Workout beginner - help?

Options
2»

Replies

• SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you want to build up slowly, I suggest the book You Are Your Own Gym. It has good suggestions for easier versions of the typical bodyweight exercise movies, so you can take it step by step until you can do the tough version. You don't necessarily need to use weights to build strength, especially at the beginning. I'm not anti-weights or saying that you shouldn't use them when you're at the gym, though!

As for cardio, just go outside for a run! I see you can't run a whole mile without stopping... that's okay! Most people can't! I suggest downloading the C25k application for your phone and using that program. It alternates walking and running, getting progressively harder until you're running the entire time for about 30 minutes.
  • mburger84
    mburger84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    just start walking! and jog as much of it as you can but dont get discouraged if you cant run a mile, jog when you can otherwise just walk at least 3x a week, daily if possible. also add in weight lifting, that helps a lot.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    just start walking! and jog as much of it as you can but dont get discouraged if you cant run a mile, jog when you can otherwise just walk at least 3x a week, daily if possible. also add in weight lifting, that helps a lot.

second this
  • vtachycardia
    Options

second this

I don't. I loathe, despise, detest running especially distance running. BORING BORING BORING.

If in my bid to lose weight, get fit and the only option was running then I would still be in terrible shape. Without one bit of runnning my 'practically dead' level of fitness is now pretty good, if fitness means, strength, stamina, balance, flexibility then I have it. And no bad knees, twisted ankles, jarred vertebrae or any of the other myriad of injuries that seem to befall my marathon, triathlon, ultra runner friends.

Want to run, run. Want to work your body and your heart and your balance and your strength and your flexibility there are greater workouts to do in 30 to 45 minutes than running or walking. You want 'bang for your buck', not endless hours of drudgery when you could be doing other things.

IMHO