?? I thought I'd see inches off as trousers fitting better and even the scale is down. Ive been doing NROL4W . Only thing I did see was 1.5 inches off my thigh...

Wasnt thinking too much about it but saw your post and burst out laughing - Im not alone!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    There is such a variable with measuring tape. I mean unless you have a tattoo line all the way around every measurement point on your body, it's kinda hard to know EXACTLY where you measured last time. Your clothes are fitting better all around...so that is HUGE, like you said!! Keep up the good work!! I only measure every few months. I just bought Supreme 90 day...i started it then LITERALLY FELL off the ball LOL!
    And you have definition!! That is AAAWWWEEESSSOOMMMEEE!! ;) Congrats Matiara! Ya dun gud! ;)
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone. A few days before I measured, I tried on a pair of shorts that I could not fit a couple of months ago. I could barely button them, pinched fat hung over the waistband, and I couldn't breathe when I sat in them. Now, they button fine, the pinched fat is diminished and not hanging over the waist, and my oxygen supply wasn't cut off when I sat. Yet not inches lost. Bizarro.

AthenaErr: If I could figure out how to do avatars on this board, Buffy would totally be it. She's my avatar at other message boards.

mamamc03: Well, I do have a birthmark where I measure my waist, so I know I'm hitting the same spot there, at least. :) I took into account the margin of error for measuring myself, but I've been taking my measurements since I was a teen and think that I'm pretty good at it. I don't think I would be off *so* much as to miss all progress, you know? Maybe I've lost in the spots that I don't measure. I measure mid thigh, but perhaps my upper thighs are where I lost. I measure my waist, but perhaps I lost below there. That would make sense.

Sunday was my first encounter with Ultimate Ball after almost three weeks. I did better on some of the exercises due to improved upper body strength, but I totally had some pratfalls a few times. I don't know if I'll ever get used to it.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think it might be where you are losing weight you may not be measuring, or not measuring in the EXACT same spot as last time. Other factors might be how tight you are pulling the tape measure, etc. But obviously you are losing inches if your clothes are loser! Congratulations!