hi-tech scale brings major disappointments

Options
i just bought a new hi-tech weight watcher`s scale that gives me a more accurate reading of my weight plus other stuff like my body fat, bmi, bone density, hydration, etc.

well i didn`t predict how discouraging a new scale could be. first, it told me i weigh several pounds more than my home scale or the scale at the gym indicated, and even more disheartening, although my BMI is not obese (overweight, but not obese), the new scale told me that my body fat is 32%, which is obese, apparently. i must admit i`m kind of shocked because at 5 foot 10 inches with a waist of just under 29 inches and wearing a size 12-14 i really thought i wasn`t doing all that badly. the higher weight is really discouraging, too, because i thought i was within 20 pounds of my goal and had lost over 20 pounds so far, but now with this new scale i`m more than 20 pounds away from my goal, even if i maybe still have lost over 20 pounds.

going back into my check-in and deleting the last few weight entries was so depressing i thought i might cry, and even though bingeing is not really my style i`m kind of worried about a relapse now. i was losing weight so slowly (my choice) that deleting the last few pounds of weight loss represents a setback of months, rather than days or weeks.

any helpful thoughts out there?

Replies

• mtweety33
    Options
    Why bother changing scales only to make yourself depressed??? And who's to say that you're weight watcher's scales is more accurate. The name brand doesn't necessarily make it more accurate, for all you know it could be completely off. Anyway I would suggest that you continue with the scale that you started with. Even if it is a few pounds off it will be the same amount off each time you weigh yourself. Therefore it should still be good for monitoring weight loss. If the other scale makes you happier and more motivated then use it!!! Don't let hi-tech scales bring you down.

143295.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Scales vary, and BMI and other calculations on them are not overly accurate. Take it with a grain of salt. Switching scales can be very disappointing as your weight can vary from scale to scale. Your best bet is to find a good set of scales (outside of the house), and weigh yourself once a week or once every two weeks. I prefer to use the scales at my doc's office as I've been weighing myself on them for years so it gives me a more accurate idea of my progress.
  • Ginny2912
    Options
    I know it's tough but try not to be discouraged! You sound like you are doing awesome! Losing 20 pounds is nothing to sniff at! I have only lost 4 pounds and I am over the moon, that's just exciting cause it's 4 pounds less than a week ago! I hope this helps somehow!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    i just bought a new hi-tech weight watcher`s scale that gives me a more accurate reading of my weight plus other stuff like my body fat, bmi, bone density, hydration, etc.

well i didn`t predict how discouraging a new scale could be. first, it told me i weigh several pounds more than my home scale or the scale at the gym indicated, and even more disheartening, although my BMI is not obese (overweight, but not obese), the new scale told me that my body fat is 32%, which is obese, apparently. i must admit i`m kind of shocked because at 5 foot 10 inches with a waist of just under 29 inches and wearing a size 12-14 i really thought i wasn`t doing all that badly. the higher weight is really discouraging, too, because i thought i was within 20 pounds of my goal and had lost over 20 pounds so far, but now with this new scale i`m more than 20 pounds away from my goal, even if i maybe still have lost over 20 pounds.

going back into my check-in and deleting the last few weight entries was so depressing i thought i might cry, and even though bingeing is not really my style i`m kind of worried about a relapse now. i was losing weight so slowly (my choice) that deleting the last few pounds of weight loss represents a setback of months, rather than days or weeks.

any helpful thoughts out there?

WAIT~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you weighed yourself on a certain scale from the beginning.......20 pounds is TWENTY pounds.......period!!

How do you feel? I gotta tell you that at 5'8" and size 12 you are not obese. No way, no how.

Enjoy your new you, and pay no never mind to that new fangled scale. :flowerforyou:
  • hedkie
    hedkie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i really appreciate the words of encouragements; thanks a lot!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    How the hell does your scaled know what your BMI is?

Does it just put your Ht/Wt in a matrix and spit it out. How does it know how thick your bones are, or muscle mass.

The BMI scales say my target weight should be 195. Nothing short of a collassol famine is getting me to 195.

And I agree, 20 lbs on a scale is 20 lbs. And I also agree not to get too hung up on it. I know I'm succeeding because I look better, it's easier to get out a chair, and I have more energy. I could go on, but thats not the point.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    YIKES!!! Return those scales to the hell in which they were forged!:laugh:

If the scales at the gym (assuming they are a balance scale) tell you20# then believe that!!!

Don't be discouraged! You are doing great!